When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hesalite?

GenTLe

Hi Gents,

around one month ago I purchased this sweety one (this time not a rep):

junkers-6060-5-bauhaus-series-watch.jpgjunkers_6060-2_bottom_view.jpg

It's based on original Miyota 9132 (28.8kbph) and has Hesalite front glass.

Can you confirm that Hesalite is NOT the soft plastic used by things like Swatch Irony watches that get scratched just looking at it? I wore it just a couple of evenings (perfect for elegant suits that I don't wear so often) so I can't really say...

PS: in case you don't know about this brand, give a look at their site (http://www.pointtec.de/): they have some very interesting objects there, like these original ETA 7753 based pilots (and also Zeppelin branded ones):

junkers_6820-5_perspective_view.jpg  junkers_6628-2_perspective_view.jpg

Tnx, GenTLe

TYPICALLY GERMAN...

Kitsch or cult? There are arguments for both points of view. Only one thing is for sure: These little guys do no longer live in Snow White’s shadow. According to estimates, about 25 million garden gnomes populate German gardens. But there’s another mystery: Why – for gnome’s sake – is the international association for the Protection of Garden Gnomes based in Basel, Switzerland?

Hesalite is a plexi glass (plastic) it does scratch easily but these scratches can be buffed out with a polishing compound called Poly Watch (it's like 5 bucks). This is a great material for a watch crystal, very clear and should not crack or shatter. 

If I'm not mistaken, the Hesalite version of the Omega Speedmaster Professional is still the most popular version and the crystal looks very good, 'warmer' than a sapphire. 

TYPICALLY GERMAN...

Kitsch or cult? There are arguments for both points of view. Only one thing is for sure: These little guys do no longer live in Snow White’s shadow. According to estimates, about 25 million garden gnomes populate German gardens. But there’s another mystery: Why – for gnome’s sake – is the international association for the Protection of Garden Gnomes based in Basel, Switzerland?

Think perhaps you lost me on that one.....

Mike, if you like the Bauhaus style, and you've a bunch of dollars to spend, then go for the Junghans - Max Bill collection.

They're great, unfortunately no reps here and prices that go from 750 to 2500US$

The Chronoscope is great:

Max-Bill-by-Junghans-chronoscope1.jpg

MAX_BILL_FACES.jpg

;-)

Think perhaps you lost me on that one.....

Yes its rather convoluted, and gnome could be a symbolic representative for a "watch movement" in this case, and that most "German" watches are actually mostly "foreign" at one level or another.

Interesting that this say MADE IN GERMANY when the movement is obviously from JAPAN. The Junkers is a beautiful looking watch but why is the company misrepresenting it.

Edited by gran

European laws :-(

Here too we have "Made in Italy" clothes made with material coming from China, sawed in Turkmenistan, and then with few modifications done here -> made in Italy! :-///

You can imagine how this problem is strongly felt for a brand like "Made in Italy" :-/

Mike, if you like the Bauhaus style, and you've a bunch of dollars to spend, then go for the Junghans - Max Bill collection.

They're great, unfortunately no reps here and prices that go from 750 to 2500US$

The Chronoscope is great:

Max-Bill-by-Junghans-chronoscope1.jpg

MAX_BILL_FACES.jpg

;-)

Saw these before, very lovely watches :) Reminds me of the IWC 3714

Yes its rather convoluted, and gnome could be a symbolic representative for a "watch movement" in this case, and that most "German" watches are actually mostly "foreign" at one level or another.

Interesting that this say MADE IN GERMANY when the movement is obviously from JAPAN. The Junkers is a beautiful looking watch but why is the company misrepresenting it.

Not much different than our friends in Switzerland then... Just assemble the parts (ensuring that at least 50% in cost of the movement come from Switzerland) and bing bang bimbo you have a nice Swiss Made watch!

Hesalite is a plexi glass (plastic) it does scratch easily but these scratches can be buffed out with a polishing compound called Poly Watch (it's like 5 bucks). This is a great material for a watch crystal, very clear and should not crack or shatter.

If I'm not mistaken, the Hesalite version of the Omega Speedmaster Professional is still the most popular version and the crystal looks very good, 'warmer' than a sapphire.

Hesalite is still currently used on all NASA commissioned watches. In addition, the current US Military issued Pilot's watches are made with Hesalite crystals. The reason for this is that Hesalite expands and contracts with pressure changes without shattering.

Not much different than our friends in Switzerland then... Just assemble the parts (ensuring that at least 50% in cost of the movement come from Switzerland) and bing bang bimbo you have a nice Swiss Made watch!

But I already siadt that "Why – for gnome’s sake – is the international association for the Protection of Garden Gnomes based in Basel, Switzerland?"

Hesalite is still currently used on all NASA commissioned watches. In addition, the current US Military issued Pilot's watches are made with Hesalite crystals. The reason for this is that Hesalite expands and contracts with pressure changes without shattering.

Well, so definitively it can't the same plastic used for the Swatches... That one is more similar to PET, it's such soft that it gets scratched just by the contacts with the shirt sleeve!

For what I've seen hesalite doesn't get bad after just 1 day of normal use

Cheers, GenTLe

Edited by GenTLe

'Hesalite' = another name for a plain old Plexiglas crystal...same stuff as used in three for $1 generic acrylic crystals, $8 GS, AF, Stella etc acrylic crystals, $35 omega acrylic crystals, $75 rolex acrylic crystals, and $250 patek phileeeeppe! acrylic crystals.

$$$...it's all in the name.  :pimp: