When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aging a 6542 Bakelite Insert

denimhead

Nearly finished on my 6542 build, and decided to have a play about with the rep 6542 Plastic Insert. Having had a really good look at various Gens i wanted to re create the Black spiders web effect that a lot of them seem to suffer with in terms of the aging process. I have to say I'm really pleased with the result

Just waiting for a roulette overlay from Italy to complete the build.

Daz has, as always done an amazing job of re luming my dial and hands, my watchmaker has modified my 2846 so it mimics a Gen 1036 movement. Hacking lever removed, non adjustable 24hr small hand and a non quick set function.

Watch this space

Cheers DH

post-12988-0-19295100-1398976067_thumb.j

Tasty!!!  The surface texture looks nice.

Is there a way to attack the numerals from the back, and let some tint soak inside?  It would be glorious to see an antique yellowing to the plastic and to the numerals themselves.

Hi B,

I did have a think about this but the only way to remove the paint is by using a pin, which scratches the inner surface of the number cavity and ends up looking crap. It could ideally use a bit of aging to the numbers and dots but i have seen a few whitey's in my research.

Here's Mr D's handy work on the dial. Its kinda going back to what we were doing a while ago using the old silix 6538 builds, creating a nice looking but cheap 6542 build

post-12988-0-00729500-1398977321_thumb.j

Oooooooooooo tasty.  What would happen if you soaked the insert in iodine overnight?  Is the paint porous enough to let the tint soak in?

Its certainly an idea B, I'm going to wait to see how the complete build ends up looking first. Once the dial and hands go in it may add enough 'age' to the build to pull off the whitey insert. Daz has kindly agreed to put it together for me so hopefully we'll end up with a peach.

Do i detect an Alaskan cousin being mulled over in your head B  ;) Its the silix 6538's all over again mate

Has the tan faded yet?

Cheers M 

Good Lord in Heaven, not a Pan-Am build!  I haven't recovered yet from the Big Gonzo build!  I still wake up with cold sweats.

But the Big Gonzo did prove himself worthy in the briny deep all around Hawaii.  He saw duty under Waimanalo, Waimea, Koko, Hanauma, Lanikai, Sunset and Kuhio.  What a joy, and utterly readable even as it gets darker the deeper you go.

post-32-0-10859700-1398983799_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...