When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The New 7750

insane

I know there are already a couple of posts on this topic, but I thought I'd open one myself to share with you my experiences with this particular movement.

Its been a couple of months now since I ordered my first watch with the new 7750 28 800 movement. It was the new Tag Liink Chrono (Aerton Senna). This was the black version which I sold to a friend.

A week or so later I bought two more Tag Link Chronos. One black and one blue. One for my boss ( :o ) and one for me.

Then a week or so after that I bought an Omega SMP Chrono and an IWC Portuguese, both with the new 7750 also.

And soon after, trouble arrived. First, my boss' Link broke. Just wouldn't work at all. Tried winding etc, but it just 'slipped'. Then the SMP broke. Same problem as the Link.

Now, my second Link has also broken. Well, the watch is still running, but the stopwatch won't reset.

And today the IWC also broke. Same problem as the two first. Just wont run at all.

So, the only watch with the new 7750 which is still working is the first Link I bought, which I sold to a friend of mine.

And, just to make these events even more perfect. The two watches which I have sent back to my dealer have disappeared in the mail, and they will only compensate $80 for the loss if they aren't found.

Now how great is that?

/Thor

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And soon after, trouble arrived. First, my boss' Link broke. Just wouldn't work at all. Tried winding etc, but it just 'slipped'. Then the SMP broke. Same problem as the Link.

Now, my second Link has also broken. Well, the watch is still running, but the stopwatch won't reset.

And today the IWC also broke. Same problem as the two first. Just wont run at all.

/Thor

I know there are already a couple of posts on this topic, but I thought I'd open one myself to share with you my experiences with this particular movement.

Its been a couple of months now since I ordered my first watch with the new 7750 28 800 movement. It was the new Tag Liink Chrono (Aerton Senna). This was the black version which I sold to a friend.

A week or so later I bought two more Tag Link Chronos. One black and one blue. One for my boss ( :o ) and one for me.

Then a week or so after that I bought an Omega SMP Chrono and an IWC Portuguese, both with the new 7750 also.

So, the only watch with the new 7750 which is still working is the first Link I bought, which I sold to a friend of mine.

And, just to make these events even more perfect. The two watches which I have sent back to my dealer have disappeared in the mail, and they will only compensate $80 for the loss if they aren't found.

Now how great is that?

/Thor

Sounds like an awful run of bad luck. I'm knocking on wood frantically as I type this but so far...so good.

Tag Link Chrono is about 4 months old and when I'm not wearing it, it's on a winder. The manual wind gearing is a little finicky. It's esy to wind when it's not well wound at all but a little feedback tension from the spring causes the gearing to slip a little in the manual wind mode. If I apply a little outward pressure on the crown when winding, it winds fine but since I got the winder, this is mostly a moot point. The watch was adjusted and runs a consistant 3-5 seconds slow/day which is close enough for me. I prefer a watch to run fast for ease of compensation but I didn't want to fool with regulation anymore once I got it this close. Chronos a little balky with the second hand resetting out of straight up and down 12:00 every so often but nothing to complain about

IWC GST Chrono Stainless. This is my best performing 7750. Again, it's on a winder but the manual wind is very smooth and feels like a genuine 7750. I adjusted it after several months of running and it is +3 sec/day, as accurate as my SMP Chrono COSC genuine. Chronos operate perfectly.

Breitling Bentley GT. Tried to sell this one a month or so ago but the buyer backed out. No matter, I still love it. Winds well in manual mode but has been finicky to adjust. Wants to run fast and as soon as I back it down to +15 sec/day and barely move the regulator, it drops through the floor to - 30 sec/day. It now runs about +15sec/day and I'm happy with that. Chronos work perfectly.

Omega broad arrow with old 19,000 bph 7750. Ran out of control on delivery at +2.5 minutes/day but I adjusted it down to about +20 sec/day. Not after 3 months, it's losing about 30 sec/day so more adjustment is in order. Winds ok in manual mode. Chronos work perfectly.

Now I do treat my watches like fine china and these pieces see about 1-2 days of wear per week maximum. Maybe if I wore them more I'd see more problems. They do run however constantly on a winder so the mechanical reliability of the movements seems to be good. I know from the testimony of others I have been very fortunate.

Edited by crystalcranium

The Asian 7750 always has been (and still is) a piece of junk.

I am dumb enough to STILL have purchased a couple even knowing that they are junk because I liked the watches but yea, they suck for sure.

People smarter than I would simply NEVER consider a watch with an Asian 7750, ANY version of it.

You cannot judge a movement because it has worked for a couple of months! For God's sake MONTHS is not the barometer of how well something functions... you need YEARS of service to make any purchase, even a fake watch, be worthwhile.

This is the down side of fakes that just kills me. It is easy to fool yourself into thinking that any particular fake watch is really good, it looks good tec., but when push comes to shove the quality is just not there, not by a mile.

Stick with simple ETA movements and you should have better luck.

I am dumb enough to STILL have purchased a couple even knowing that they are junk because I liked the watches but yea, they suck for sure.

People smarter than I would simply NEVER consider a watch with an Asian 7750, ANY version of it.

You cannot judge a movement because it has worked for a couple of months! For God's sake MONTHS is not the barometer of how well something functions... you need YEARS of service to make any purchase, even a fake watch, be worthwhile.

This is the down side of fakes that just kills me. It is easy to fool yourself into thinking that any particular fake watch is really good, it looks good tec., but when push comes to shove the quality is just not there, not by a mile.

How very true... and very well phrased dude... :thumbsupsmileyanim: The harsh realities of owning asian 7750s... :black_eye:

I disagree, not because of my personal experience with these movements but because of what Rob has disected in his break downs.

A watch that is a copy of a tried and true ETA movement might have some issues with assembly QC, cleanliness, jeweled bearings are well machined if not well oiled, pallet stones are genuine rubies, if just not adequetely glued to the pallet arm. This doesnt mean that the watch movement is junk. A well machined gear is a well machined gear, a jeweled bearing is a jeweled bearing etc and this design, dispite a poor execution in assembly, has proven itself to be very reliable. Rob has serviced MANYof these movements from the base plate up and has a positive opinion of them. Yes, they are dirty and under oiled or over oiled, yes the pallet stones are not adequetely glued but just about every 7750 (without accessory gearing) is a servicable movement.

Did you remember the instructions for setting and winding these 7750's. Don't change date between 10pm- 4am....let stop watch run minimum of 15 secs....don't push reset pusher while while stop watch running, always stop that function first. If you did and still had these problems, you relly didn't to well on the luck of the draw.........JKT

Yup, read Andies instructions on these.. I don't mind that watches break, but the fact that they disappear on the way to my dealer so that they can be fixed is really sad. Especially when insurance won't cover them.

In all fairness I think The Zigmeister gave the new 7750 (and for that matter the old 7750) decent or good ratings as long as they weren't modded...

...but were serviced (and it costs something like 150-200$).

That's the condition to have, most likely, a reliable and lasting movement.

Our replicas are finished up to the point they work and look good. If you want quality control, you need to get it serviced, as many here say.

Personally, I'm happy to spin the wheel on a few of my 7750s, but others get serviced.

Yup, read Andies instructions on these.. I don't mind that watches break, but the fact that they disappear on the way to my dealer so that they can be fixed is really sad. Especially when insurance won't cover them.

Did you ask the dealer ahead of time what his policy was on seized/lost in mail watches?

Did you ask the dealer ahead of time what his policy was on seized/lost in mail watches?

It is one of the most reputable dealers on the board, so but since the watches are lost on the way from me to him, I don't know how it works. Will send him a mail today.. Its a shame to loose over $500 + having two more faulty watches that I don't dare to send back because I am afraid that they will get lost again. So basically I have lost $1000.

Regards

...but were serviced (and it costs something like 150-200$).

That's the condition to have, most likely, a reliable and lasting movement.

According to Ziggy, there's nothing inherently damaging to letting these movements run in an unserviced condition until they show signs of needing service. I don't know how long my unserviced 7750s will run well, 1,2,5 years perhaps...who knows. What I do have confidence in is that when they do break down, they are almost always servicable and will run very well.

According to The Zigmeister, there's nothing inherently damaging to letting these movements run in an unserviced condition until they show signs of needing service. I don't know how long my unserviced 7750s will run well, 1,2,5 years perhaps...who knows. What I do have confidence in is that when they do break down, they are almost always servicable and will run very well.

I have your same approach and i'm not gonna service my 7750s until they show some signs but i'm not sure of the following statement:

there's nothing inherently damaging to letting these movements run in an unserviced condition until they show signs of needing service.

Are we sure it's not too late when some signs are evident?

I have your same approach and i'm not gonna service my 7750s until they show some signs but i'm not sure of the following statement:

Are we sure it's not too late when some signs are evident?

I specifically asked Rob this question and the answer was no. Now, this is not to suggest a simple cleaning and oiling will fix a poorly running 7750, but the damage one can do, even running a watch dry, is very limited. Someone in that thread likened a mechanical watch to an automobile, the running of which without lubrication would result in severe damage, but Rob set us straight about the role of lubrication and the loads in a watch being a completely different animal. I came away from the thread confident there was nothing permanantly damaging running a less than optimally serviced movement until breakdown.

i have two reps with new asian 7750...both work well...they are the pam187 and the breitling 4 bentley....my father has got a iwc portougese and this one runs good too..I don't use the chronos at all...maybe it is a mistake...but i don't care...i'll service them once they stop running well!

Yes, it is true that IF you service an Asian 7750 is can be OK, but lets break it down:

You spend $350 on a watch and then have to send it in to be serviced for another $200. You are now $550 into the watch not including shipping or any other work on it you may have done. If it is a PAM or many other watches you will also need to replace the strap. So suddenly you have a $700 fake watchwith a VERY questionable movement that you will have real problems getting serviced anywhere outside of this board and which replacement parts are nonexistent. I don't know, seems like that $700 could be MUCH better spent on either gens or more dependable fakes.

And lets not confuse the DESIGN with the actual movement. The Swiss 7750 is a GREAT movement, VERY well designed, and so the DESIGN of the copy Asian version is just fine. However the EXECUTION sucks... and that is the important part.

Over the years I have seen first and and heard second hand more issues with the Asian 7750s than all other movements combined, times 10. If someone complains about a watch problem but does not tell you WHICH watch it is I bet 9 times out of 10 it will be a 7750.

Yes, it is true that IF you service an Asian 7750 is can be OK, but lets break it down:

You spend $350 on a watch and then have to send it in to be serviced for another $200. You are now $550 into the watch not including shipping or any other work on it you may have done. If it is a PAM or many other watches you will also need to replace the strap. So suddenly you have a $700 fake watchwith a VERY questionable movement that you will have real problems getting serviced anywhere outside of this board and which replacement parts are nonexistent. I don't know, seems like that $700 could be MUCH better spent on either gens or more dependable fakes.

And lets not confuse the DESIGN with the actual movement. The Swiss 7750 is a GREAT movement, VERY well designed, and so the DESIGN of the copy Asian version is just fine. However the EXECUTION sucks... and that is the important part.

Over the years I have seen first and and heard second hand more issues with the Asian 7750s than all other movements combined, times 10. If someone complains about a watch problem but does not tell you WHICH watch it is I bet 9 times out of 10 it will be a 7750.

The design is fine and the execution sucks how?????

If you are talking about oil, assembly etc....I agree, nothing a $175 service can't fix.

If you are talking about machining tolerances that are meaningful, materials quality that is meaningful.....the guy who tears them apart and rebuilds them doesn't agree.

I'm talking about both.

MAINLY I am talking about the lack of quality assembly, poor oiling, dirt etc. But I also am not a fan of the poor quality fit and finish of the parts. Yes, they are good enough to work but there is nothing elegant about it's manufactur, it is just shall we say rough. To me the movement of the wath and it's fit and finish is probably the single MOST important part.

But I agree, a $175-$200 service should get the thing running OK for you, but as I outlined above I think it is not the best purchase to spend $500-$750 on a serviced fake watch... I would prefer to use that money on more dependable watches.

I'm with TVT here. I've had 3 Asian 7750 die within months. Sure, the can be serviced, but then I'm spending $600 for service on top of $600 for the watches. That $1200 buys me a very nice, albeit used, Omega Speedy, a SMP, a nice new Tag, an inexpensive Breitling. All of them work out of the box. And if they don't, someone backs them up, no questions asked for a couple of years.

Think of it this way...

You buy something that is brand new(car, guitar, bike are the three I'm familiar with. Pick something). In order to use said "new" thing reliably, you have to spend up to 2/3 of the original price of the thing on service. Think about it, a rep with an Asian 7750 costs about 300, to get it serviced another 150 to 200. You wouldn't spend that on your new car, new bike, new guitar...you name it. It seems foolish.

no one said the hobby is cheap

and i have always stateed that the list price for a rep is only the starting point!!! :)

I have a few 7750s 1 old, 2 new - no problems

hmmm 28800 hmmmm

There will always be a percentage in this game that just craps out - thats the nature of the business.

no QC

this is about have nice watches and lots of them for reasonable prices. -

i have seen plenty of issues with Gens- so don't fool yourself they are "perfect"

I'm talking about both.

MAINLY I am talking about the lack of quality assembly, poor oiling, dirt etc. But I also am not a fan of the poor quality fit and finish of the parts. Yes, they are good enough to work but there is nothing elegant about it's manufactur, it is just shall we say rough. To me the movement of the wath and it's fit and finish is probably the single MOST important part.

But I agree, a $175-$200 service should get the thing running OK for you, but as I outlined above I think it is not the best purchase to spend $500-$750 on a serviced fake watch... I would prefer to use that money on more dependable watches.

I don't see how elegance of manufacture affects performance. Ziggy readily admits fit and finish are lacking but how does this adversely affect performance?

All mechanical movements need serviced sooner or later and it should be done either when the watch is being made, or as soon as you get it. Either way, you pay for it. ETA or Asian, both should be serviced so the question of cost related to service makes no real sense. I have seen the reviews of the new 7750 and modified 7750 to run like a 7753 swiss movements and they are quite good. These are certainly one of the most complex of the rep movements and certainly one of the toughest to get right. This can easily be seen in the changes to the movement over the last year or two... and some of their bad reputation. If some one wants a watch built to the exacting standards, in all forms, of say a Rolex, then they should buy from Rolex. Parts for most rep movements are few and far between so for me, that is the real trade off when making the decision to buy a rep with a asian or swiss 7750(3). But with the price difference, I can have the asian 7750 that has been service, or a swiss 7753 that has not been serviced (and have money left over for lume or a strap, etc). I tend to choose a serviced movement. When I get the cheaper movements, I tend to go swiss because the cost is not that high to begin with.

Edited by rdorman

no one said the hobby is cheap

and i have always stateed that the list price for a rep is only the starting point!!! :)

I have a few 7750s 1 old, 2 new - no problems

hmmm 28800 hmmmm

There will always be a percentage in this game that just craps out - thats the nature of the business.

no QC

this is about have nice watches and lots of them for reasonable prices. -

i have seen plenty of issues with Gens- so don't fool yourself they are "perfect"

Absolutely. The QC with gens is of course higher, but the failures are expensive and somethime spectacular.

I have owned maybe 20 7750's over a three year period,.. and besides a slipped brake on

a 12 hour hand on one... all the other's have worked perfectly, and I have used the chronos..

Never had any of them serviced either....

According the The Zigmeister the Old 7750 is a workhorse of a movement, and the newer model even

better....

I personally think many of the horror reports are user caused... some people just are not

mechanically inclined or educated, or have terribly bad luck...

Like the person who gets into seven car accidents per year, or goes through three failed

transmissions or engines in an row...we can't explain them all but user error is a factor.... -_-