When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bob Frei Is Deranged

cls

If anyone is thinking of purchasing parts from Ofrei, here's my last two experiences:

First, I had a gen Rolex from 1940 using a 710 10.5 ligne movement. Parts for the movement became harder and harder to get and more and more expensive. So, I purchased a couple of 10.5 ligne movements from Frei. When they came, one was 10 and one was 11 ligne. I called them only to be told that although they are marked on the website as 10.5 ligne, they don't really know what size they are and have no way of measuring them. Ofrei doesn't have calipers? The refused to take them back.

Although this was disturbing and caused me to stop buying from them for several years, the next time was just bizarre...

I needed a replacement balance staff and a couple of other parts. I was directed to the Bestfit website who would have a compatible. On the website it says, in order to access the catalog, you need to register. No problem. There is a field to enter the parts house to fulfill any orders, I filled in Ofrei. The rest of the form just autofilled with whatever information came up (I don't want anyone who may sell a list with my phone number, so I just left my old phone number on the form) No big deal right?

The next day I get three e-mails from Bob Frei. He says he needs to update my address in their system and wants my cc #. I told him I would rather not have my cc# on file. He sends me three more e-mails the next day stating that I have to give him my credit card number if I want to register with Bestfit, and he would charge me $150 for access to the information. I told him that I would rather not register if they were going to charge me $150. The beginning of the end.

Bob then proceeds to say that my address is not up to date with him and that means I am giving out fake addresses. He also says that he cannot call me (he has my old phone number) and that I am lying to Bestfit about who I am, and he wants my information and credit card. I responded, please delete my customer number, I will deal with someone else.

So, he proceeded to send me mail about every hour ranting: I am sending fake phone numbers and addresses to Bestfit, he is going to inform them that I am lying to them, I need to pay him...etc.

I just bought from Jules Borel instead and they were very pleasant and professional while Bob Frei is a maniac. Shortly thereafter, Ofrei has changed their website to read on every page:

post-3611-1165159341_thumb.jpg

He is a little nuts. I agree. Before I cut down the winding stem on my 7753 to fit the Palp crown, I decided having a few spares around would be wise. So Bob tells me the 7750 and 7753 stems should be identical. I receive them, and visually they look *almost* the same. Well, his 7750 stems absolutely will NOT engage inside my 7753. They will push all the way in, and they will wind the movement in that position. But they will not stay in. Meanwhile, the 7753 that came with the watch pushes in and catches every time. Luckily I didn't cut the 7753 stem too short, so it was a non-issue.

Another time (years ago), and this takes the cake, I had sent his company an email asking about a part... I think it was specific Omega hands. The next morning I arrive at work with a maniacal voice mail from Bob waiting for me. He's going off about how he doesn't have time to answer emails for small parts inquiries. How, based on my corporate voice mail system, it doesn't sound like I'm working by the hour. How he needs to sell $X per hour every hour of every week if he is going to be able to take weekends off, etc. And how if I'm sending him emails he'll never have time to make his sales. That day there was a long rant posted to ofrei.com (which is still there today I believe) about only inquiring about parts via telephone.... I so wanted to call him back and explain that an email response would have been far more efficient and cost effective that a long winded, long distance phone call, but LOOOOL whatever, Bob.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing parts from Ofrei, here's my last two experiences:

First, [Nightmare]I had a gen Rolex from 1940 using a 710 10.5 ligne movement. Parts for the movement became harder and harder to get and more and more expensive. So, I purchased a couple of 10.5 ligne movements from Frei. When they came, one was 10 and one was 11 ligne. I called them only to be told that although they are marked on the website as 10.5 ligne, they don't really know what size they are and have no way of measuring them. Ofrei doesn't have calipers? The refused to take them back.

Although this was disturbing and caused me to stop buying from them for several years, the next time was just bizarre...

[Abusive nightmare]

The beginning of the end.

[Describes even more bizarre nonsense]

I just bought from Jules Borel instead and they were very pleasant and professional while Bob Frei is a maniac. Shortly thereafter, Ofrei has changed their website to read on every page:

Jules Borel it shall be and thatnks - glad to hear that the [censored] at Ofrei isn't ssomething special just for me.

Bill

I'm still waiting for a group of parts I ordered from Ofrei in April. At this point, I don't care. I can get them locally if I want. They said they would contact me when the order is ready to ship. I have contacted them on more than one occasion to tell them that partial shipping is fine. Still no contact and no parts.

Wow... interesting read... and that does sound really odd...

I think it's hilarious that he took time to dig through your telephone system to leave you a message about wasting time.

I am by no means a businses dynamo, but I would never do anything like this to any of my customers... and if i did I would expect to loose a lot of business over it.

I swear, the I am constantly amazed by the way some people can be and keep in business... I guess there must just be a lot of people out there who don't mind the abuse or something...

I found out that Bob was an IDIOT about a year ago...and immediatly stopped buying from him, reported my expreience on the old RWG and suggested that no one buy anything from him.

He's an idiot, if I lived in CA I would go over to his shop just to punch him in the face...

RG

Tell us how your really feel The Zigmeister! :D Thanks for the warnings everyone, I always assumed he was the end-all-be-all of watch part sources.

I found out that Bob was an IDIOT about a year ago...and immediatly stopped buying from him, reported my expreience on the old RWG and suggested that no one buy anything from him.

He's an idiot, if I lived in CA I would go over to his shop just to punch him in the face...

RG

LOL, I would probably do the same :thumbsupsmileyanim:

About 4 years ago after graduating from TZ parts 1 and 2 I placed an order with Bob for stems, crowns, tubes crystals...a whole bunch of stuff to upgrade some reps. 10 weeks and about 5 phone calls begging for my stuff is what it took. "Oh yeah...I see the order...maybe we'll get to it next week or so'" is how the conversations went. :black_eye::black_eye::black_eye:

Bob has got to be a total "bed-bug" in real life. A reality show of him would be such a train wreck it would probably be funny...kinda like that Flavor Flav

RG

I live in CA...

Ahh, keyboard warriors, love 'em :D

If he's that bad, why is it that many people on here seem to recommend him for so much stuff? Certainly anyone mentions any Omega upgrades and they get pointed to him and I've read a lot of posts suggesting using him.

Seems very strange if he's been bad like this for a long time.

RG

HOLY CRAP that was funny - thats how i feel everytime i end up in india when i call a customer service

and don't even begin to talk about tech support - anyone without "level 3" or a higher number in front of their name usually has an 8th grade education

Ahh, keyboard warriors, love 'em :D

If he's that bad, why is it that many people on here seem to recommend him for so much stuff? Certainly anyone mentions any Omega upgrades and they get pointed to him and I've read a lot of posts suggesting using him.

Seems very strange if he's been bad like this for a long time.

Not a lot of options, are there?

For most orders you don't need to deal with Bob, it seems that whenever someone does, they will never deal with him again. I think people have recommended Ofrei, I don't think anyone has recommended dealing with Bob. Try it out, send him an e-mail...