When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Comex Dial to fit 1520 movement ?

altesporsche

Good day fellas.  

Have a new 5514 on the way and i just picked up a 1520 Gen movement for it and im looking for a GEN like Comex dial to finish it off.. i have seen the yuki ones and im not so sure of what else is out there..  any hints ? oh and a set of hands as well.

thanks 

C

lol no no not the comex gen dial lol ... im not slapped : P if i was going to spend serious coin to build then id just buy a gen ( not spending $70k on a comex sub ) there is one for sale on chrono24 now for just shy of 80k , i wouldnt be messing with reps if i could toss that around for a watch.

I think they are implying that IF you could find one, the dial price alone would be so high that it isn't worth it.

You'd be better off going the pre-Comex 5513 dial (feet first) if you want to go gen dial. Those can be found and it won't cost your Porsche to buy one ... :)

Edited by tomhorn

Gathered that :p   but im going to have to go with a rep comex dial because the case back is comex and too nice not to do correctly..   

and there will be no selling cars for watches :) they get my love first..     

I think they are implying that IF you could find one, the dial price alone would be so high that it isn't worth it.

You'd be better off going the pre-Comex 5513 dial (feet first) if you want to go gen dial. Those can be found and it won't cost your Porsche to buy one ... :)

Gathered that :p   but im going to have to go with a rep comex dial because the case back is comex and too nice not to do correctly.. 

Text copy-pasted regarding 5514 casebacks:

"1. The early watches had Rolex COMEX across the caseback

2. The later watches had large numbers with Rolex Comex around the caseback

Finally to make it more confusing. The COMEX Serial numbers came in about three sizes, small, medium and large."

Lots of pics to describe variations, would vote for category 1) if you're doing a non logo dial build:

CoA5514CXcaseback.jpg

835-back.jpg

ant-111113-00362-2-f2-3-image-jpg_801382

_DSC0068.jpg

nwm13643334932916_2_t5.jpg

Hmm nice watches but the case back is like the one oglado posted second and freddys first pic.. thank you for the info on the non logo watches still having that style caseback. 

To make it a little more clear as to what im starting with its the HH prototype case comex sub that was up for sale a few days ago by a fellow canuck ( thanks ! ) .  So feel free to toss suggestions :) 

So far I have bought a nice T vintage insert ( nice faded bluish color ) , 1520 refreshed movement, gen 9315 bracelet and 2mm gen spring bars . the watch already has Gen crown tube and crystal. so now im down to the dial and hands .. as well as to decide if im going to age the case a little ( very subtle ).

thanks for all of the info so far fellas.. its led me to a lot of interesting reading into the older subs.   

Best comex dial for your project are whoopy's hands down, take a look at this post:

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/160148-whoopys-dial-project-preorder-list/page-4?hl=%20comex

You need to get it relumed and trimmed down a bit to fit HH or Phong's case, other than that there's no other dial around.

Whoopy's dials are great (I have one myself), but dial feet are set for ETA, not gen.

I still think the OP should go for a feet first 5513 dial if he wants to use a gen dial. It is also correct for the Comex case, and is somewhat more readily available. It's also affordable.

http://www.doubleredseadweller.com/comex_5514.htm

Edited by tomhorn

Not sure about that dial. As nice as it may be anyone with any idea what they were looking at would know it's not gen. Look how the depth rating fonts bleed into the outer box of the comex logo. Gen dial has a few millimeters of clear space there. Gen dial also has open sixes which from the looks of this photo this dial does not.

Edited by lionsandtigers

Not sure about that dial. As nice as it may be anyone with any idea what they were looking at would know it's not gen. Look how the depth rating fonts bleed into the outer box of the comex logo. Gen dial has a few millimeters of clear space there.Gen dial also has open sixes which from the looks of this photo this dial does not.

You are correct. Not open 6's.

Posted Image

lots of great info fellas and I really appreciate the abundance of responses ! after reading and looking at comex subs for almost 2 days now, I think i have my mind set on the gen feet first 5513 dial. Its just the only way i think ill be pleased and justify how much ive spent on the project so far.  Now to find a dial that i like. Something thats going to fit how i want the watch to look lol  I am far too picky for this hobby..