When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My new grail watch- an R serial 16610

alligoat

A couple of weeks ago I ran across a very nice 16610- the earliest model- an R serial. These came out in 1988 around the time the 16800 was ending- the last of the 16800s had an earlier R serial. Also, the 168000 was in production during that time with the new 904L case. But whereas the 168000 had the 3035 movement, same as the 16800, the 16610 had the new 3135 movement and the 904L steel case. This watch was priced fairly and in very nice condition.

RLX581312_zps2fb1710a.jpg

So I picked it up and have been very happy with it. This watch does have an aftermarket bezel insert- note the smaller pearl, but sooner or later I'll get around to putting a gen in there. I've even got a nice boxy 4 gen insert in my 16800 matte dial franken that I could use, but I'd rather try to find the earlier more triangular 4 insert that came on those subs from that period- Rolex used the same parts for the 16800/168000 and 16610 during the 1987-88 period- insert, bezel, dial, hands, crown and tube. So many parts on those three models of subs are interchangeable, it's amazing.

This watch has the original dial, hands, crystal, the tall crown and original tube. The one thing that surprised me was how the lugs are not tall- they're very similar to the 16800s that I own. Not at all like the Euromariner 16610 that I have.

RLX5813S21_zps34e713bf.jpg

RLX5813S1_zps8db63f0e.jpg

The bracelet is the 93150 with 501 B end pieces and is marked S 6 on the clasp. I don't know if it's a service replacement, but it is in mint condition.

But the whole watch is in mint condition with the exception of the aftermarket insert.

One nice thing is the original date wheel with the open 6s and 9s- these were on the early 16610s for a few years and then they switched to the current type of DW with the closed 6s and 9s.

Here's a wrist shot w/ todays date

e74c5be4-b066-4014-8374-fbc555034ac2_zps

The tritium is getting a nice patina on the dial and the hands are a shade lighter. There is a feint glow at 4 am when I go to the bathroom! By the way, SN is R698,xxx which is the earliest I've seen on a 16610. Hope you enjoy the pics.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Here's a quick pic with the R serial on the right and my Euromariner 16610 on the left- look at how much taller the lugs on the Euro are.

I don't know if the 16610T case is tall like the Euro or more like the lugholed R serial

photo_zpsb32bbcd9.jpg

The R serial 16610 looks almost the same as the 16800s that I own- only tell is the rehaut which is taller on the 16610.

• 3 years later...

So I know this is an old thread, but I will try anyways. I just bought a L23xxxx 16610, and it seems to have an open 6 date wheel. I thought that was reserved for older refs, so tried to search around. I have only found sparse information on 16610 refs with flat four and open 6 and 9. Is there any official material or ways to check that this is indeed original to my watch, or if it could be a service part? I would like the watch to be as original as possible (as delivered from rolex in '89), but it is also a very nice addition of the "more vintage" date wheel. I forgot to check if it had a flat top 3, and could this be a tell of originality, heard that some 16610 has the open 6/9 and flat four, but not the flat 3?

Any information on this is highly appreciated!

Thanks for the fast reply I am trying to learn as much as I can. What do you use as a source of information? Any particular books, web pages etc? Just if I should try to find some of these sources my self.

And if it has a flat top 3, then I will definitely know that it is a replacement part.

The information isn't in any books that I know of. This is just stuff I've picked up in 11 years of collecting. Books can't hurt, and reading on Vintage Rolex Forum is also a good idea. Looking at specific models on VRM or on ebay can also be helpful. I started out with the 1680 subs and then went on to the 16800 and finally the 16610. A good book is "Vintage Rolex Sport Models" by Skeet and Urul- you might check it out.

And if you find a flat top 3 DW on a 16610, you can be sure it's aftermarket- Rolex never made one and the DW on a 1575 movement won't fit on a 3135 movt. 

• Like 1

Good stuff, thanks for the info. There seems to be tons of available information on bezels, but date wheels seems to be a little overlooked in the "neo-vintage" watches. Great with some more stuff to search on and after in the recommended material! Hope this post can be of use for future references for others as well.