When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Interesting movement

fraggle42

Anyone seen this movement before?

Posted Image

Automatic too.

I spotted it on the 'bay from an HK seller (shipping from Germany oddly enough). Cheap as chips, £25, so ordered one out of curiosity :)

Will pull it to bits when it get it and take some photos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

This and the Corum ones are interesting, but the other cheap one has an additional automatic winder on it, which is what caught my eye.

It's called a bridge movement. First saw these a few years ago. From wiki:

"Bridge movement

In modern watch movements, the back plate is replaced with a series of plates or bars, called bridges. This makes servicing the movement easier, since individual bridges and the wheels they support can be removed and installed without disturbing the rest of the movement. The first bridge movements, in Swiss pocketwatches from around 1900, had three parallel bar bridges to support the three wheels of the going train. This style is called a three finger or Geneva movement."

• Like 1

Received mine today. Movement quality on first glance seems OK, typical chinese movement.

They are definitely jewels on the rotor. Only small ones so they don't bother me, although jewels doesn't really equal the "Steam Punk" look the seller was promoting!

The crown only sets the hands, and only clockwise at that. No winding - has to be wound by the rotor. No discernable AR front or back. Strap is your typical very cheapo affair. Case reasonably well made, although the 12 screws that are around the bezel are not aligned up like the sample image the seller I bought from used. Screw down crown, and who knows how good the threads are!

Interestingly the bezel is quite a bit thinner than the pictures and screws are smaller. Makes it look more delicate, which as I bought it because I liked it's chunky bezel looks, is a bit of a let down.

So after getting it and having a look, I still like it, bargaintastic for a rather odd throwaway beater :)

Piccys coming later.

+1.  Well said.  EXACT same impression here.  Power reserve seems low on mine.  Small mainspring.

It is a Seiko 'style' auto-wind with no manual wind.  The project I was going to gut the movement will not work for me as planned. 

I put mine in my winder and it basically doesn't wind it (well, it does a little)

There is too much resistance somewhere and the weight isn't enough to pull itself around on the winder.

Even put in backwards so its just supposedly spinning freely, it still won't rotate fully.

Works when watch is vertical mind, just something rather unoiled or stiff.