When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Should a Swiss ETA-2836-2 25j slow down within a year?

frenchy

Hi all,

A year ago exactly I purchased a Swiss ETA-2836-2 25j automatic Submariner.

The watch was great, could leave it off for days with everything still ticking on, no loss of time.

Recently it has been playing up. I'll take it off and it'll stop within the hour. It doesn't keep time. Falls behind over a day.

I know the movement was second hand in the first place, but this seems odd for a swiss 25j movement? It's acting like an Asian 21j cheapo.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or is this normal?

Thanks v much

Edited by frenchy

It could be your rotor has come off sometimes the rotor screw works its way loose that means the movement is not winding properly causing the watch to stop and loose time ,get it checked and a service and it should run like new again ! 

Aeromatic - Thanks for the info. Do you think it's best to get this done at a watch shop "in town" or send it back to original seller to get it serviced?

SSTEEL - I will be sure to share a positive experience as soon as possible. I just wanted a bit of help. Apologies.

It was probably an old used movement when you bought it. It surely needs a full service by now to bring it back to life. That's part of the problem with enjoying automatic movements. They should be serviced every 4 or 5 years. Sending it back to China would be worst option since no dealer would warranty that after a year.

Aeromatic - Thanks for the info. Do you think it's best to get this done at a watch shop "in town" or send it back to original seller to get it serviced?

Get it serviced at a watch shop is the best good luck !!! all reps or used movements first need a full service !!!

Even if it gets "better" I would bet that the movement needs a service. The rep manufacturers are all using used movements now, and it's no telling how old yours is or what condition it was in when it was installed in your watch. If this is a watch you intend to keep, treat it to a service. Strip, clean and oil then regulate and it will be good to go for years more.