When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Iwc Aquatimer Chronograph Cousteau Divers

PureTime

What's with all the hype? Isn't this watch, from a rep perspective, just a more colorful GST chrono? Except it won't have the steel band and yet cost a whole lot more? Don't get me wrong; I'll pick one up if the price is reasonable, but with all the attention this thing is getting, you'd think it was a perfect AP ROO or some other holy grail watch.

No, it's a more colourful Aquatimer Chrono. Big difference.

Like I said, from a rep perspective: same Asian 7750, same case style, same datewheel, rubber instead of steel band, etc. Sure, the bezel rotates, which is nifty and all, but I'm just saying lets have some perspective here. No question the gen Cousteau Aquatimer is a cooler watch than the gen GST chrono. However, you know the rep's going to have poor lume, a problematic Asian 7750, and problems with the datewheel. You know this because that's the same problems all the other IWC reps have. So add in the cost of re-luming, servicing the movement, putting in a new datewheel, just to get this rep up to par. All on top of what looks to be a very expensive rep. So again, why is everyone going bonkers over this watch?

Like I said, from a rep perspective: same Asian 7750, same case style, same datewheel, rubber instead of steel band, etc. Sure, the bezel rotates, which is nifty and all, but I'm just saying lets have some perspective here. No question the gen Cousteau Aquatimer is a cooler watch than the gen GST chrono. However, you know the rep's going to have poor lume, a problematic Asian 7750, and problems with the datewheel. You know this because that's the same problems all the other IWC reps have. So add in the cost of re-luming, servicing the movement, putting in a new datewheel, just to get this rep up to par. All on top of what looks to be a very expensive rep. So again, why is everyone going bonkers over this watch?

I think a lot of it (besides being a unique watch) stems from the fact that Angus brought the forum in close to the beginning, asked for comments, showed progress pictures and incorporated the comments. Fun to be a part of (no matter how slight) and the gen is a very unique piece. Be fun to show the rep off and talk some of its history.

All that said, you're right. We can expect the same issues with the movement (though I haven't experienced any yet with my 3 7750s) and probably a high price. But... I'm waiting patiently because I do want one.

Deen

So add in the cost of re-luming, servicing the movement, putting in a new datewheel, just to get this rep up to par

up to par? :blink:

have you seen any/many of the new reps out of the factory that's making these super reps lately (ie. HBB, chronomat evolution, steelfish superocean, probably EL's iwc 3717)? they are IMPRESSIVE right out of the box far beyond most other standard reps. i think the costeau divers will be no exception.

but to address your other thoughts/concerns:

re: lume, i'm the first one to hope for quality lume on this thing -- i think it is an important part of this rep. will it be super luminova? doubtful. but if the lume is the same quality as EL's 3717, i think i'll be satisfied.

re: servicing the movement, this is a "to each his own" type question. i haven't had any issues with any of my new asian 7750 movements (know on wood) out of the box. if/when i do have any issues, i'll have them serviced, or better yet, put in a genuine eta 7750 (ziggy put the myth that this isn't possible to bed in his post here).

re: new datewheel, the datewheels are very expensive from cousins (maybe $5), and not all of us are that nitpicky....

just my $0.02

deltatahoe

Just left an AD having handled a gen again for a good 10 minutes - I was within an inch of doing their interest free credit deal there and then.

I took the opportunity to have a really good look at it - it is (as you would expect) beautifully made - the deep gloss finishing on the dial (no concentric circles on the sub-dials) and exquisite detailing will be really hard to rep accurately. It is hard to describe - the details may be repped accurately, but the watch has a "feel" to it that will be hard to capture!

Hopefully we'll not have to wait too long to see - otherwise that 0% credit over 3 years could be hard to resist!

Hilts :play_ball:

Just left an AD having handled a gen again for a good 10 minutes - I was within an inch of doing their interest free credit deal there and then.

I took the opportunity to have a really good look at it - it is (as you would expect) beautifully made - the deep gloss finishing on the dial (no concentric circles on the sub-dials) and exquisite detailing will be really hard to rep accurately. It is hard to describe - the details may be repped accurately, but the watch has a "feel" to it that will be hard to capture!

Hopefully we'll not have to wait too long to see - otherwise that 0% credit over 3 years could be hard to resist!

well, i just purchased a gen while i was in HK.. not the Cousteau, but the Chronometer with yellow highlights, and rubber strap Got to tell you, this is an awesome watch.. looks better in person and on a wrist than the IWC site would indicate. I will try to post some pics later on this week but i really am not good at that stuff

Guest Sql_pl

They didn't release the rep yet and there is already a newer version of the gen!

Check this out!

242031-9530.jpg

Looks cooler with that orange bezel and white subdials!

Edited by Sql_pl

They didn't release the rep yet and there is already a newer version of the gen!

Check this out!

242098-9523.jpg

Looks cooler with that orange bezel and white subdials!

You're right - just released. Note that the new 2007 watch does not have a wooden insert on the back. I think if you were to buy a gen, the "old" one is the one to get.

post-5410-1178231253_thumb.jpg

post-5410-1178231269_thumb.jpg

interesting. for my dollars, i think i'd stick to the original version. the orange is just too extreme / in your face for me (i feel the same way about the orange PO)

deltatahoe

What he said. First version is just on the right side of the fine line dividing classy and tacky. This one oversteps IMO.