When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First vintage franken project - MBW Red 1680

explor_er

Well I've been bitten by the vintage bug big time!

Picked up this MBW red 1680 beauty last week from a fellow member(omgiv) and it already had a couple nice mods already completed a 

gen crystal - gen crown - gen tube.  

About to do my first mod with a gen insert that arrived yesterday along with a lightly aged MBW insert.

So here's my dilema I can't decide whether to age the gen insert or not and if I did I don't want to over do it - just a light aging.  Or leave it and let it age on it's own.  

Here's a pic with the aged rep insert installed and then with the gen insert placed on top.  

Next up will be dropping in a better dial.  Can't believe I waited so long to go vintage.

post-2127-0-68988000-1379555962_thumb.jp

post-2127-0-50840300-1379556006_thumb.jp

• Like 1

The problem with the MBW red sub dial is that the red 'Submariner' print is too tall/large, as is the 660ft=200m. And the dial is 26.2mm so fitting a gen or a good aftermarket dial like an Ingod in there, which is 26.5mm, requires some work. Either trim the new dial down or enlarge the dial seat in the case, maybe with a dremel tool.

But the MBW 1680s are nice, back in 2006 they were the best thing going, and even now they're still good- make a great beater. Wear it, age it naturally and enjoy!

Don't age a gen insert that's new ever ever! Just fade a cheapy in case it doesn't come out right you didn't ruin a part that you worked so hard to get. I love the faded look so ill just buy a pack of 3-5 inserts and age them all differently so you can see which looks best for you. Trust me I know how the vintage bug is. It lives inside me and is dormant ATM but I know it's gonna unleash one day! Beautiful watch and please share with us how your fading turned out and how you got it to be.

I have a 1680 with a gen dial, and the route mymanmatt took was to enlarge the dial seat. This works very well, however you still have a slight problem, as the minute markers extend out almost to the edge of the dial, so when you put the dial in place, it fits, but the dial opening is still too small, which makes the Rehaut cover part of the minute markers. This would be unnoticeable by about 99.9% of the folks that see the watch, but the other .1% would notice it. We have a fair number of Rolex guys here, that fall into that .1%, so they would notice it. Certainly much more evident with dial on photos enlarged 10x like we have here!!!

Here is mine, can you tell the tell?

Posted Image

Here is mine, can you tell the tell?

When you point it out and enlarge the photo you can see it but on the wrist 99.9% won't see it or know the difference.

I guess there is negatives and positives to both options - trim the dial or enlarge the dial seat. I'm leaning toward trimming the dial but still undecided.

Great looking 1680 btw I really like the all white dial.

Edited by explor_er