When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Movement going backwards?

droptopman

Hi,  Took a gen quartz Tommy Bahama watch that I have worn maybe 3-4 times into my local jeweler to have a battery put in last night.  When he installed the new battery it started going backwards: second hand, minute and hour hands.  It worked fine last time I wore it, year ago maybe then battery died.  The guy is clueless and basically told me to send it into Tommy B.  He even charged me :bangin: needless to say will never go back to that store.  Anyone with any experience with this?  Any help appreciated.  I was putting some stuff together to donate for the raffle so this is for a good cause.

Thanks  

A quartz movement will need to power the right way around. Unless it's a fred flinstone quartz.

I'd let it run for 10 mins and then take the battery out and put it back in again. May need to do that a few times.

Alternatively take battery out, do the slap in your palm thing, and put battery back in.

mymy8era.jpgazy7azyq.jpgvapa3uja.jpga5avuga7.jpgsura3asu.jpgnanase6y.jpg

Some pics. Please remember I could build a mouse or rat motor or tweak on golf clubs but first time I opened a watch. The date wheel goes upwards when setting it. Numbers correct order but moves up instead of down??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep it is one of a kind very rare and will be worth three times the price you paid! :pimp:

Ok maybe not..................................... :partytime:

So we have aliens, reversing magnetic poles and the backwards battery theory aren't you glad I advised you to post the problem ! :bangin: :bangin:

Hey, what do you expect we're not quartz guys.

Even sillier question, is the dial on upside down? Meaning the 12 o'clock where the 6 o'clock should go?

the hands would still be moving in the same direction if so no?, since if this be the case, you are merely rotating the dial 180 degrees

There would be a problem with date window alignment too if so :lol:

Thanks guys if nothing else provided some entertainment. I still am just dumbfounded. I can't figure out how it is possible for this to work this way keeps perfect time backwards. Wish I had more tools. Been looking to order some but still shopping so all I have is small set screwdrivers. Well....and a hammer

Done deal it is toast. Broke something. Anyone looking for a Gen TB case, dial, hands, crystal....sell cheap

Too bad but you probably needed a new movement anyway. A quick Google of "quartz running backwards" says it was probably a bent stator which is pretty hard to fix for an amateur and most smiths would just change the movement.

It's been magnetized. You  need to demagneitize it. Here is how you do that. Take an extension cord, cut the end off of it, trim the insulation from each wire, plug it into the socket. Now touch you movement with both ends. Be careful though. After you see the 110 volt spark, through that movement away and buy a new one, because it is toast.  LOL  PLEASE DON"T DO THAT iM ONLY KIDDING.

• Like 1

Typically quartz movements need to be shorted to the battery to "reset" after a battery change. There will be a small terminal or node marked with a (+) or R or even labeled RESET. You jumper this to the backside of the battery. I usually use tweezers but anything metal will do so long as it is small enough that it only contacts the node when touching. This should fix your problem.

If you need help with specifics try to find the caliber number of the movement and we can try to look it up.