When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner

Devedander

No. The watch is pronounced like the seamen. At no Rolex dealer have I ever heard anyone say sub-marine-er.

Exactly. Submarine-er isn't a valid pronunciation.

Sub-MAH-rih-ner, like those underwater crews, is the only valid pronunciation, because it's the same word. Check it out here: Submariner.

Is it Sea-Dweller or Sead-Weller? That's how daft the question sounds. :D

Hey guys I was in the US Navy and I was a SUB-MARINE-ER and it's the MARINE that's emphasized as in the watch it's MARIN that's emphasized...........JKT.......they used to call us bubble heads and Surface Skimmers were sailors on regular ships, not boats which submarines are called.

Hey guys I was in the US Navy and I was a SUB-MARINE-ER and it's the MARINE that's emphasized as in the watch it's MARIN that's emphasized...........JKT.......they used to call us bubble heads and Surface Skimmers were sailors on regular ships, not boats which submarines are called.

If you want to be picky, in the US Navy, it used to be pronounced marEENer but they eventually, I believe, adopted the UK pronunciation of MA-riner. Rolex, being in Europe, would have taken the UK pronunciation.

Or so goes my understanding of it.

I nominate this for the single dumbest thread in the history of all threads about watches anywhere EVER.

Just liek I said on the very first response, there is no debate, there is no interpretation there is nothing open to discuss, there is only fact.

the watch is pronounced sub-MAR-iner the crew of a submarine in the U.S. are sub-MARINE-ers. Those two things are facts....

People who call crewmembers of a submarine sub-MAR-iners are simply incorect even though it seems more proper (at least in terms of the U.S., not sure how it is pronounced internationally.

Again, the watch is sub-MAR-iner

People who call crewmembers of a submarine sub-MAR-iners are simply incorect even though it seems more proper (at least in terms of the U.S., not sure how it is pronounced internationally.

They're not incorrect, they're merely from a different part of the world to you. :Jumpy:

I nominate this for the single dumbest thread in the history of all threads about watches anywhere EVER.

Come on TVT... don't hold back... tell us what you reall think :bleh:

Well I think it's fair to ask, consider these words:

Submarine

Marine

Marina

The closest word I can think of to the "correct" pronunciation is Marinara (sauce) which still isn't quite the same...

As for the European pronunciation... I live in the US so I would think I should use the US pronunciation... but then again Europeans invented the language... but then again again Rolex invented this particular watch...

So I guess the way Rolex ADs say it, has to be the correct way (wonder how many jokes were cracked at the new Rolex Salesman who offered to show a client a submareener).

You know what? Screw it all... I will just say "It's a sub" and be done with it! :3a:

So I guess the way Rolex ADs say it, has to be the correct way (wonder how many jokes were cracked at the new Rolex Salesman who offered to show a client a submareener).

You know what? Screw it all... I will just say "It's a sub" and be done with it! :3a:

Hehehe. The last time I was at a Rolex AD, I was wearing my 7753 196 and handed it to the sales droid as I was trying on a black and stainless sub. He looked at it and said "Nice. A Pan-er-ray". To which I said "Actually, it's a Pan-er-eye, and it kind of makes this sub-marine-er feel like a Timex, doesn't it!!". I winked, and he got it.

Anyhow, I think you should say "sub-mare-in-er" if for no other reason than to show off your sophistication and knowledge. :)

Anyhow, I think you should say "sub-mare-in-er" if for no other reason than to show off your sophistication and knowledge. :)

I wear fancy watches to show off my sophistication and knowledge B)

This is my choice for post of the month!

I've always wanted to know how to pronounce submariner, but was too chicken to ask.

You will note :animal_rooster: made it into my OP...

I figured someone wanted to know besides me :whistling: