When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

First PVD project completed... finally a 5218-203/A I'm happy with

projectologist

Started this one late last year, beginning with the reshaping of a Noob 111j case set. Softened shoulders, strap notches removed, DSN newborn PreV crown/tube, a modded LH cg and FGD dial/hands.

Case set and cg re-polished then aluminum oxide blasted before going off to the coater. The PVD finish they applied was exactly what I was hoping for (no way to get a DLC coating to look like this no matter how you sand or CapeCod it).

Still undecided if I want to start aging it now or let it happen naturally.

Some informal pics to show how the shades of gray vary depending what light I was standing in...

pvd22.jpg

pvd23.jpg

pvd25.jpg

pvd24.jpg

I didn't blast the threads so the case back would thread on easily and seal better... threads are covered with lint in this pic

pvd26.jpg

Edited by projectologist
  • Like 1

Gorgeous! Love the tone and finish of the PVD! Another stunning piece!

:wub:

Thanks!  The pics in my OP were taken each time just after rubbing a little gun oil into the coating, but after a couple of minutes the finish would get dull and chalky looking again.

So I decided to try w0lf's suggestion using sunscreen to get the patina and subtle sheen going, and it's working nicely.  It's beginning to lose the chalky fresh PVD look that was bugging me... and it's lasted all day.

pvd33.jpg

That is an amazing watch! What strap is on it? Thanks.

Thanks!  The strap is a 2nd gen Dirk I re-stitched to look like a 1st gen.

What a great outcome you have achieve sir.

Amazing pvd finish! I hope you can share me the source and the price for the service

Thanks!  I used a local coater that does a lot of work for both the medical and firearms industries.

Edited by projectologist