When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Portuguese Chrono 3714 V3

van_damme1988

I got the v1 from timeshop back in Jan 2013 black dial 3714-47 and also white dial 3714-45 both watches failed in Feb 2013 basically a month after purchase!

I only wore the 2 watches in rotation occasionally following my purchases.

I immediately sent the white dial off to Domi, in Feb 2013, for the 3 jewel mod,service and AR treatment he also gave the case back a brushed finish resulting in the 3714-45 having a more refined look. 

Received the 3714-45 back in March from Domi and watch is working absolutely fine! The power reserve since the mod and service is around 48hours!

Watch is very accurate to + 2 secs/day so I 'm very please. 

Only issue here is watch seems to stop intermittently when on the wrist, this started back in June, so i've sent the watch back to have it looked into and repaired.

The long and short of it, is this 3714 movement is a ticking time-bomb  in my opinion. Given the £ amount i've spent on it i could have bought a STOWA Marine Chronograph, Longiness, Hamilton, etc. 

But none of these watches look as good as the portuguese on the wrist . The Rep gets plenty of attention from the ladies and looks good in a casual or smart setting.

So its a personal choice but be warned its an expensive watch gen or rep.  :bangin:

Edited by Iceman767

...But none of these watches look as good as the portuguese on the wrist ....  :bangin:

Excellent post Iceman!  I agree.  It simply comes down to this, "Are you willing to live with a potentially problematic movement in order to get that look?"

For me, that's a huge "YES" but each person is different.  You can make it more reliable as Iceman says, for a cost.  For me if I could get one with AR coating I would go for it.  The look is worth it.  Plan on changing the strap though as it is total crap IMO.  I'm going to contact Domi and see how much for the AR coating. So far mine is working fine but I haven't had it that long.

I wonder if these A 7750 movements came squeaky clean and then properly oiled how much longer they would last.  what I mean is, how much of the failures are due to fundamental part defects vs. "fit and finish"/quality control of the assembly?  If it is a fit and finish issue then servicing it properly would give long life, at least in theory.

Edited by VinnyJones
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was derping around the TD's to find out what is new, when suddenly..... IWC Portuguese Chrono V3 (3714-47) ! I missed the V2 though... To be honest, i saw a grey dial 3714 that tried to act like a V2 but was terrible. And now we have a V3:

http://timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=13863

The only updates I see is the new crown, whilst completely off (Probus Scafusia logo on the crown is really bad), brushed caseback (looks ok to me), and the new tachy ring, looks that shape seems to be ok, but white markers should have been longer and "touch" the dial. And when you look at the specs, i still do not understand what do they mean by "English flag". And gentleman, behold! It houses :inverted: CAREFULLY SELECTED 7750 MOVEMENT. QUALITY HAS IMPROVED THAN BEFORE. :inverted:

I have always been in love with 3714, but it looks like the sec@6 problem can be solved only by the three jewel mod currently offered by domi, but mike stated somewhere that he is working on his own solution as well, or by swaping rep movement for gen.

Overall nice rep, but V3 really? :fool: Gen dial with the new style 4 and cut off 6 is simply beatiful. And sourcing gen parts for franken is nowadays almost impossible and when you are lucky, movement 600-750 EUR, gen dial 150 EUR (old style, used)-350 EUR (new style, impossible to find), crown 100-150 EUR and you have to shorten chrono pushers, duble AR the crystal (stock single looks just too cheap) and the last gen tachy ring for sale has been seen like 3 years ago. And if you are lucky, you are somewhere at 1500 EUR with stock rep strap (gen strap add 180-350 EUR).

I love the 3714's style, and would buy it as a gen if i had funds, but as a rep or franken project, it ain't deal maker for me. At the franken price I will rather add 700 EUR and buy new Omega Aqua Terra Golf edition with Co-Axial movement and transparent caseback...(saw used for 2200 EUR and missed the sale.... AD's are selling these here in Slovakia for 3500-4050 EUR) :frusty:

So can you give me pls a link for what do you recommended in timeshop pls?

What is the deference between v1 and v3?

Edited by bdaniel2

I have always been in love with 3714, but it looks like the sec@6 problem can be solved only by the three jewel mod currently offered by domi, 

I'm sad to say I contacted Domi a few days ago: he isn't offering the mod for the sec@6 problem anymore! The reason is that although doing the mod some problems can happen and he cannot source the jewels anymore. :-(

So the problem with sec@6 still exists and is still a big problem! Possibly it can be fixed with graphite grease but possibly it is unfixable.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sad to say I contacted Domi a few days ago: he isn't offering the mod for the sec@6 problem anymore! The reason is that although doing the mod some problems can happen and he cannot source the jewels anymore. :-(

So the problem with sec@6 still exists and is still a big problem! Possibly it can be fixed with graphite grease but possibly it is unfixable.

Noooooo! That is some bad news!

That means I have to remove the 3714 of my wishlist, forever...

oh my....that is a beauty. Can I ask where you purchased it from? I asked a few dealers and they all said they couldn't get them at the moment.

Also, I heard the movement issue is fixed in V3, can you verify that?

I appreciate it!

It's not mine. The owner got it from Mary & Rochest @ Watch International.

Unfortunately I don't have their contact info, so if someone can chime in...

oh my....that is a beauty.  Can I ask where you purchased it from?  I asked a few dealers and they all said they couldn't get them at the moment. 

Also, I heard the movement issue is fixed in V3, can you verify that? 

I appreciate it!

I won't go as far as to say it is fixed. I partially stripped a new 'V3' movement and the transfer gear still seems sloppy.

Edited by rhc22

Hi,

I bought the V3 from Timeshopnet recently (Aug 2013). I've bought a number of watches from Mark previously and I must say he's one of the better dealers around (as we all know). I've been a big fan of the IWC portugese and obviously have been following the reviews of this watch very closely. Have been holding back on the purchase of the V1 and V2 knowing that the movement will be problematic @6sec. 

When I learned of the released of V3, supposedly with the movement improved on the reliability of the @6sec, I was delighted and couldn't wait any longer. Pulled the trigger, received my watch very promptly (after the usual QC pictures etc). The watch is a real beauty. I have photos but not sure how to attach it here.

Anyway, the story is, the movement is still very unstable. It stops intermittently during the first day of wearing, thereafter, it was almost impossible to wear the watch as it stops almost very other minute. You have to shake it a little here and there to make it move. I contacted them and they told me to send the watch back to them so that they can repair it. I did so and they returned the watch to me after several weeks. 

When I received the watch, to my horror, they actually made the watch worst. The watch could not move at all and when I pressed the chrono start/stop button, the normal seconds hand started moving, when I pressed the start/stop button again, the seconds hand stopped running. Basically, they swopped the chrono hands gear engagement with the normal running seconds hand gear. :g: 

When I reported this to them, they advised me to send the watch back to them again for repair. This time, I told them to show me a video of the watch with the seconds hand running and the chrono working simultaneously. They did so and I was happy to see the watch functioning properly now. They sent the watch back to me last week. To my dismay, after wearing it for one day, the watch stopped working properly again, stopping every other minute. 

This time, Mark told me he will send me a 7750 movement and ask me to find a local watch smith to replace the movement. I don't think I can find such a watch smith and even if I do find one, I don't think its that straight forward as in the movement can just be swopped out and it solves the issue of the unreliability of the movement @6sec. 

So now, I'm stuck with a $385 watch that I can't bear to part with but don't know what to do with it. Throughout, I must say that Mark and his team provided very good after sales service but I must warn fellow enthusiast here to really consider carefully before pulling the trigger on this one.

cheers,

eepeetree

eepeetree. sorry to hear of your disappointment, such a gorgeous watch. There was a member on another forum that went through 3 of these Portus, they all failed, he finally gave up.

A real shame about these watches, I guess the only option is a quartz.

Wow, kinda wish I saw these posts before I ordered.  I just got my QC pics and they look great.  Seems it wasn't just a fluke that yours didn't work especially after they "fixed" it twice.  This is my favorite watch of all time and I'm really hoping it's legit. 

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

• 1 month later...
Wow, kinda wish I saw these posts before I ordered. I just got my QC pics and they look great. Seems it wasn't just a fluke that yours didn't work especially after they "fixed" it twice. This is my favorite watch of all time and I'm really hoping it's legit.

I'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.

Did your IWC arrive safely? Would be nice to hear a little review :)

• 4 weeks later...

Love the ardoise dial, but like you all, the movement is the main concern. May I ask have many of you seen many Frankens or conceptas available for sale these days. Trying to hold out for one of those, but really have no idea how often they come up or how much they cost.

Does anybody have any examples?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk