When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Platinum Daytona sells for 217k

Tonyyammine

Are these rich people just trying to top each others stupidity? or is this watch that hard to get, since it just came out. Im just not getting these auctions lately.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watches/rolex-an-extremely-rare-and-impressive-platinum-5731717-details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5731717&sid=b47cd347-fcea-4546-af24-9d57d40f9beb

Lol $217k could buy one a nice tourbillon or minute repeater watch.

The measure of value and worth are very different, and subjective, especially when it comes to items like this.

Tony was reading Forbes today, pocket change to some.

Pocket change to you maybe Mike, its an entire Porsche to me! :D

Are these rich people just trying to top each others stupidity? or is this watch that hard to get, since it just came out. Im just not getting these auctions lately.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/watches/rolex-an-extremely-rare-and-impressive-platinum-5731717-details.aspx?from=salesummary&intObjectID=5731717&sid=b47cd347-fcea-4546-af24-9d57d40f9beb

Hard to get, so impatience mixed with wanting to impress god knows who = what happened today

Hmmmm... $217k could help (insert large number here) people in the Philippines rebuild their lives.

I'm no liberal do-gooder, but I shudder to think how some of these rich people's spare change they spend to impress people they don't even know could impact the lives of so many people. But then again, I'd also like to believe that someone who could/would spend $217k on a watch could/would also donate tens of thousands of dollars to worthy causes as well.

Am I being too optimistic to think that ?

DD

Lol $217k could buy one a nice tourbillon or minute repeater watch.

The measure of value and worth are very different, and subjective, especially when it comes to items like this.

Pocket change to you maybe Mike, its an entire Porsche to me! :D

A Porsche for you maybe Legend...it's a complete house for me! :D

Legend you know I drive a 2002 mini van, loose change my a**! LOL

As far as what good the money could do I am from the they made the money none of my biz school of thought, you want to make big bucks get an MBA in business and go for it. There has to be winners and losers that is how it works.

PS I would like to join Mr White crying in my Ferrari never the less!

WOW!!! The prices are crazy. Conspicuous consumption which probably never left, is back with a vengeance.

What is so incredible to me is the incredible popularity and stratospheric prices of Daytonas. Considering that in the late 60's and 70's Rolex could hardly give them away. I bought one in the late 70's and I believe I paid around 750.00 USD for a brand new one, too bad only hindsight is 20/20!!!

Legend you know I drive a 2002 mini van, loose change my a**! LOL

As far as what good the money could do I am from the they made the money none of my biz school of thought, you want to make big bucks get an MBA in business and go for it. There has to be winners and losers that is how it works.

PS I would like to join Mr White crying in my Ferrari never the less!

Mate, its never about what you drive, but what drives you in life.

There are plenty of losers I know with money in the pockets, but emptiness where the brain should be.

Who wouldnt like a ferrari if he/she could afford one? But I would rather be in a mini van with my family on a road trip for a drive vacation then be flaunting myself in a ferrari.

Ideally, I would like to be able do both of course, but if given only one choice, I know which I would pick. :D

P.S. You should consider changing you nick to "Man in a Van". :lol::partytime:  

Must be the liberal tree hugger / philanthropist heart in me, but if I had that kind of money, I would never even contemplate using it on a single piece of non-essential wealth flaunting hardware like that.  I know that the argument goes that it is his/her money and not mine, so I have no say in how it is spent, but I would be embarrassed to purchase something like that knowing that there are millions of people starving across the globe, killing each other just to survive.  Oh well, it's sadly also this thinking that will prevent me from ever accumulating the kind of wealth that would allow me the luxury to ever buy something like this.  Guess I just don't have the purist capitalist mindset to forget that lives are worth something, and that opinions of the wealthy should be just as important as the poorest of the poor.  That's just the way the dice roll, sadly.  Guess I will stick to my reps and cower in the corner here...    Rant over, lol