When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

6538 big crown finished!

aeromatic

post-27094-0-70527800-1381748154_thumb.j

post-27094-0-72610300-1381748268_thumb.j

post-27094-0-80665400-1381748364_thumb.j

post-27094-0-44804200-1381748511_thumb.j

Due to the having a modern heart i decided not to aged this build like the others but let is age naturally ! 

I wanted to fit this 1960s 2472 eta slow beat but the stem/tube would not line up it was closer than a 2846 , as i believe the case is an early yuki marked brevet with the swiss cross

i ordered a yuki ETA  adaptor even 2836=2 would not fit ,so i ordered a 2892-A2 ETA   (yes i know fast beat ) from a raymond weil watch used from ebay and the slimmer movement fitted well and looks at home in the case !

2472 ETA

post-27094-0-58493200-1381748748_thumb.j

the 2892-A2 movement was fully serviced by my good friend andreas (RWG member GEORGELOIZ)  thanks my friend and sorry you had to go though the entire eta movement collection (Well almost all)  now that i am wearing this watch i like the idea of this fast beat 2892 movement, and adds a bit of high end feel to the watch 

i was not happy with my first 6538 build because of the dial markers just looked too small and you could hardly see the marker guilt ring, this dial is yukis updated maxi look with the guilt ring .

only just started wearing this and already started another big crown build a tudor rose (here we go again) this time a budget build using a 49usd tiger case andreas milled out the case to take a 29mm dial as i will use the henearou tudor rose dial ,the tiger is made for a 28mm dial ,an athyia big crown , and drilled out 2mm lug holes and a bit of beveling and case softerning just waiting for the dial , i hope that this will take the 2472 eta movement ! we shall see !!! 

tiger case purchased with defective bezel (bezel locks when the crown is screwed up tight ! this will be fixed.

post-27094-0-27900300-1381750523_thumb.j

post-27094-0-30927000-1381750708_thumb.j

hopefully if the 2472 fits it will have this tudor rotor fitted for the iceing !!!

post-27094-0-43758100-1381750746_thumb.j

Edited by aeromatic

Gorgeous! Too bad the 2472 wouldn't work, I love those movements and have three of them I have to get serviced in the near future.

Ha ! yes i love them too this one just got a full service and i purchased another three from ebay one of them is a 2451 from the 50s , as a lot for 28 usd the tudor rotor  from ebay too for 33usd shipped which i think is a steel ! im hoping to replace my 5513 2846 with one of these eta as it will suit my mid 1960s style build these movemenst do not look out of place in a rolex 5513 in silver colour, i think they are the next best thing to a gen rollie movement , ! Many thanks for the kind words !!!!

i think they are the next best thing to a gen rollie movement.

Well said.  The old butterfly 1030 movements are beautiful, but I hate to risk breaking them anymore with rough use.  An ETA is tough as nails and you can buy them for a song.  It's a win/win. :tu:

• Like 1

Nice, but what did you do with your original vintage 6538 project with the gen movement?

post-27094-0-15268900-1381762661_thumb.j Its still around but not a everyday watch ! could use another crown n tube !

I ordered a none graduation insert from wholesaleoutlets but they sent an oversized insert that only fits on a helenarou or cartel case i need one that is standard size( 5513) raffles is also oversized and it will not fit on a tiger case so the tiger-raffles,cartel is a different maker ! the tiger is 28mm dial only the others are 29mm 

Well said.  The old butterfly 1030 movements are beautiful, but I hate to risk breaking them anymore with rough use.  An ETA is tough as nails and you can buy them for a song.  It's a win/win. :tu:

Yes Yes ! exactly !!! i wonder what if the 2472s rotor was slotted like a rollie ? mmmmm and anyway these type of etas were used in tudors so its in the family !!!

Edited by aeromatic

Looking lovely! I too am working in a big crown tudor.

Which case is showing in this thread without the added parts? Is that the Tiger case?

How are you ? ! yes its the tiger case i have beveled the edges athayia brevet crown the cases are sold as defects because the crown when fully screwed locks the bezel i had this on raffles cases too but can be fixed when replacing the athaya tube n crown after the bevel work i do like the case and the tiger bezel thickness is closer to yukis unlike the cartel that are too thin ,although the coin edge is still flat looking but a little ageing can help !

the problem with the tiger is the 28mm dial size its hard to find a dial that size the opening is 27mm i am not sure that a helenarou dial will be ok with regards to the chapter line may be partly covered by the rehaunt we have fitted smaller diameter dials before by using a thin stainless steel ring to take up the gap my tudor flake sub was 26mm diam case opening and with the ring we was able to fit a 26mm dial !

Wow, that looks great! I love it on the NATO. People around here do great work vintagizing, but I'm also a fan of the modern look. After all, that's what Sean Connery saw when he looked at his wrist :)

I love both aged and new and want to have one version of each model !

here it is with my overdone ageing which included stricking the side of the case to produce an pitted effect!!! the black insert was heated up held over a gas stove which resulted in this authentic tropical look !

post-27094-0-72551800-1381772472_thumb.j

post-27094-0-51811300-1381772803_thumb.j

post-27094-0-96996100-1381772876_thumb.j

post-27094-0-99498600-1381772901_thumb.j

this look was made by hitting the case with an engineer posidrive screwdriver 

it took a while to cover the hole case !!

Next time i will throw it in the fire and save time !!!!!

Edited by aeromatic

yes its the tiger case

although the coin edge is still flat looking 

Is the 'Tiger' case a gen style mount of the crystal and bezel retainer? Mine from a couple of years ago was the 'cartel' style with a groove for the crystal that had to be glued in. Is that a new design? 

I took the coin edge bezel and mounted on one of those rubber sanding drums for a drill. Spun it a few times to get it seated straight, and using my drill press, used emery cloth mounted on a popsicle stick and slightly beveled the edges, top and bottom. You can sorta see it in the pic. The GMT is more beveled than the Submariner. 

post-16926-0-19008400-1381776117_thumb.j

• Like 1

I didn't realize the tiger case had gen style bezel/crystal construction. I may have to get one of these.

The HR dial is 29mm but there's plenty of room for shaving. I shaved 1.2mm off mine to get it to fit on my modified case. I still have to shave the rehaut a bit because the HR seconds hand is a tad long.

• Like 1

Is the 'Tiger' case a gen style mount of the crystal and bezel retainer? Mine from a couple of years ago was the 'cartel' style with a groove for the crystal that had to be glued in. Is that a new design? 

I took the coin edge bezel and mounted on one of those rubber sanding drums for a drill. Spun it a few times to get it seated straight, and using my drill press, used emery cloth mounted on a popsicle stick and slightly beveled the edges, top and bottom. You can sorta see it in the pic. The GMT is more beveled than the Submariner. 

attachicon.gifMy Bond dial.JPG

Im not sure if it is gen like but i heard that this tiger case is a v2 so some improvements have been done ,problem with these cases is the lug holes apart from being too small are always placed to close to the lug edges but a little bevel work can hide it when done carefully as with my cartel tropic tudor build !

Thats a great idea looks like a well thought out solution !!!!

Edited by aeromatic

I didn't realize the tiger case had gen style bezel/crystal construction. I may have to get one of these.

The HR dial is 29mm but there's plenty of room for shaving. I shaved 1.2mm off mine to get it to fit on my modified case. I still have to shave the rehaut a bit because the HR seconds hand is a tad long.

The shaving on my tiger was done to the rehaunt but there is not much metal to play with so care must be taken !

Im not sure if it is gen like but i heard that this tiger case is a v2 so some improvements have been done ,problem with these cases is the lug holes apart from being too small are always placed to close to the lug edges but a little bevel work can hide it when done carefully as with my cartel tropic tudor build !

Thats a great idea looks like awell thoght out solution !!!!

Let me ask, what Rolex crystal did you use? Did it fit tight to the lip on the case pictured? Did you press the retainer to seal the crystal? Did the bezel snap on the retainer using the wire spring? 

Mine pictured is the V1, and does none of that. If they've made it right, we have a whole new route for coin edge vintage Rolex. 

retainer, bezel with wire spring

post-16926-0-61605000-1381788751_thumb.j

Let me ask, what Rolex crystal did you use? Did it fit tight to the lip on the case pictured? Did you press the retainer to seal the crystal? Did the bezel snap on the retainer using the wire spring? 

Mine pictured is the V1, and does none of that. If they've made it right, we have a whole new route for coin edge vintage Rolex. 

retainer, bezel with wire spring

attachicon.gifRolex6542Bezel2.jpg

Just want to clarify that my 6538 first photos is a yuki case , the tiger is the case that is unbuilt , that will be a tudor rose , the crystal was held inplace with the same plastic retainer ring

as the older version and is none re-usable the tiger crystal is a dome and is very thick and does not sit as high as the cartel 6538 reps i will use this crystal , the case is at the shop so i will check tomorow as my friend took the case apart but i do remember the plastic crystal retainer ring my friend usualy makes a mod to refit the bezel i myself dont mind none gen type mods( hidden ones) that inprove the watch and makes them more secure .!

Edited by aeromatic
  • Like 1

Thanks, In the meantime I contacted Ken at Rafflestime to pursue it. The problem with the V1, the one I made the pictured 6538 from, is that the 6542 insert being flat bottom - not coned underneath - would not fit correctly. If it is the gen style it might fit. 

This yuki case i ordered a wholesaleoutlets insert non 15min but its the oversized cartel size i can not find a regular gen size to fit prefer the cleaner looks of the bond insert on a 6538 even though its not correct for the 6538 i sent them a message and they replied saying that they will check the sizes and get back to me but nothing, i accepted the insert as it fits my blackbay fantasy helenarou case and my rafflestime ! my tiger insert was thick and coned with a lip !

Edited by aeromatic

I haven't run into any outside diameter variance in size at all. My inserts are 37.5mm and fit all the bezels I've tried. I use spare bezels from various reps to hold the insert when final shaping  and polishing it. 

Henenarou new red triangle insert is 37.6 x 30.1 so may need a slight shave its made for the henen bond case my yuki case insert should be same size as the gen 5513 36.7mm x 30.3mm if im not mistaken i want to replace my yuki insert and fit it on my 5513 build and find a none 15min insert for my latest 6538 build , yuki does not stock  these inserts 

Just Ordered a sterile 2892-2 rotor brand new from australia to replace my 2892-a2 raymond wiel stamped rotor 24 euros i think is cheap for a new rotor ! the movement is gold coloured and with my silver rotor should look cool in two-tone !