When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

ETA 2824-2 or 2836 ?

clem2192

Hi guys,

What is the general consensus regarding the best movement for a Franken 16610 ??

Would I be best with either an ETA 2824-2 with h4 canon pinion or 2836??

I will hopefully be using either a TC or Sean case (unless there are others that can take gen parts??), will both movements fit in both cases without modifications??

Obviously I want the movement gives me the best options, I don't want to limit myself to only being able to use 1 case.

Help / feedback would be much appreciated

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

Does a gen Rolex date wheel fit an ETA 2824-2 movement ?? Or do I need to use a good rep (TC) DWO ??

Also do gen hands fit an ETA 2824-2 or do I again need to use a good rep set made specifically for the ETA ??

Cheers

Edited by clem2192

Does a gen Rolex date wheel fit an ETA 2824-2 movement ?? Or do I need to use a good rep (TC) DWO ??

Also do gen hands fit an ETA 2824-2 or do I again need to use a good rep set made specifically for the ETA ??

Cheers

Rolex Date Wheel wont fit, it also runs in the opposite direction so the date would in effect go back 31,30, 29 etc. TC DWO is the best bet.

Gen hands wont fit, again a TC hand set would be good.

Also, how easy is it to get a gen dial to fit an ETA movement ?!

I believe that the dial feet need to be removed (is this correct) ??

Have there been any how to's on this ? Completed a quick search but to no avail

Cheers

Bending dial feet to break them off can sometimes make a dimple on the dial that will show on the front side.

On thin dials, it is usually better to cut the feet off with nippers then file or grind the rest of the dial foot off. Be careful not to allow the nippers to touch the dial and lever the dial foot up or side to side when cutting because it might make a dimple in the dial. When cutting a dial foot off, do not hold the dial tight or the cutter may bend the dial foot enough to make a dimple in the dial. Put something soft in the palm of your hand to rest the dial on without holding it and cut the dial foot off being careful not to allow any pressure on the dial...a piece of soft chamois etc . Paper might scratch a gloss dial..

You can sometimes get by with twisting dial feet back and forth to break them off without damage...no guarantee.

When using a Dremel tool etc to grind  the dial feet down, be careful not to get them hot enough to raise the paint on the front of the dial.

Clem,

There are lots of posts on the very questions you are asking. you should consider the search function as your friend. If you haven't been able to find what you are looking for, you are using the wrong keywords to search.

Here is a hint to start your search, Dial dots

Clem...no inference intended, but from the questions that you are asking, it seems that you might do some work on some less expensive components prior to building your grail sub. All of us have destroyed some once in a lifetime equipment trying to accomplish what we were not up to. When you start fitting a Rolex dial to a non-Rolex movement...the first, second and third time is a struggle to get it right. Pan said there are searches and among those are some good tutorial that have been developed by members who have (I am sure) torn up a lot of parts before they got good at it. This is like a university education...our training did not come cheap. Nor our watches. Most could have bought a gen Sub with the parts we have destroyed.

Rolex Date Wheel wont fit, it also runs in the opposite direction so the date would in effect go back 31,30, 29 etc. TC DWO is the best bet.

Gen hands wont fit, again a TC hand set would be good.

Wrong a 1570 runs the wrong way but a 16610 (3135 I think) date wheel runs the same way and can be used as a very expensive overlay

Wrong a 1570 runs the wrong way but a 16610 (3135 I think) date wheel runs the same way and can be used as a very expensive overlay

Thanks, think I'll still go with a TC DWO, cheaper and not going for a Superfranken, just Franken

Thanks for all your advice guys, I am in no doubt as to the task in front of me here but it's definitely something that I want to do. I've fiddled with parts in the past but nothing on this scale.

I'm asking the question, 1 to learn and 2 experience from you guys who have already completed a project like this.

I have plenty more research / reading 'how-to's', but I also have some parts to find which will give me time.

I'll keep you all updated and no doubt will be back with more questions.