When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Why The Box And Papers?

jkerouac

Pardon my ignorance, but why do people desire and pay good money to own a genuine (or faux genuine)box and papers for their reps?

In some cases it seems to me that people intend to palm their reps off as genuines.

But if that is not the case, then what is the motivation? You can't wear the box, let alone the papers. And even if I were showing a watch off, it would not involve the box or any papers.

So please enlighten me.

Pardon my ignorance, but why do people desire and pay good money to own a genuine (or faux genuine)box and papers for their reps?

In some cases it seems to me that people intend to palm their reps off as genuines.

But if that is not the case, then what is the motivation? You can't wear the box, let alone the papers. And even if I were showing a watch off, it would not involve the box or any papers.

So please enlighten me.

I dont have a fascination with the box and papers. Though it just looks nice to display in my opinion.

i got box and papers to fool dad to thinking i got him a real rolex. after an hour or two of talking about it, he finally read my b-day card to him, which stated it was fake.

without the box and papers, i wouldn't have that joyous look on his face. Anyways long story short, he doesnt wear his gen rollie no more. Wears the rep everyday now.

as for me, i'd be interested in a box and manual for decor, don't need no stinking papers.

Display is nice-- terrific even. But doesn't a generic watch box do the trick for this? Why is a box that looks like the authentic Rollie or Omega box hold a fascination?

(Truth in advertising: the only display box I own is an "authentic" RWG I commemorative box... and it is a very nice box.)

You can't wear the box, let alone the papers. And even if I were showing a watch off, it would not involve the box or any papers.

To me, wearing a watch is not the only -- or even main -- reason why I buy it.

Let alone showing it off.

Display is nice-- terrific even. But doesn't a generic watch box do the trick for this? Why is a box that looks like the authentic Rollie or Omega box hold a fascination?

(Truth in advertising: the only display box I own is an "authentic" RWG I commemorative box... and it is a very nice box.)

In the interest of honesty, I shold admit I bought a box and papers set for my 111, no matter how embarrasing it is: I just didn't like the way the big honkin' 44mm PAM looked in my boxes next to the 36-41 watches...looked out of place. Hey, I'm anal. Sue me. The papers came w/ it and I don't even remember where I stuck them.

That being said, I'm with you. I worry aboutj people worried about the D in Certifidato the same way I worry about the people who worry about unique serial numbers....but only a little. Probaly they've just gotten a ittle too caght up in the acuacy game or maybe just get a rus out of fooing people. I doubt highly that very many of us are hawking reps as gens.

The real question is, how can anyone smart enough to ahieve the requisite disposable incom to spend 5 grand on a watch be dumb enough to buy a rep sold as a gen?

I think more often that not boxes and papers are a noob thing. Obviously not ALWAYS but most newbies get s perverese thrill out of fooling themselves in some odd way that the submariner they just bought is genuine. Hell, I recall the first fake sub I got 6 or 7 years back. It came in a fake box and it somehow made it cooler to be in that box.

Now I am asucker for ANY cool packaging, gen, fake, watch, DVD, whatever... I just like the stuff, the design of it, everything in it's place and all of that. With that siad I now go out of my way to NOT have boxes or papers with any fake waych that I buy. In fact I throw or give them away if they happen to arrive with box sets (the boxes, not the watches). They just take up space in a drawer and after a few dozen the thrill and novelty wears off for sure.

I also must admit that the thought of fake papers and hang tags and such sort of creeps me out because I know the real reason those are made is to deceive people... as in sell a fake as a gen, and THAT is something that bigs me big time. I know members here are not doing that but in general that is why they are made.

I agree that they look cool. For an enthusiast that is really into a particular watch or a particular brand of watch it's a nice bit of paraphernalia.

I just bought one for a gift watch (they know it's a fake, they picked it from the dealer pics), just because I thought the recipient would get a wee kick out of it.

But I don't have any - I know it would be just more house clutter, and I need that like a hole in the head (have a double garage completely full of junk, but no enthusiasm to do anything about it).

I have many watches, along with

rolex sub: real box, real papers, no watch - lol

vacheron constantin: - real box, no papers, nice overseas rep

Pam 111 - fake box, fake papers, fake watch (my favorite watch!).

I have never shown the boxes or papers to anyone. I just like having them? Just for fun; can't really explain it. Saw them for sale and though, why the hell not? Doesn't have anything to do with passing them off, I just thought it would be fun.

The boxes are really nice, but they become a pain in the ass to store. I store my genuine watches on Orbita winders, which go into my home safe. The boxes are a pain to store, and they can be a pain to find when time comes to sell, that's why I keep the papers in a file cabinet.

AP boxes are especially nice, and the LE ones are even better, as they have a medallion at the top reflecting the LE edition (i.e. JPM, Wempe, Polaris).