When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

5514 non-Comex dial

danielv2000

A couple of months ago, I was fortunate to pick up a nicelay aged HH5514 case from member Lionsandtigers. It came with an athaya tube installed, gen t19 service crystal and bezel assembly. I've got a gen 5513 insert somewhere still sealed, if I recall.

Earlier this week, Lionsandtigers sent me a nice pm alerting me of this dial for sale on VRF. A big thank you to Lionsandtigers for helping me out with this build.

nu4y2uve.jpg

I did not waste much time given the price. The seller also had a nice 1665 for sale but I had just completed my 6263 deal and just could not justify another $1000 on a dial that would sit in a drawer until I had time to get to it. So I went only for the 5513.

It's seen some better days. The lume has turned brown in some spots but it looks right for the build.

2a3ypyjy.jpg

by8amyga.jpg

I'm thinking of having it relumed. I like things NOS, typically. Any words of wisdom?

Tough call. Judging by your first picture I'd also consider a relume, but on the other pics the lume looks pretty nice... If it doesn't look rotten, I'd probably build a rough tool watch, perfect match if you ask me. Beautiful dial one way or the other. :)

I think it's lovely. I also like the choice of the smudge dial. As far as I know, a 5514 with a non-Comex dial would have come with a simple feet first proper "pre-comex" dial--when the smudge dial was being put in 5513s the 5514s would have been coming with a Comex labeled dial also from Stern. But, there is a certain coolness to these dials.

I am building out an HH case from dbane with a feet-first dial, and it's a bit boring. 1520 in route  :) .

Cheers.

smudge is the shape of the coronet (crown).

if you notice its not really even on the left and the right, kinda pulls out on the left and dips in on the right, hence, looks "smudged"

Ah, I see it now.

I'm siding with the Italian cabal on VRF. There are several threads on this there :)

Cheers.

Thanks. I did some reading last night.

Bart Simpson dial. Leave it as is, otherwise you greatly reduce its value & increase the likelihood of having it ID'd as a repro.

I think I might side with the majority!