When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Can/Should I do?

jtiis

I'm copy/pasting this from my post on RWI as I need your guys feedback on this...

Ordered a BP 116710 (ceramic) GMT II c from ToroB.
Got QC pics and approved. They were not as clear a pics as some have sent but I felt I could see what was there... and ... as this is a high mod project I wasn't so concerned about the look of the bezel and such. This watch will be getting:

1. new CHS movement (newly serviced)
2. Gen bezel assembly, gen crystal (but without AR unless I add it), gen crown, gen dial, BK DWO, hands relume, Noob clasp (or whole bracelet exchange if that's possible... is it?).

So, with all of that - I want the REST of the watch to be OK.

Expecting a request for photos I'll post the best rehaut photo I got on QC and the one I took (below). As I look at it now (in my photos) I don't see how they could be the same watch actually - it's SO different. But, as no serial number shows up in his photos I don't have any way to definitively say it's the case ... but it looks that way to me.

I'm sinking nearly 2K into the watch all done - so - ya know - some things should be pretty good. My HOPE was to have a piece that looks quite accurate because MOST of the visual portions would be gen. I know the rehaut engraving will never be crisp/deep enough but - errr.

In my emails I asked for him to watch for a few things - but the thing I knew (think) one CANNOT change is the location of the rehaut engraving - it's lined up or it's not. So, I asked for that to be check on.

Today I got the watch and on the whole it looks fine - esp., again, as most all will be stripped - but darn it - if the rehaut ISN'T lined up. From certain angles, they kind of look alright - and I guess those were the angles from which I saw things in the QCs - but in person - no.

So:

1) There is no "fix" for this right?
2) I'm nearing 50, so my MY eyes, unless I'm looking at the watch just right, with good outdoor light - I really can't see the alignment issues on the wrist - but - they are there - and it's just .025 mm off... so, does one make this a "must fix"?
3) Can one send a watch back after accepting QCs or - is she yours to keep?

Like I say, the watch looks just great stock - but this is the ONE thing I think I can't change...

so, what CAN/SHOULD I do?

Thanks.

post-12738-0-54749100-1376439350_thumb.j

post-12738-0-32394100-1376439369_thumb.j

Do you think they're the same watch? The QC to me looks pretty much right on ... my photo seems a good bit off point. To some people it no doubt WOULDN'T matter ... I wouldn't care BUT for my Frankening plans... but IF the watches are different, I don't care for that too much. Rehaut was of the the few things I had no plans to change (obviously!). Things like smoothness of winding, crystal height, SELS... are great... the SELs are REALLY great actually... but if I change bracelets that of course, won't matter/benefit.

an RWI member says, "

it looks to me like the dial is slightly off rather than the rehaut. if you rotated the dial 0.25mm clockwise it'd be spot on. i think you got the best anyone can expect as far as the engravings go. i would keep it. make sure when the new movement/dial is installed that it is lined up with the rehaut and you should be good to go."

if this is possible, then 'twould be nice. Happy with all else - esp. the SELs should I stay on this bracelet.

Anyone know if this could be the case? (no pun intended)

If the dial was offset then the cyclops would be off center as well, is this the case? If the cyclops is not centered then you should be able to notice that the dial just needs to be turned just a bit to align.

But.... if the cyclops is centered over the date window then I am going to lean towards the others and say to get another watch. I have built a few frankens/superfrankens and I personally would want the watch to be PERFECT.

My .2 cents.

To my eyes it does not look like the same watch (from the engraving).

In the QC pics it's bang on, in your pics it's not.

Also in your pic the 12 marker on the dial is aligned with the 12 marker on the bezel so I don't think the dial has moved.

C&R.