When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The adventures of a WIS

docthor

As some of you already know...my WIS life started in April 2007. Before this date I always had been a watch guy but never a WIS.
Back in these days I hadn't been that much into watches. To be honest...the last watch I got wasn't on my wrist for a few month.
Well...in April 2007 I had way too much time to think about anything...lying in hospital for a few weeks and facing a long recovery when I'm out of the hospital.
So I started to search around the net for...something...
One time I remembered my interest in watches and so I bought two of the bay just because of their look.
The one was a submariner/yachtmaster look-a-like and the other a SMP 300 look-a-like.
I knew about the submariner but didn't about the SMP and thought I just bought something good.
Well...it wasn't...both were very bad examples of almost reps. Very bad made, cheap movements...nothing reliable. And realibilty has been always very important for me.
I joined my first watch forum and learned quick and a lot.
So I really started my WIS life with Seiko.
The first was a Seiko 5 Superior...I was flashed about the quality and the presence of that watch...I had to buy more :D
So I bought a SKX007, a Black Monster, several Seiko 5, some Sawtooth, some Sumos, some Premier, some Sportura, some Kinetic, some BFK...within a few month I bought almost every Seiko one can get for >1k€...there were so much, the guys in the watch forum thought that I started to deal with them :D

But...I had the feeling there has to be more...I wasn't brave enought to buy me a Seiko MM300 at this moment just because it seemed to be too much money for a Seiko...well...

So I almost quit with my Seikos (almost...some special pieces always stayed with me) and went on to Swiss made watches...

About a year after my WIS life started I thought I need to have Omegas...so...I bought a Seamaster f330hz, a Seamaster Bond 300, a 70ies vintage Seamaster, a 60ies vintage Seamaster, a 90ies Dynamic and a Speedmaster ST 175.0043.
Thought this is going to be my exit...well...they only stayed a few month...

My way went further and I randomly bought whatever looked good to me...Sinn, Tudor, Guinand, Omega, Mühle, Tag Heuer, Revue Thommen, Mido, Doxa...you name it...
But there was always that feeling that there has to be something more...

So I went higher...bought two POs 45.5 (black and pumpkin), a SOSF...well...still not excited. I sold everything and bought every colour of the Precista PRS3 and a PRS20...well...you know what happened, don't you?

We are in 2010 now and I tried to find my peace in Citizens EcoZilla...I had 8 of them at the same time, one with steel bracelet (rare piece) and the other seven with Suppas and different straps...crazy...I know :D

2011...I'm pretty bored about that WIS life...still not excited and I really tried a lot.
I closed my account on the watch board that I was most active on and hopped around the international boards on my search for "THE WATCH".

In April 2011 I took some serious money and bought the watches I thought I always wanted to have...a 16610, a 16570, a 16710 and a PAM 111...well...guess what...still not excited and I had a bad consience with having almost 20k€ in the watch drawer.
I sold them without a loss and went back to Citizen...
As I started with Seiko it was the same with Citizen...I bought almost every Citizen >1k€ but none of them stayed long...

Mid of 2012...another try, this time with only two watches...a Revue Thommen Aviator Chronograph with white dial and a Sinn 203 with black dial.

This was the first time in my WIS life that I felt comfortable with what I had. Still not excited though but it was okay...at least till February 2013...

I got the go to buy me a 1675 and so I sold the RT and the Sinn. The first 1675 I got offered was from a colleague of mine and it was a rep.
A not so good rep as I learned but good enough to fool some at a German watch board.
Good for me that some of them had been very good with spoting reps and so I had been saved from spending 3k€ for a rep :D

But from this moment on I was hooked.
So I tried to learn everything about reps, at least as much as I could :)
In March 2013 I found RWG and within a year I had about 40 reps...as you can guess...still not excited.

May 2014...I can't remember why, but I had the feeling that'll be a good idea to buy a Seiko MM300. I always loved that watch and after all these reps with all their tiny flaws and problems I really wanted to have a watch with high quality, no problems, very reliable and at a very good price...what else could it be than a Seiko MM300 :)

So I bought it and the Seiko bug was back...but...at a different level this time.
I knew a lot about watches since my start back in 2007 and first of all...I now know what is really important to me and what excites me :)

So I started to build my exit collection...not an exit of the watch game...there isn't an exit at all :D
But my exit from being a flipper :)

So the quest is over...I'm still a WIS...but a settled WIS, retired WIS...what you like ;)

This is what's left of my rep collection (except a POS which isn't for sale yet but will be next time...)

mobile.429cnsxx.jpg

And this is my current collection :)

mobile.276wsslv.jpg
mobile.3366zktk.jpg
mobile.293rlswj.jpg
mobile.405hfkd6.jpg
mobile.427rvkxl.jpg

I don't think I'll get back to reps again, since one can get so much more with almost any Seiko as long as one isn't after a watch in particular but can live with something "close". :)

But be sure I'll stay as a part of this community as long as you would like me to stay :)

That was one heck of a WIS ride and a great end point to boot. That MM300 in particular is fantastic; I like them more every time I see one.

For my part, I've really enjoyed reading your posts, and I know I'm not alone in saying that there's always room for you in this forum. Congrats on a great journey and some lovely timepieces!

Great story mate, enjoyed reading that :)

I have been there with some watches, and more recently have purchased watches from my past that I really liked but for some reason at the time I had let them go.  Mostly quartz too, but I have them again now, and contempt.

Thanks for sharing Doc, I'm not able to stick to a brand... I'd like to have "the best model" (that I like which not necessary means the most expensice) for each brand. But I know it's def impossible, so for now I'm just being addicted to this kind of "illegal" world here :)

Great story and great journey. Could the quest be (almost) over? Hard to believe from Your journey till now, those 2 HQ - Seiko beauties are still to new:) - but have that no-worries feel in-built.

Feel lucky to be quite happy and satisfied with most of mine and still on the quantity and variety carriage, missing vintage 5512 and 5513 Rolexes for now....let´s see where this goes.

Hey guys :)

Many thanks for the  nice words...I'd like to say thank you with a few pics :)

0xj1h.jpg
cdsrk.jpg

Seiko Brightz SDGZ005

nqszq.jpg
mgsq3.jpg
ausp9.jpg
mzshy.jpg
s2sh9.jpg
djsnn.jpg
yjs1s.jpg
d4s7b.jpg
husrs.jpg
1usen.jpg
p6su2.jpg
h5s3e.jpg
y0sh8.jpg
3fs97.jpg
8gsq8.jpg
ibs9l.jpg
9vst6.jpg
jjs5v.jpg
oqsjf.jpg

Seiko Marinemaster 300 SBDX001

vaks9.jpg
2qkpd.jpg
cmk3g.jpg
1wj9d.jpg
zkjmk.jpg
smj7u.jpg
1sk0i.jpg
tukxo.jpg
o2se3.jpg
insgi.jpg
r6sc6.jpg
d6s6e.jpg

Seiko Presage SARX005

cpsl8.jpg
85sbh.jpg
4hsug.jpg
masz6.jpg
vos2m.jpg
qksd3.jpg
r3sg0.jpg
89sp5.jpg
liso7.jpg

Seiko Spirit Power Design Digital SBFG001

nksba.jpg
l9sdq.jpg
8tslp.jpg
htsmp.jpg
3mshe.jpg
9bsf6.jpg

@whoever...take a look here, they still have one in stock...but hurry up...they are limited to 500 pieces :)

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-japan-82/seiko-automatic-brightz-chronograph-sdgz005-limited-edition-4569.html?currency=USD

@whoever...take a look here, they still have one in stock...but hurry up...they are limited to 500 pieces :)

http://www.creationwatches.com/products/seiko-japan-82/seiko-automatic-brightz-chronograph-sdgz005-limited-edition-4569.html?currency=USD

Doc, you killed a dead wallet with this site...

I was thinking that it was time to buy a watch present for my lady, after she dropped by mistake her brand new one in the ocean in Portugal 2 years ago (in front of me, it was a present... From me... :bangin:  :bangin:  ) 

Got this one - eco drive, sapphire cristal - from that site (from 294 dropped to 141€): 

FB1200-51A_L.jpg

and now I'm trying harder and harder to avoid getting these ones (note: all with gen ETA and for less than 500US$!!!):

xjh76552955.gif 428712d1304039979-suggestions-watch-~500 img58507124.jpg

Edited by GenTLe