When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can you damage Lume with bright light?

fraggle42

I'm not talking bright sunshine here but a high powered laser pointer.

400mW purple laser pointer.

I've got a few pointers, reg, green, blue and purple, ranging in power from 5mW upto 1.8W.

Just found out that the purple one is a Lume paint brush!

It instantly makes the Lume glow like hell, honestly it looks like you're painting Lume on with a brush.

I can defocus the beam so its about 5mm round (oval actually as its TEM 1) so it's not that focused it'll burn the lume, but I'm still worried that it'll damage it somehow.

Any lume experts know?

I'll take some pics this weekend of shiney happy watches, all in a row.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Curious question, I've also wondered if types of UV lighting could alter the color of some lume (essentially making them turn yellow as if they have been aged).  I remember back in the days when I used to be in the lab ... we would sterilize certain objects with UV lighting and typically items that have been exposed to UV lighting would start to turn brittle and turn yellow.

Now I'm wondering if this technique might be used to artificially age lume?

There's tales on the gen boards of people leaving a watch under a table lamp to charge the lume up and forgetting that the watch is there, and gone back to find the lume going/gone/damaged etc

Obviously depending on the length of time its exposed, the wattage of the light, and the proximity to the watch - but yes the lume can get toasted. 

Yes, it turns patina. Look up my Omega Seamaster restoration in my section and you can see how lume will look when it ages.

Thanks, why didn't you do a lume job on the seamaster? :) 

For the lazy people who doesn't want to search, here is the link: http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/159372-gen-omega-smp-restoration/

I have a 5 or 6 year old Citizen Eco-Drive with Luminova that I have charged many times by laying it out in the sun while doing yard work and the Luminova looks about the same as it did years ago. Sometimes I forget about it and it gets too hot to touch but it always keeps running.

The dial appears to be plastic and still looks fine too.

Flashback...

When I was a kid in the 1960s, I used to hang around a gas station/truck stop on a busy highway and I saw a lot of 'Florida Watches'. I called them 'Florida Watches' because most trucks did not have air conditioning back then and the truck drivers would drive for thousands of miles back and forth to Florida hauling watermelons etc with their left arm (and watch) on the window sill in the hot summer sun. Many of the dials were faded to brown and the plastic crystals turned yellow. They had one sun burned arm and one regular arm.

There was a sign on the highway back then that said:

"30 Killed in 30 Days in the Next 30 Miles"

"Speed Limit 65"

"Drive Carefully"

I remember a smartass guy from Ohio asking me if that was really true (while I scrubbed a thousand bugs off his windshield).

I said "Yes." (it really was true)

He said "Does that bother you boy?"

I said "No."

He said "Why not?"

I said "Because they were all from Ohio."

No such thing as PC back then.     :pimp: