When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PayPal new & revised terms & conditions

fraggle42

Just read this from PP:-

Seller Protection Programme

Section 11.1 is amended to clarify the scope of the Seller Protection Programme. The amended section 11.1 reads as follows:

“11.1 What is PayPal seller protection?

If you are the recipient of a payment made by a customer ("Payment Recipient"), we may reimburse you an amount for Claims, Chargebacks, or Reversals made against you based on the following reasons:

a. A Chargeback or Reversal was issued against you for the reason of an “Unauthorised Payment”; or

b. A Chargeback or Claim was issued against you for the reason of “Not Received”,

where PayPal receives from you proof that the item was posted or delivered in accordance with the requirements set forth below, subject to the further provisions of this section 11 (including, without limitation, the Eligibility Requirements at section 11.6)."

So if someone doesn't receive the goods and the buyer does a PP claim and wins, if you have proof of postage, or proof of delivery, PP will "reimburse you an amount" for the buyers chargeback.

Don't know the section 11 it's referring to, don't know the details on the amount they'll reimburse you for? I can't see it being the full amount, if it was PP would be offering it's own postal insurance service for free - and there's no chance they're doing something for nothing!!

A little glimmer of hope though.

• Like 1

Buyer protection changes are worrying though:-

"

PayPal Buyer Protection

With effect from a date to be confirmed by PayPal in due course (falling on or after the Effective Date), section 13 will be amended to make several improvements to the PayPal Buyer Protection policy. The amendments will:
improve the conditions of reimbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection for PayPal users registered as UK residents by:

1. increasing the time allowed for buyers to raise a Dispute from 45 days to 180 days from the date on which payment was made; and
  2. extending the range of eligible purchases to cover :
    1. intangible items (including, without limitation, rights of access to digital content and other licences) ;
    2. services; and
    3. travel tickets (including, without limitation, airline flight tickets); and
  3. for all users contracting with PayPal under the User Agreement, clarify:
    1. the conditions for reimbursement under PayPal Buyer Protection if you are a buyer (including, without limitation, your requirements to cooperate with PayPal if a problem with a purchase is reported to PayPal);
    2. the extent of your potential liability under PayPal Buyer Protection if you are a Payment Recipient (i.e. a seller)
    3. the nature and scope of PayPal’s discretionary role in providing PayPal Buyer Protection;
    4. the choices you have to resolve a problem with a purchase without involving PayPal; and
    5. by way of notice, that in certain cases the proceeds of a buyer’s payment to a UK based Payment Recipient for event tickets may be held on trust for (i.e. for the benefit of) the buyer, to ensure that they can get their money back through PayPal, subject to further conditions, if the event does not take place on the scheduled date.

"

The buyer can claim upto 6 months after the sale!!

Also:-

"If I am a Payment Recipient? If PayPal makes a final decision on the buyer’s problem in the buyer’s favour, you will be liable to PayPal for the amount that PayPal may reimburse to the buyer. PayPal shall not be obliged to refund your PayPal or eBay fees associated with the transaction. In some cases (for instance, if you lose a SNAD Claim because the item you sold is counterfeit) you might not receive the item back from the buyer (for instance, it may be disposed of or otherwise irreversibly dealt with)."

They're basically saying if you're selling rep (anything), you have to refund the money and have no expectations of the item being returned.

Interestingly items that are "Custom made items" do not fall under the PP Buyer Protection program...

And payments made in more than one installment are also not covered.

It said something about these terms & conditions, one sec and I'll quote that bit.

"

Policy Updates

This page informs users in advance of important changes to the PayPal service, its User Agreement, or other policies. This page displays policy updates with future effective dates. Go to Past Policy Updates for previous policy updates.

Amendment to the PayPal User Agreement

Effective Date: Jun 17, 2014

"

Nothing in there about these changes being specific to the UK or EU.

There are some changes to some cut off times for transactions (so they will happen the next business day) that mentioned Greece, Ireland, Hungary and Czech Republic but that's it.

I'm guessing these changes are worldwide (as far as local law allows them)

Just a  supposition: It´s all about the money and it opens the door for charging an additional fee $0,99 for the service as well as withholding funds for an extended period of time (which in turn is invested by PP themselves overnight) Quotation from the FAQ´s: "When some sellers receive payments, we may hold the money in their pending balance for up to 21 days. We want to make sure that there are no problems with the orders, such as disputes, claims, returns, or chargebacks. After we determine that the order was fulfilled and the customer is satisfied, we may release the money earlier.

If we place your money in a pending balance, it belongs to you but isn't immediately available to spend or withdraw."

They just could increase the 21 days to 90 days for instance or make 45 days a rule.

I have been transitioning the domestic folks I deal with over to Amazon Payments.  No fees on a personal account but I'm not sure if it's available internationally...

6 bloody months claim timeframe? That's gonna make using PP an absolute minefield, who can remember what they sold (or bought) via PP 6 months ago?

That's rubbish! I'll understand the claim timeframe and it's a good thing but 6 bloody months is way too long!  :huh:

• Like 1

Please tell me you're being serious

I have a megaton of bitcoin I'd like to unload on the first guy to buy the Brooklyn bridge :D

Who the hell wants Brooklyn bridge? I already bought London bridge with paypal. If it doesn't arrive in 6 months I'll put a complaint in. ;)

But seriously. Bitcoins are perfect for this forum.

Yes the price fluctuates, but that's still less than paypal fees. That's assuming they went down, they could just as easily fluctuate up giving you a little more profit.

If you don't want to risk long term fluctuations then just trade them for real money as soon as they are received. Done. Quick. Easy. No fees. No reversal.

That's my 2 cents or 0.002 bitcoins or something...

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who use binary and those who don't.