When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Confirmed SCAMMER LIST across all boards?

jtiis

There's just to many folk coming pulling stunts these days. Seems like the 3 main boards should come up with a good form of Admin Communication and agreed to STICKY (across all sites)  that lists the name/s of these folk so they can be avoided. It could be they contact others by off-forum (private) emails from prior forums dealings offering "X" piece for sale... "In case you're interested". Unless a user name is listed pubically, someone might enter into a side deal that will costs them big time. Don't want to do that ... don't want anyone else to either...

I can register with any old username and any real name, so a list based on those will only be of very little use.

Same for emails really, yahoo.com, gmail, etc, we can create hundreds of email accounts easily.

Emails linked to PayPal accounts, I don't know how easy it is to change the registered email on your PP account? If it's not allowed, then those email addresses would be good to use.

If it's easy to change them, they wouldn't be much use either.

Addresses registered with PayPal would be useful, but wouldn't you get into problems with data protection and publishing people personal details? I know no one here would care if we listed scammers addresses, but outside bodies could be concerned and get the forum into trouble :(

I feel known scammers should be outed, and their full name, and address/es listed.

+1. Plus their pet names, places they frequent, work places and personal habits. 

Makes it easy for assassins to be hired and put to work.

Nope not going to work , different boards different rules ,admins and personal info posted leaves board open to suit. Who the hell gonna run the list anyway?

And no Ninja squads please................ :partytime:

This being said I do keep in touch with Admins RWGbiz, RWI , RG it is my reason for being a member everywhere, we share info.(VIP RWI courtesy of Admins to do my work) I also do cross checks for guys here and there recently guy (RWGbz) buying from guy here who is fairly new, he contacts me I see my good friend Aston Jenkins had some dealing. Andy said the guy OK been working with him to help him in new hobby (not feedback guys I PM, dig deeper), thumbs up given.  It is a taunting task and it would take three or four guys with a lot of time to cover it all but I do try . :pimp:

Pete I have heard similar stories about a certain very prolific poster..................................... :partytime:

Its all true mate....I kept myself in a dark room for 24hrs without food or water.... I then confessed all to myself....  :)

I know Admins on different boards have different philosophies etc - but don't guess any of them would want a CONFIRMED scammer to run their boards. So, was thinking some degree of coordination might be helpful.

Also, emails and user names are easy enough to create but for some reason I thought on the individual sites identification of scammers was done from IP address.

I don't know, due diligence is of course the responsibility of each, but I just wish there were more that could be done to address this... frustration I guess... hate to lose money, hate to see other good folk do the same.

Now guys look at payhomage's post about RWI ban  I am not commenting on right/ wrong actions of mods or guilt or innocence but does he go on our list. Slippery slope these lists are................... be careful what you wish for you might get it.

That is a very good point mate...one POV is a different POV to someone else... such a list can be a double edged sword

Personally my first post here was tongue in cheek.... ie "Put my name down"...

I genuinely believe we already have what we need here already.... we just need to use it in a more effective way or ensure that guys on here follow the great advice that is readily available here already..

So many seem to just jump in...which i cannot blame guys for but it is imperative that like any site guys need to learn their way round things..

Of course that is only one end of the issue.... and effects can be felt throughout the spectrum of members here

Personally I still believe most of the issues that we have seen of late could have been avoided or certainly minimised ... but I dont think a list would have stopped it... first off because of above as in how many would actually read it and worse still how many would actually know it existed..

Not now I mean but a few months down the line when things sort of quieten..if you know what i mean..and like Mike says then who decides who is and who isnt on the list and where is the line drawn...

Scamming comes in all forms from outright scam to maybe  a misdescription... one guys misdescription is another guys genuine mistake... one small non disclosure is one guys error and another guys way of seeking a partial refund or full refund because of change of mind etc etc

I dont think I am making sense but all I mean is the variables are huge in trying to put a list together and then deciding who goes on it...

Maybe the easiest way for us but not necessarily best for the crew is a zero tolerance approach ... but then you also have to balance that with trying to resolve an outstanding issue... you cut a guy off because of scamming or alleged scamming then likely is the guy will just walk away even if the whole thing started as a miss understanding etc

Personally I think we do enough here and enough is available in terms of info and advice already on this forum....

I think the issue in all honesty is us ... a lot of us are so trusting because we are here we let our guard down .... what we need to do is remind ourselves that because we are here doesnt mean there arent people here ready and willing to scam us in a big way or in a small way...

I know thats not the same for all the current issues but it is the same for most IMHO.... basically i think we need to reconsider our own ways of dealing and doing deals with people on here and once we are disciplined in that then we can consider further measures if needed...

I hope that makes sense its just my own opinion and I hope its taken in the spirit it is given...

Pete agreed on all counts much of what was in my mind you elaborated on, thank you. :notworthy:

Let me just pull this out to emphasize "i think we need to reconsider our own ways of dealing and doing deals with people on here and once we are disciplined"

Discipline is the key word, if one gets away so be it do your homework. :hammer:

jtiis , frustrated hell yea I am ! Trying to reclaim the biggest amount of watches missing (yes missing) in Rep history to my knowledge. You want this  :frusty:  jump inside my PM box my friend. :pimp:

I can register with any old username and any real name, so a list based on those will only be of very little use.Same for emails really, yahoo.com, gmail, etc, we can create hundreds of email accounts easily.Emails linked to PayPal accounts, I don't know how easy it is to change the registered email on your PP account? If it's not allowed, then those email addresses would be good to use.If it's easy to change them, they wouldn't be much use either.Addresses registered with PayPal would be useful, but wouldn't you get into problems with data protection and publishing people personal details? I know no one here would care if we listed scammers addresses, but outside bodies could be concerned and get the forum into trouble :(

I have to agreee with fraggle here. Naming and shaming is a great idea so other members are made aware, but it also alerts the scammer and he can simply re-register with a new name and email address.

My suggestion would be that since we have trusted dealers who have to earn that distinction, is there something for "trusted members"? Purchasing VIP membership is a given, but have other criteria, such as a minimum number of posts and time as a member, but also some feedback from the TDs (minimum number of transactions with TDs?). And since thee major boards seem to be related, have a good presence on all major boards as well. Just a couple suggestions anyway.

...but i really wish that someone would sell some Apple-related products here in the General Discussion section. Nothing suspicious with that, right? Lol !!!

DD

It does seem a bloody shame that we have guys coming in that lack the integrity and trust that the vast majority of members have, however I am frequently surprised by some of the purchases made and questions unanswered by experienced members from new members or members without any feedback for a period of time, this has happened to two great members only this week that I do not believe has been resolved with no less than 4 purchases.

Might it be worth considering that to become a member one is required to pay a deposit, a debenture of say $100, this could a) dissuade these monkeys from coming here to sell their wares or pretend wares and B) could be used as an Insurance policy should that happen.

I am sure like me, all of the trusting members who enjoy being part of the Forum and community would support such an initiative and I am a firm believer in naming and shaming to protect our fellow members.

Regards

AJ

The Insurance Industry is a big Industry Mike and I am just speaking aloud that if it ever happens to a friend or personally, any price to feel we have screened some of the bad guys out and let them go elsewhere might just stop one bad deal. The guys that might lose the 4 watches this week that I know of will cost them over $1000, that stinks, anything we can do to reduce that must be worthy of consideration?

AJ

Of course AJ, I just see to many pitfalls in regard.

An exchange on ideas on this matter is good. If I come off negative on this it maybe because I have dwelled on these options long before this thread and being objective cut apart my own similiar ideas in regard, options are limited.

One view point I can contribute as a fairly new member.

When I first found some rep sellers sites and started to google and found lots more, luckily one of the sites I found had videos of the owner "reviewing" other sites, saying they sell cheap rubbish or just don't send anything, and that convinced my suspicions that how could I know which was genuine and which was real?

Comparing product pictures, well, some are obviously crap watches, and so actual pictures of reps, but they're crap so you'd never buy them, you're looking for the best quality reps, but still there be something there to let you know they're genuine, catch 22!

Also I found some rep dealer review sites, and the first one looked genuine, and a lot mentioned the same dealer as a good dealer. Then I found another one (certainly not hard to find them!) and read that, and realised that the reviews were identical. Same content, different "review" site. And a third, and a fourth... Obviously copies, and obviously the dealer they recommended was a scammer.

When I first found this place my first thought was "Ah, interesting, a forum set up by a scammer!" Well, why not? Fake websites, fake review sites, fake forums is just another con, and I didn't believe this site was genuine for a couple of weeks.

If I'd been asked for $100 to be able to see and use the Trade forums I'd have been 100000% convinced it was a scam and just stuck with gens, figuring the whole rep market was totally scamming, there were no "decent" reps, they were all $35 trash.

So asking for $100 or any amount to use the trading forums, it'll probably drive the scammers away, but it'll totally drive away any "new to reps" people as well I think.

There's another potential problem, by adding in measures in an effort to make the trading forums safe, that may cause people to drop their defences, assuming the steps taken are 100% effective. Knowing that, I bet a scammer will happily pay $100 and then scam away with people assuming they are legit?

I suppose one way of stopping it is to have a forum representative in every country who acts as a clearing house. A bit over the top and it would add postage costs to every deal.

We need to set up an escrow system for member transactions. Members who really want to be protected against seller fraud would pay money to the escrow account instead of directly to the seller. The payment would only be sent to the seller once the watch has been received and in satisfactory condition.

For this privilege, the buyer would pay either, 1. A flat fee or 2. A percentage of the transaction cost.

This would also be a great way for RWGForum to make some money while helping to protect it's members.

It would definitely take a lot of planning and hammering out of details, but I think it's worth a thought.