When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 1675 losing lume, relume or not?

F.Castro

So i have this 1675 from 67/68 and now thr lume starts to fall off. Index nine is all gone and index six is starting to head in the same way, the minut hand is also starting as you can se in the pic.

Now i know all vrf guy's are telling me, DO NOT relume the dial! I just orderd a service dial and as we speak my ad is installing it. But the old dial, should i just letit be like this or should i relume it? Im leaning twords having it relumed vintage style. Let me know what you guys think.

post-61232-0-59558500-1390734893_thumb.j

This is the dilemma, if you relume the dial, you basically destroy it's value as an authentic untouched dial, however as others have said, pieces of lume can get into the movement through the date window, and if they get into the movement you could have bigger problems. Since you are replacing the dial, I wouldn't worry about this one, set it aside, and carry on with the new dial, hands. you should be good to go for many years. Wear the watch and enjoy it, you can always include the old original dial as part of the sale if you should ever decide to sell the watch.

I

f your watch had gone back to a RSC for service years ago, the RSC would have replaced the dial/hands as part of the service. That was the way Rolex handled watches with failing lume. I would bet that most of the older Rolex watches that have gone to RSC's over the years don't have the original hands/dial, crown/tube and inserts that they came with as new. Of course that is the dilemma that vintage watch owners face when getting their watches serviced by Rolex, they (RSC's) want to replace everything!! That's  pretty much a moot point now as Rolex won't service many of the older watches. Possibly they are out of parts, maybe they don't want to fool with them, who knows.

Yes Ad will give me the old dial+hands, there mine :) yes i think it will go to a new reluming job.

I hope you are right as they normally don't return them. :g:

As for the old dial , you can get it redone at anytime, but it will only be Original once. Best of luck!

Keep the original dial as it is. If you're getting a new one installed just put the old one aside in a safe place (in a tub or holder which wont be knocked about). Decide some other day now's not the time (sure whats the point when you arent putting the old one back in straight away?) You may regret reluming it in the future if you do it now on a whim. Thats my thoughts.

Is that a Lumi Service dial? The plots and hands look too white to be tritium. If it glows like a torch, it's probably lumi.

I believe that you made the right decision. Now you have a very serviceable, usable watch for many, many years, and should nostalgia overwhelm you, or you decide to sell the watch, having the old original hands and dial are a big plus.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for pointing out that potential lume contamination problem with older gens. I have a 1970 GMT with T lume and may run into the same issue sooner or later. So far it looks ok (see below), but I'll keep an eye on it as it may come.

First-pics-1675-Jul13-01-wr_zps2c919d45.

I think about having my dial checked and cleaned by the local watchsmith more often, as I don't want a service dial & hands on mine.