When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Big crown homage project.

dbane883

While I patiently wait for several items for a grail project, I rummaged through my parts bin for a fun project over the past few weekends. Well, it's just about done.

As many of you are aware, afew months ago the boys at Project X announced a limited edition big crown homage based on a modern sub C:

yzydasuq.jpg

While it has its good points, there are several that really bother me. So I decided to build my own:

udy5a8yq.jpg

aze3ejat.jpg

bemega5y.jpg

3e9ytamu.jpg

4e5ugu4y.jpg

The case I used was an SA3135 V2 Sub C that I bought last year (because I needed the movement).

u5u4a2em.jpg

I heated the crystal with a BBQ lighter and tapped the old cyclops off.

I spent more time that I should have shaving off the CGs because this sub has one of the unremoveable noob-like bezels. Most if it was sanded down by hand but in think I did a reasonable job.

I used a BP dial and removed the markers and relumed them with a creamy colored patina. I felt the project x had a colour that was wY too fake.

7e3e3ahy.jpg

u6eqaqej.jpg

The toughest challenge I had was the important red triangle in the bezel.

I removed the old paint with acetone and tried several different mixtures of epoxy and red lacquer:

2u3e6uny.jpg

terata4a.jpg

Somehow, the lacquer prevented the export from setting properly and I couldn't get the adhesion that was acceptable. Plus the colour was off(the epoxy caused the paint to take on a much darker tone). So after 8 failed attempts, I just painted layer upon layer of straight red lacquer until I built up a fairly thick mound:

2u5y3aga.jpg

Then, ever so carefully, I scraped off the paint with an exacto until it was flush with the ceramic. Each layer of paint was allowed 2 days to dry.

yqepytav.jpg

The lugs were thinned out to bring the proportions more in line to what I think the sub c should have. Honestly not a fan of the current, piggish, ceramic subs and GMT's.

I softened the case a little bit as I wanted this watch to look a bit worn and weathered. Almost like what a big crown homage might look like in 10-15 years.

I also think any big crown homage should have lug holes. So drilled those to accept gen spring bars; not an easy task!

y3y9a2aj.jpg

Big crown courtesy of Athaya. I had to drill a 3.6mm hole and tap it to accept the new crown. He does a great job with his 8mm crowns.

5eguqu8e.jpg

Movement is a Swiss eta 2836 that I had lying around.

Overall, reasonably pleased with the results. Not sure it will see much wrist time as I am sorta in my vintage phase if my life, but it's not something you see everyday.

a4avy6yd.jpg

I'll confess, I'm in love. That is what the Project X Big Crown homage should have been. Throw on some solid bars and a Bond-pattern NATO and it'll be stunning. Or maybe a brown suede. May I suggest beveling the lugs? Too bad it's not possible to do a coin edge bezel -- that's the only other detail I would change in a perfect world. Anyway, I really don't mean to nitpick; terrific job in creating a gorgeous watch.

Ah, yeah, zooming in I see it. Nice work. I wouldn't make it any deeper but I might bring it further up the line of the lugs toward the case. It's hard to tell from those pictures. Might be cool to take some off the bottom of the lugs instead -- get more of that "hawksbill" effect from the classic subs. But then I might just be full of crap LOL

Working on getting a 116610 bracelet to fit. I was a hair off when drilling the lug holes. So the endlinks are not lining up just right. A few close ups. Lugs are beveled contrary to popular belief. Although could use some more. But remember, I'm going for the 10-15 year old homage to an homage look.. So should look a bit over polished. Lugs have been drastically thinned out: ha5e5yqu.jpg Getting the triangle filled in and flush is key in my books: jamupa7e.jpg Used Watchlume ivory vintage lume with a tiny speck of yellow acrylic paint: sy8ysy3e.jpg Note how thin the lug tips are compare to a sub c. Homage requires a big diet for that pig: 3y8a7e6y.jpg Athaya crown is excellent. Perhaps could be a touch more rounded but tube combo fits like butter: te4adyhu.jpg Can't forget to paint the second sweep white: 3y3e4yde.jpg Of course gotta do the platinum paint mod on bezel. I use Tamiya and Mr Cyrstal hobby paints. 5e7unagu.jpg Again this is not the best Sub C case (it's the SA3135). If I had to do it again I'd use a BP sub C... If for no other reason that the bezel is removable on that one.

Here are pdbads specs

---BK Noob No Date Submariner Donor

Verified Swiss Sellita movement or optional ETA 2836

-Caseback individually numbered and engraved "Heritage Submariner 2014 Limited Edition number xx/20".

-Custom vintage mottled lume in genuine Tritec Suerluminova

-Ivory enameled seconds hand

-New skinny hour hand

-Platinum ceramic bezel marker enamel and solid red triangle at 12:00 (just noticed in the pics that I need to clean up the edges

-Crown guards removed

-Yuki 8mm Brevet crown and tube set

-Lugs hand chamfered and polished

-Bracelet buffed, rebrushed to rolex spec, oiled, screws loctited

-Sealed and waterproofed to 5ATM

Pfft. No lug holes :). It is nice as you would expect from Pdad, but it's got that horrible patina. It's not as bad as the "gen" project X, but still looks quite fake. Mine is less "fake" :). Wonder how he did the red triangle. I think he did a good job of that. How much is he charging?

• 2 months later...

Yikes!  $1,000?  I mean no disrespect to the man, but holy crap that's a lot.  It's one thing if you do it yourself and make this.  It's a labor of love and you are tinkering around with your own watch, gaining valuable experience, and all around just having fun doing it.  The end product is something that has a different look and you have a cool story to share with anyone who asks you about it.  "Wow, you made this yourself?  That is so cool.  How did you do it?"

It's quite another to fork over a grand for the same thing, which at the end of the day doesn't look as good as your own does and is totally a fake watch.

It looks excellent, the only thing I would recommend is to learn how to use tapatalk, as it´s a little bit tricky and looks like a mess. If you put a space or two after each image, the result would be better.

I think I fixed it. Didnt realize how messed up it was until today.

At any rate I don't own it anymore. Hopefully the raffle winner will enjoy it. It'll be awhile till I build anything like it again.