When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I have a confession to make...

Change

I hate Rolex watches.

I don't know why, I just don't like the styling. I'm not drawn to them at all, but I feel like I should buy one for the collection, just to say I have one... 

I'm drawn to Breitlings and Omega's, and the occasional TAG. I really like the Calibre 36 Caliper, but I've read horrible things about the movement in the rep. 

Maybe I don't like the Rollie's because I like bigger watches... 43 is small on my wrist (to me) so I opt for 45mm and up. I like busier dials too...

I think if I were to get a Rollie, it would be an all PVD model. Do they make an all PVD model at least 45mm in size, without a cyclops?

Can get the DSSD in a PVD. If you really want a beefy watch get the challenger and send it off to get coated.

Like this one here? http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_235&products_id=4514

I don't know enough about Rollie's to tell how accurate this is compared to gen... Thoughts, anyone?

I really can't quite comprehend the idea of having one just to say you have a Rolex in your collection? I seriously doubt that it will get much wrist time, since you don't like the brand to start with. I have never felt the need to add a watch to my "collection" just to say I have one, and especially if it were a brand that I didn't like at all!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"I like bigger watches... 43 is small on my wrist (to me) so I opt for 45mm and up. I like busier dials too...'  I am the opposite although big watches wear well on me I prefer smaller w/ less busy dials. Now if you do not like Rolex why buy, I have no AP's nice watch guys like them just not me, plenty of Rolex though.

I hate Rolex watches.

Maybe I don't like the Rollie's because I like bigger watches... 43 is small on my wrist (to me) so I opt for 45mm and up. I like busier dials too...

I think if I were to get a Rollie, it would be an all PVD model. Do they make an all PVD model at least 45mm in size, without a cyclops?

As far as why get one if he doesn't like them I'm going with his suggestion that it is size based. I don't like the DSSD as it seems out of proportion to me, but maybe he would like it.

Yes the truth of the matter is if you just don't like them you won't likely get much use out if the watch but who amung us hasn't gotten a cheapie just to try it? I got my first Pam on a whim and now I really like them and have moved on to get others. I cam to the rep world looking for a rolex (who has the best sub?) and now have sold my rolex reps and my only reps are Pam 177, a PloProf and a Breitling Abyss. To an extent reps are a great way to try different style watches without blowing big bucks that the gens would cost.

• Like 1

I think I've narrowed it down... I dislike the plain dials and cyclops. I really hate the cyclops...lol.

I like the Pro-Hunter model I linked to above, it seems hefty. But is it a fantasy rep?

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk

Hi, I like the PVD Piccard Edition DSSD, its rough, big, heavy and tough, not instantly recognizable as a Rolex and the PVD doesn´t wear off easily. The HE valve is silvery and should be black coated, rest is fine, can´t tell if that version has the correct micro-adjustable clasp. If You go for the silvery one this is the best in the lower price-range: http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=10334

Only other option imho is the Seadweller 16600 classic model without Cyclops and Trusty has a good one, this: http://www.ttw888.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_8&products_id=10934

Think its correct to try one out because the attractions of the watch only come when You have it for some time.

correct clasp

IMG_2160c.jpg

DSSD and 16600 Seadweller

dssdsubc800xIMG_1770.jpg

wristshot

IMG_1599.jpg

16600 Seadweller

M-series16610Seadweller_1392_zps7cec0b8f

• Like 1

While I too prefer larger watches, I do find the simple elegant design of Rolex to be very attractive.   I have a Sub and a DSSD rep in my collection and find myself drawn to the DSSD quite often, with the Sub relegated to more special occasions.   

I recently got a Pam Bronzo and while I never was attracted to the brand, I'm stricken with this watch!   Can't take it off!   ;-)

As a result, my 3 Breitlings are just sitting in the winder.........

I've kind of lost some interest in rollies as well, not that I wouldn't pick up a really good rep, but since I got into this hobby, there are just so many other intriguing pieces out there.

Plus, it seems you see a lot more of them in the wild these days, maybe because good reps are so easy to come by now.

I think the James Bond influence has held sway for some 4+ decades, but these days, I am much more interested in high-quality diving pieces that stand on their own merits, and not necessarily sub homages.