When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Iwc Aquatimer Chronograph Cousteau Divers

PureTime

Here's the thing:

I have actually defended the pricing of the Hublot Big Bang- at least the SS model. My rationale is that the watch is truly 'twice' as good as the average rep.

With this watch, I don't believe that the price/desirability are consistent. I don't think it's $200 better than a BCE ultimate.

Do I believe that it's truly an awesome rep? I don't doubt it. I am more than willing to wait six months for one of these. I appreciate the communication process Angus has forged with the creation of new reps.

It's unfortunate that their suppliers are making this difficult for them- as I've come to understand (?) that they're largely subject to the pricing set by the maker/factory.

Guest Sql_pl

I will propably buy one of these but not now.

It just doesn't have that WOW factor that some reps had in the past that used to make me buy them the very first minute they became available....

Will just wait a bit and see this time.

EDIT:

I also hope it is only because of lighting but orange accents on the hands look too yellowish instead of proper orange...

Rep

243110-9206.jpg

Gen

243110-9207.jpg

Edited by Sql_pl

I will propably buy one of these but not now.

It just doesn't have that WOW factor that some reps had in the past that used to make me buy them the very first minute they became available....

Will just wait a bit and see this time.

EDIT:

I also hope it is only because of lighting but orange accents on the hands look too yellowish instead of proper orange...

Rep

243116-9204.jpg

Gen

243116-9205.jpg

perfect clones got it for $388

but then u gotta add shipping

It's a great lookin' rep, but I could never wear a blue-colored watch.

After lots of consideration, It's gotta be black or nothing. I'll take a black Aquatimer over this model (despite the overall coolness factor of the Cousteau).

But, I do not want to detract from how amazing this new rep appears.

I look forward to some in-depth reviews of this puppy.

Cheers

perfect clones got it for $388

but then u gotta add shipping

After looking at your pictures, I can't believe how BAD a job they did on the fonts. They are way to bold, the color is off and the spacing is all wrong.

I could spot this as a rep in 10 seconds without a gen next to it.

Considering they want $400+ for this watch I'm going to make the assertion that the manufacturer is an idiot.

Just wait till you find out your new $400 toy's date don't line up. Yayyy

Don't forget to drop another $200 to get the movement serviced. Be sure to open this one up and take off the cheezy stickers on the rotor before they gum up the movement like they did on my latest PAM rep.

Yes, if you can't tell, I'm fed up with this watch.

You can get the latest BCE with swiss 7750 for $450, that's a good deal for a great rep.........................................

a lot of members have ACTIVELY PARTICIPATED IN THIS AND OTHER PROJECTS poinitng out all the flaws to make it correct as most possible...

YES, they did so that they could have a better rep...but also have helped dealers to have (let's say) a 1:1 rep (and have a better price on it)...and then the same dealers that USED this help of members (community) go and charge them (us) so much $$$ for this rep....this is unbelivable...

so dealers, go and charge elwhere this $$$ for those 1:1 reps...as this IWC, HBB and so on...without the help of this boards this reps would never reach this level...because some "hawks" with a lot of attention to details have contributed in this evolution that we are seeing in the past year(s) with some great reps...

Reading the 20+ pages from members pointing out all the improvements the sample pieces need to be corrected...I WONDER HOW MANY OF THEM WILL BE ABLE TO BUY THIS REP?

that's just my opinion but I could be wrong...

a lot of members have ACTIVELY PARTICIPATED IN THIS AND OTHER PROJECTS poinitng out all the flaws to make it correct as most possible...

YES, they did so that they could have a better rep...but also have helped dealers to have (let's say) a 1:1 rep (and have a better price on it)...and then the same dealers that USED this help of members (community) go and charge them (us) so much $$$ for this rep....this is unbelivable...

so dealers, go and charge elwhere this $$$ for those 1:1 reps...as this IWC, HBB and so on...without the help of this boards this reps would never reach this level...because some "hawks" with a lot of attention to details have contributed in this evolution that we are seeing in the past year(s) with some great reps...

Reading the 20+ pages from members pointing out all the improvements the sample pieces need to be corrected...I WONDER HOW MANY OF THEM WILL BE ABLE TO BUY THIS REP?

that's just my opinion but I could be wrong...

Yer i agree its a bit stiff .. i reckon if its $250-300 itll get alot more sales.

As opposed to none

After looking at your pictures, I can't believe how BAD a job they did on the fonts. They are way to bold, the color is off and the spacing is all wrong.

I could spot this as a rep in 10 seconds without a gen next to it.

You can't tell from just comparing two pics. Those pictures show watches from different angles and distances. I think the font is pretty close, actually.

(Still saying that this one is too expensive...)

While the price is high, the process to get to this point was a good one. Input from the forum was asked for and freely given. Unfortuantely, perfection is illusive and seems as much it happens by chance rather than by design. Still the effort was made and guidance achieved a reasonable success. We always want better - that is just our nature seeking perfection. The price, however just is too high as some have pointed out the latest BCE with swiss 7750 for $450. The dealers could quickly sell every one from this first batch if they just priced accordingly.

Usil

The gen is a beautiful watch and I was looking forward to the rep.... but the price is just not for me. Not because I can't afford to spend that kind of money but because in this price range, there's plenty of nice gen watches that come with a manual, a box, a two year guarantee and no customs risk. I think these super-rep prices are getting a little out of hand. Granted, within the rep world, these super-reps stand apart. They are visibly better than their lower priced relatives.

But even as rep collector, we should not forget that there is still a biiiiiig difference between a super-rep and it's gen counterpart in terms of manufacturing quality, technical design and QC. Just think about it... you're buying an IWC "Coustau" diver's watch.... I would rather trust my 100$ Citizen divers watch to stay dry during a dive or shower than this $$$ IWC rep.

Agree with lesson 1 in economics, less price more quantity... but I don't know you guys, this fora was plenty of compliments to Angus for the way to develop this watch, IMO was a great effort for all of us (the maker, Angus, we -the WIS-), agree that price is high but part of that price is the payback for the R&D done with us to achive a soooo close rep.

This rep worth the money? well, it's depends: for 400 bucks you could buy a nice gen of course, but you could buy too a lot of cokes, a couple of shirts, maybe 500 condoms... but for you couldn't buy a IWC Chrono Cousteau watch. That's the matter. We are talking about 120-150 usd of difference between the "normal" reps and this high-end rep (if a rep could be considered high-eng ;) ).

IMHO I'm ready to pay again 100 bucks to enjoy the next development of that kind of watches... specially if the makers could get this degree of finish in the watch (considering, just like Chubb says, that overall quality between gen and rep never could be the same)

Just my 0,02

We are talking about 120-150 usd of difference between the "normal" reps and this high-end rep (if a rep could be considered high-eng ;) ).

You're talking $300 between this and a cheap rep. $200 between this and a good rep. $100 between this and a high-end rep.

For this price, you've got a SuperRep and enough change for an ETA Sub.

Trusty, do the community a favour and send me one for review then. :D

I agree...

but after you do the review Pug...send it to me for inspection...to see if it is ready for diving, to check the water resistance...to check and disassemble to movement for closer inspection and so on... :bicycle:

So, who's parted with their hard-earned $$$ and ordered this thing? I haven't, and likely won't until there is a significant price adjustment, but it would be interesting to know how many people are willing to spend this much for a rep.

If I read correctly the pre-order implied that it was only one day in advance and so it may well be available right now.

I did go for the Asian. But mine will have markers straightened if necessary, relumed and movement and day/date wheels swapped before it hits the wrist. I may be disappointed but so far I have been fairly impressed on the IWC's. If it were perfect it would be $6,000. My objective is to make it as good as it can be and properly serviced for about 10-15% of that. :) That is always my approach on reps. I try and buy fewer that I think I would like to keep for a long time and get them to 95% if possible. I did make the mistake of trying the gen on about a month ago. :lol: It wears under a business suit really nicely. ;)

If it were perfect it would be $6,000. My objective is to make it as good as it can be and properly serviced for about 10-15% of that. :) That is always my approach on reps. I try and buy fewer that I think I would like to keep for a long time and get them to 95% if possible. I did make the mistake of trying the gen on about a month ago. :lol: It wears under a business suit really nicely. ;)

:thumbsupsmileyanim: