When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Oops moments, mistakes in watch modding/building

AKTime

Just thought this would be a fun thread to share our learning pains and mistakes. :bangin:

My first really good one was installing a gen jubilee with 555 end links on a new style explorer 1 rep. To make it even better I accidentally used the hole lug case spring bars that were mounted in the end links. Mangled a set of gen 555 end links trying to pull the bars out of the hole less lug case and cut the [censored] out of my hands on the sharp lugs in the process. Never again.

Was going to remove a cyclops from a sapphire crystal with an acetone soak one nite and accidentally place an acrylic crystal in the acetone bath instead. :nono:

Share your stories!!

Earlier in my watch repair adventures I had some trouble keeping some of the more "springy" parts in my tweezers. So much so I made this little tutorial for those that suffered from the same issue ;) Actually more for entertainment purposes...but still :)

http://www.rwgforum.net/topic/138289-how-to-find-lost-parts-back-from-the-bermuda-triangle/?hl=%2Bparts

• Like 1

Ive had a few problems dropping stuff on the floor now I've got a tip for you, Get an old white sheet and cut a good size square out of it then staple it to your workstation where you sit on the underside that way if you drop hands or small parts they will land on the clearly visable sheet and not the floor works for me anyway and don't cost nothing really.

Thats a great tip, thanks, I will certainly do this :)

+1 on Both tips! I've just started trying to work on my own watches. I'm finding that things like to Fly off the tweezers. It's amazing how far these thing go too.

I'm thinking a Black sheet under my work area might be a great idea. It should make finding the parts very easy. I'll have to try it on my next adventure into

one of my watches. I'm planing on a full day or two between the holidays to get some work done.

Thanks,
Dave...