When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Decent, quality, lightweight jacket?

fraggle42

Just before work broke up for Christmas I was informed I am to get a small promotion and a nice pay rise, which are both very nice.

So I'm looking for a good quality jacket for every day use.

Lightweight is essential, it's really for appearance as I drive to work and am outside for the few second walk from house to car, and car to work.

Something along these lines

http://www.johnlewis.com/ted-baker-zainab-herringbone-weave-coat/p735359

(this one is the wrong colour)

http://www.johnlewis.com/reiss-emperor-peacoat/p641176?colour=Heather

Or this (without the furry hood bit)

http://www.johnlewis.com/ted-baker-lolgren-virgin-wool-coat-dark-khaki-green/p793205?navAction=jump

Do any of our rep dealers do anything like that?

Any other suggestions?

It'll be going with smart casual shirts + jeans / trousers + hiking boots (got to wear hiking boots / other tall boots as I need to use a shoe insert to compensate for one leg being shorter than the other so can't wear any shoes or trainers)

Well aren't I the obstinate one, I would have suggested something truly useful  like the North Face Denali jacket.  :prop:   Yes people say it's sized too big... when you're the size of a moose, like me, you like it big.

I go through about one every year and they're the Bomb.  Windproof in the chest, 300-weight fleece means they're warm enough for subzero aerobic activity, and they refuse to tear.  They have pit zips and nice big napoleon pockets.  I burn holes in mine else they'd last a lot longer.

If you're not the size of a moose then look at the Arc'teryx Atom jacket.  It's even nicer but it's sized for girlie men.   :p 

• Like 1

Well I went for a wander around the city center shops today to have a look around.

The darker version of that Ted Baker jacket is nice, but just not the right colour for me sadly. I'll keep an eye out for them on EBay, you never know, someone might have received the wrong sized one one for Christmas and as they're sold out now they can't exchange it so may just sell it.

I did spot something that I really like, Barbour Challenger

http://www.johnlewis.com/barbour-challenger-waterproof-jacket-olive/p39923

Nice dark Olive colour, very good fit to me, totally waterproof (which is interesting as it's a tweed jacket!) and only £210. It'll be a nice change from the usual fleeces I wear :)

Nanuq I've got a North Face jacket, McMurdo Parka - I was going to be sent to Anchorage for a few weeks for work and needed a decent jacket as I wanted to get out and about with my camera, so got myself one. 550 fill goose down, quilted and the inner liners that soft you don't want to go back indoors as you'll have to take it off! Not sure what temp they rate it too but it's bloody warm BUT not really hot when you're wearing it and it's not that cold, seems to be a very clever jacket!

Thanks AJ, it will be a nice pay rise to have (aren't they all!) but not a life changing one - that may happen next year! (hasn't stopped me ordering a Laco earlier today thou)

That McMurdo is a fine piece, it ought to work for the coldest temps you'll run into, and should last the rest of your life. If you do get sent here let's arrange a mini-GTG, eh?

Definitely, I'll be in touch if I'm sent out that way.

The trip I was going to do we got some extra time to complete our software so managed to get all the final tweaks done here so they didn't need to send me out there in the end. I was quite fed up that I wasn't going to be honest, never been to Alaska before!

You'll have to tell me about your software and how it would apply here. Now I'm curious!

Never been to Alaska? This was filmed within a 5 mile radius of my home. Watch closely, in one part you can watch the ocean come up, then freeze.

http://vimeo.com/45105667

• Like 1

and don't go rep they say....

7b2f.jpg

I love how everyone has an expert opinion.

Ken

Ken, wasn't intended to harm your reputation! :) 

I just was traumatized by the Beijing Cloth rep markets! Bought some shoes there for fun, and had to leave them in the trash after 20min of wear cause they smelled like a dead horse!

And bear in mind Arc'teryx are cut very close to the body. They are a very focused, single purpose piece of gear. As is, I suppose, a tweed overcoat.

I find it best to buy good quality pieces for the three layers:

Bottom (merino wool)

Insulating (fleece or equivalent)

Shell (breathable membrane)

Then adjust the middle layer to accommodate different temperature and exertion levels. Bring a spare bottom layer in case you overdo it.

There's the key to being safe in the cold.

• Like 1

And bear in mind Arc'teryx are cut very close to the body. They are a very focused, single purpose piece of gear. As is, I suppose, a tweed overcoat.

I find it best to buy good quality pieces for the three layers:

Bottom (merino wool)

Insulating (fleece or equivalent)

Shell (breathable membrane)

Then adjust the middle layer to accommodate different temperature and exertion levels. Bring a spare bottom layer in case you overdo it.

There's the key to being safe in the cold.

Amen to that!

Layers is the way to go!

EDIT : I am so lucky the Arcteryx fits me like a glove! Almost like they where tailor made for my body shape..

This Alpha is my "go to" jacket in harsh weather, with merino base and insulation middle.

post-21269-0-31568500-1388351082_thumb.j

Ah very nice! My shell is a Moonstone Sauvage and after 12 years it's still bulletproof and fits like it was custom cut for me. Norsewear merino or Lothlorian possum for the mid layer and thin merino on the bottom.

For extreme camping I wear an enormous down outer layer, thick Norsewear middle layer and Smartwool zip-neck bottom layer with beaver fur hat. It's actually TOO warm even at -40F but I can unzip to vent heat.

There's the reason for real survival gear.

• Like 1

I know we're far off topic here, let me add one more comment.

An dear old friend named Pia brought me one of these from NZ and it's literally the warmest, most luxurious, most amazing thing I've ever worn. It's literally amazing. Once your wife puts it on, you'll never get it back. They also make hats, gloves and scarves.

http://www.piasweaters.com/product-p/l-m-tpb.htm

Talking about hats!

I bought a handmade Karakul (persian lamb) hat from some middle eastern country some years ago..

MY GAWD that thing is the hottest (warmth vise) hat I have ever owned.... Talk about insulation!

post-21269-0-42569700-1388352138_thumb.j