When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken MBW 1665 - Palpatine, RepAustria, ...

watchfreund

Hi,

so I was able to buy this awesome and legendary DRSD 1665 in this forum which went through legendary hands like Palpatine and RepAustria. Even UBI contributed with his vintage date wheel.

Now this is a beauty already but there are some things I would like to change and I need your advice and/or opinion about it.

But first the specs at the moment:

- Old skool MBW case (rounded/buffed/vintagised)

- ETA 2836 (serviced end of 2012)

- PALPATINE drilled lugs to accept gen springbars

- PALPATINE modelized crown guards

- GEN crown and tube

- GEN springbars

- GEN bracelet clasp

- GEN bezel insert

- GEN tropic 39 superdome

- YUKI pearl

- MY(CWP) dial

- Colour matched hands

- UBIQUITOUS vintage datewheel, perfect alignment

- HeV "trompe l'oeil" mod (zero risk leak)

- REPAUSTRIA Stamp caseback gen-look

- MARYS bracelet

1. I do not like the feeling of the Marys 7836 bracelet. Though it already has the GEN claps. Many GEN owners upgrade their 1665 with the 93150 bracelet and ad the 580 end links. Thats what I want to do too. GEN bracelets will cost me around 800 Euro with the two 580 links. Is there any alternative route? What do you guys like Freddy or Ubi recommend?
  2. I need a used look insert with pearl. Searched for some time and did not find anything which satisfies me. I totally love that look here: http://i1.wp.com/luxurytyme.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/after1.jpg Any hints or ideas? Does it have to be GEN? PMWF and Clark have been rated very good here in the forum. I could buy a GEN tritium dot at the chrono shop?

Small thing: the hands do not do it for me. The dial dots have a white look and the hands a more yellow. Not a big problem. Some old 1665 look that way. What options do I have for the hands?

BTW: I can find lots of information und the MY CWP dial. How good is it?

Thanks!!!!!

Here are two pictures. Looking forward to your feedback.

IMG_9124_zps1766f871.jpg

IMG_9127_zps17128d3c.jpg

This is a beauty. I think I would be completely satisfied as is. 

You can find some good 93150s on VRF and also inserts. I would definitely get an aged insert or perhaps fade one myself.

Wear it well mate

I agree with all this! That's a nice one!

My hands do not match yet, nor are they particularly accurate. I need a gen bracelet also.

The differences in mine verses yours, mine has Ingod rail dial, working Hev, and I preferred the lower gen service T39.

I just need to find someone to relume my watch with a perfect cream color.

You have a very good Seadweller, I know how this watch does that, leads you to want each detail better and better. :)

Looks good so far. Assuming the insert is gen, I would do a bit more work on the case (soften edges, etc) & install a working He valve.

Yuki is supposed to have the hev's in stock, and cheaper than the one I got from Phong.

This is a beauty. I think I would be completely satisfied as is. 

You can find some good 93150s on VRF and also inserts. I would definitely get an aged insert or perhaps fade one myself.

Wear it well mate

I agree with all this! That's a nice one!

My hands do not match yet, nor are they particularly accurate. I need a gen bracelet also.

The differences in mine verses yours, mine has Ingod rail dial, working Hev, and I preferred the lower gen service T39.

I just need to find someone to relume my watch with a perfect cream color.

You have a very good Seadweller, I know how this watch does that, leads you to want each detail better and better. :)

All hail the RA-Dweller! :notworthy:

Gorgeous old school piece.

Yes, I know this piece. OP really champions top notch put togethers ... I loved her as is...but of course in this hobby, there's always something more one can do. Do her justice my friend!

Thank you. Yes, it is a legendary piece with lots of history. Proud to have it and want to improve it a bit now.

So how much should I spend on the GEN 93150 + 580 links. Is a rough 800 Euros a fair price if it is in a good condition? Or is it not necessary to go GEN?

Looks good so far. Assuming the insert is gen, I would do a bit more work on the case (soften edges, etc) & install a working He valve.

Yuki is supposed to have the hev's in stock, and cheaper than the one I got from Phong.

Freddy, thanks for joining in. ;) Of course Woof as well.

The HEV was the last I was thinking about. Is it a tell? Since it is also waterproof now with the HeV "trompe l'oeil" mod (zero risk leak).

Most important were for me the 93150 + a faded GEN insert with tritium pearl? No?

@all: what do you say about the dial? How good is it? I can find any information on the CWP (http://www.classicwatchparts.com/) dials?

The HEV was the last I was thinking about. Is it a tell? Since it is also waterproof now with the HeV "trompe l'oeil" mod (zero risk leak).

Without a pic, it is impossible to say how much of a tell your zero risk leak mod is. What I can tell you is that if your mod looks like a working gen valve, it is not a tell. Otherwise, it is. ;)

OK, so I did a lot of reading the last nights. Asked Freddy some more questions (Sorry - I know you are busy) and here is my rough plan. Looking forward to your feedback.

Before I start. Here is the old sales thread of the watch I have:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/149818-sold-my-precioussssfranken-mbw-1665-drsd/?hl=+1665

Step 1: found a GEN 93150 bracelet I am about to order. Now I am just searching for some GEN 585 endlinks. Found some on Ebay (http://www.ebay.de/itm/ROLEX-ENDLINKS-SEADWELLER-1665-REF-585-/261256847802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd41f21ba) and also dropped the http://www.chrono-shop.net/ an email. If anybody nows somebody who might sell let me know please.

Step 2: find a GEN bezel insert plus tritium pearl (not to yellow) I like. It should be a bit faded and used but not to much. I very much like Freddys or this one (http://luxurytyme.com/en/rolex-related-articles/restoration-of-a-rolex-double-red-sea-dweller-1665/). Again if someone knows someone who might sell let me know. Bezel inserts I assume at the moment:

http://www.chrono-shop.net/en/inserts-rolex-/1609-incredible-fat-front-rolex-submariner-faded-black-bezel-insert-5513-1680-5512-1665-tritium-pearl.html

(love the faded look. pearl looks good too. but it is broken at 12 and 30)

http://www.chrono-shop.net/en/inserts-rolex-/2620-vintage-rolex-submariner-vintage-faded-insert-5513-5512-fat-front-.html

(nice one. but no tritium pearl. that would be an additional 120 Euro)

http://www.chrono-shop.net/en/inserts-rolex-/905-rolex-submariner-insert-5513-5512-1680-tritium-.html

(I like the look!! just the pear is not tritium)

PS: these shall be the first two steps. I think the watch is already very good and has some nice modding history here. I will open it and make some better pictures to take a look at HeV, Freddy.

e2upuzu6.jpg Here is mine, MBW case, gen t-39, gen insert, gen pearl, 1575 mvmt, gen hands and DW, unknown maker dial on a Singer blank, gen 93150, gen 585 endlinks. Build and lume by Ziggy. One of my favorites of all my watches. I believe yours could profit from a vintage lume. Price you quoted seems a tad high for the trit pearl, I bought several a couple of years ago, paid 90 USD each, but I know the prices of all vintage Rolex parts are crazy!! How about a 2846 slow beat in place of the 2836?

I have had 2 MBWs both with faux HEVs. One was an obvious tell while the other, I couldn't tell. I guess it depends on your particular watch and your tolerance for such things.

Thanks, Daniel. I will make some better pictures. The Yuki will cost me rough 120 shipped. If its worth it I will do it. I mean that's what our hobby is about: modding/doing stuff.

What is your opinion about the inserts? Any idea or further good source? Observing VRF already.

Here is mine, MBW case, gen t-39, gen insert, gen pearl, 1575 mvmt, gen hands and DW, unknown maker dial on a Singer blank, gen 93150, gen 585 endlinks. Build and lume by The Zigmeister. One of my favorites of all my watches.I believe yours could profit from a vintage lume. Price you quoted seems a tad high for the trit pearl, I bought several a couple of years ago, paid 90 USD each, but I know the prices of all vintage Rolex parts are crazy!! How about a 2846 slow beat in place of the 2836?

There is no picture? Would love to see yours. Where did you buy your pearls?

Before I go slow beat I might consider a 1570/5/... Have not decided yet. If the DW would not be aligned I would already search for GEN movement and DW. But Ubis DW is so perfect. ;)

What did you pay for the 93150 and the 585? Where did you buy them?

There is no picture? Would love to see yours. Where did you buy your pearls?

Before I go slow beat I might consider a 1570/5/... Have not decided yet. If the DW would not be aligned I would already search for GEN movement and DW. But Ubis DW is so perfect. ;)

What did you pay for the 93150 and the 585? Where did you buy them?

Photo is attached now. Having a lot of trouble with my internet connection. Price you pay for living out in the country!!

AFA the prices, I posted a spreadsheet of my build, with all costs, I'll try to find it and post a link.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I got the 93150 as well as the 585 endlinks from sellers on the vintage Rolex Market. Pearls came from a guy on VRM as well, but I contacted him well after he posted some for sale. I believe he was picking them up at watch shows. Just be patient and watch the VRM, also I believe the ofrei pearls are from the same place that supplied Rolex, but not sure about this. Freddy could clarify that for you, I'm sure.

My MBW 1665 had the faux HEV. It was the one mod that I finally had to address.

IMHO it made a huge difference.

I love your piece!

It has an exceptional pedigree.

Thanks. Good to know and thanks for the nice words. Will post more details to my hused HeV.

I got the 93150 as well as the 585 endlinks from sellers on the vintage Rolex Market. Pearls came from a guy on VRM as well, but I contacted him well after he posted some for sale. I believe he was picking them up at watch shows. Just be patient and watch the VRM, also I believe the ofrei pearls are from the same place that supplied Rolex, but not sure about this. Freddy could clarify that for you, I'm sure.

Thanks for all the details and your message. Helped me a lot. Freddy, any idea where to get pearls cheap?

Here's mine with pics of Hev installation. I still need a professional vintage relume, and a gen bracelet.

Mine has the 2846 in it also. Constant little upgrade machine :)

c24bef49.jpg

b4b5fb20.jpg

0280d881.jpg

9f68db68.jpg

6e7a7196.jpg

Wow!! Looks really good. Nice build you got.

Guys what do you think about these 585 end links? Are they real Rolex end links? I still need two. My 93150 is just arriving.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ROLEX-ENDLINKS-SEADWELLER-1665-REF-585-/261256832528?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd41ee610

http://www.ebay.de/itm/ROLEX-ENDLINKS-SEADWELLER-1665-REF-585-/261256847802?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd41f21ba

THANKS!!

There's a couple if nos pearls on vrf right now for 80$

http://www.vintagerolexforum.com/

Also at Ofrei

http://www.ofrei.com/page_150.html

Thanks! Contacted them. Looking for some whiter ones - Not to yellow.

Any idea? Any expert?

You can custom tint your pearls too. I've done several writeups here about it, it's pretty easy.

Cut off a straight pin with cutters to give a sharp square nose, then use that as a drill to empty the goo out of your pearl.

Next mix up some appliance repair paint, it's lacquer based and slightly eggshell offwhite. If you want to tint it darker, try a bit of espresso or even a pinch of dirt from your garden.

When you're ready, dip your "drill" into the lacquer and let it drip into the pearl.

Finished result:

post-32-137663195723.jpg

post-32-137663196944.jpg

The Ofrei pearls are clear whiteish. I have bought them before.

You can custom tint your pearls too. I've done several writeups here about it, it's pretty easy.

Cut off a straight pin with cutters to give a sharp square nose, then use that as a drill to empty the goo out of your pearl.

Next mix up some appliance repair paint, it's lacquer based and slightly eggshell offwhite. If you want to tint it darker, try a bit of espresso or even a pinch of dirt from your garden.

When you're ready, dip your "drill" into the lacquer and let it drip into the pearl.

Thanks for the good advices.

I have done a lot of research regarding the insert and the pearl. I know a 100% what I want now. There are the new 1665 inserts. You can recognize them by the thinner numbers and especially line. Some of these get sold as old and faded but are only bleeched. I know it will be expensive but I want an old 1665 insert with the fat fond. Slightly faded and no big cuts or anything. Looking already at all places. Pressing thumbs.

In the meantime I bought a original 93150 bracelet. Many 1665 owners switch to that bracelet. I prefer it as well. I bought one with the datecode O4 (which is April 1990). It was just recently completely reworked by Michael Young and feels just perfect.

I also bought two original 585 end links.

Everything arrived so I could mount it today.

Really happy with the bracelet and the end links. Big upgrade in my opinion and gives the hole watch a new feeling while wearing - I was missing that at the beginning. Take a look at the pictures:

IMG_9301_zpse8852797.jpg

The new bracelet, end links and original spring bars.

IMG_9303_zps4ed14a8f.jpg

IMG_9306_zps11ed18a6.jpg

IMG_9307_zps532f9e21.jpg

IMG_9314_zps831c33ce.jpg

IMG_9318_zpsf054e48b.jpg

IMG_9321_zps1ba0fc26.jpg

A tip on finding a really good insert. Don't just look on vrf. Look on trf and wus too. Do searches on those forums and sometimes you get lucky.

I found this one, with it's dark aged pearl but new in it's packet on trf. I did a search for inserts, going three weeks back and found the one I wanted.

The seller had posted it and never bumped the topic, in fact he had forgotten he posted it when I contacted him. I bought it for 100$ shipped and had it three days later.

The deals and good parts are out there, you just have to be diligent and have patience. Another tip, if your going for faded...make sure the backside isn't. :)

5F23B662-8769-4E2C-9296-DDA9B4B94088-369

A2824F9E-B2DC-458E-B30B-EE47191287BE-654