When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! What do you think about this 5508 case set?

ThePunisherXIX

Hello guys,

These days, a friend offered me a full case set for Sub 5508.

Unfortunately he does not know origin of the case.

The case is completed whit complete bezel assembly, insert, t16 crystal, crown and caseback.
Is also included the dial also, but i think i would replace whit one from MQ or maybe a 2 lines from Ingod44 for save a little cash.

2hp80ed.jpg

2hojpmq.jpg

2rrw0wg.jpg

96auy9.jpg

15x32j4.jpg

104ex00.jpg

j8mf06.jpg

2mxesub.jpg

16huusg.jpg

2ept6v9.jpg

19rp8h.jpg

2nao8at.jpg

2yowll5.jpg

2cz3lli.jpg

What do you think of the case?

Consider he asking for the full case set whit dial it's not been discussed whit friend but his starting price it's would be in a 1000,00 euro range,

i think i need a good advice from you guys  before i pull the trigger!

Thank you to all :)

Edited by ThePunisherXIX

I don't see the retaining ring anywhere, you need that to have a properly working bezel. The set looks great, it needs a gen crown imo. The dial is not nice so ndt would be a better bet. Go for it!

Just so you know, the engravings are not great but the curve of the case is spot on and the caseback is correct (hard to get right), the bezel is very nice too it just needs a gen mk3 insert eventually to get it looking perfect!

• Like 1

Thank you for your reply cc33!

So excluding the insert, and rep crown the case it's good :-)

I concording to you about the caseback, when i have seen this caseback i have thinking about this beautiful case because in the other case set i have seen the caseback it's incorrect!

Thank you for advice about retaining ring, i just ask for sure and seller told me it's not pictured but is included as well :)

The crown and the dial it's the first things i planned to change! Genuine 24-600 crown it's on the way :)

I just re-seen the MQ dial on his website, and is the service version, so the NDT it's the one to go!

The ingod44 one it's not quite a good enough?

For the bezel insert i will going in the future to replace whit a mk3,

Actually probably i'm going on a NDT one or MQ for the moment, it's corret the one whit red triangle at 12? i like a lot!

And i need to found a Yuki 7206, the MQ one it's not the same quality as the yuki one i have read, it's correct?

Edited by ThePunisherXIX

Stick with ndt, or mq for the dial. Insert is up to you but the red triangle is correct even though it's not a perfect copy. You can wear it on a NATO or yes try to find the better thinner yuki band. Go for it, 5508's are beautiful but most avoid because the cases are too thick, they don't have the right curves or casebacks.. You got very lucky with this one.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your help cc33!

You are probrably right, and i hope the 27.8mm dial fit good, because now i compared the NDT to Ingod44 and i much prefer the NDT.

I also noticed that there is a 15% discount on the purchase of a dial rolex by NDT so i keep finger crossed for dial 27,8mm size and waiting case set!

When arrive i update the thread! :)

I love it.  Another great build is about to begin.  :)  I am in hog heaven with all of the recent activity regarding vintage small crowns and big crowns.  

Thanks for posting about this and keeping us updated with your progress.  In my amateur opinion, I think this forum definitely has the most concentrated assortment of experts and the highest number of builds going simultaneously.  This place is like the Mecca for vintage small and big crowns.  :)

I love it.  Another great build is about to begin.   :)  I am in hog heaven with all of the recent activity regarding vintage small crowns and big crowns.  

Thanks for posting about this and keeping us updated with your progress.  In my amateur opinion, I think this forum definitely has the most concentrated assortment of experts and the highest number of builds going simultaneously.  This place is like the Mecca for vintage small and big crowns.   :)

Thank you, will keep the post updated :-)

I think too the Rolex area it's the best online :-)

That case profile looks great! Here's one for comparison:

7esaty4a.jpg

This is amazing!!! :)

I also think the case looks pretty good- lugs are slightly thinner than my NDT 5508 case. Appears to have a nicer bevel to the lugs which could probably stand to be aged some! We're talking about a 56 year old watch.

I have the NDT dial in my build, but don't remember what diameter it was- it's been 6 years since I built it.

I put a Rolex 1520 movement in mine- a 1530 would be correct, but they're basically the same except for the beat rate- 18,000 vs 19,800.

P1000252-1.jpg

I've been using the WSO 5508 insert which is ok- all acrylic pearl. 

Yours build it's a really beauty!

I want aging the case to give more vintage look,

Probably next week i receive the case set and will going to check if NDT dial work, order the dial and send out case for aging working!

And i just found a really good movement from a friend, a 1530 butterfly, but need to wait, seller come back from summer holiday late september, so need to wait a little!

With a gen or good aftermarket dial, handset, movement & crown, a nice aftermarket case like this 1 should pass the test.

Thank You Freddy :)

I have seen gen dial for sale, i have found one at 3900 euro, and a couple of service but the price still remain too much high for my budget!

So i will going on a good aftermarket!

MQ have only service vesion, NDT actually it's the favourite.

I have seen a Phong dial but the pic's dont help me to view it good!

Finally i have the case set in my hands and i will post some pic's of what i received!

68v97a.jpg

11u9h77.jpg

2j500wp.jpg

110vf42.jpg

Retaining ring

707uj5.jpg

nfmp2b.jpg

2ahgl0h.jpg

2i6l0nq.jpg

2cr14pf.jpg

vpc17q.jpg

8y8gae.jpg

200bmnk.jpg

2agrgg7.jpg

hwz4hd.jpg

24b0y87.jpg

29kw6z7.jpg

2i6p5r7.jpg

2mwx9bl.jpg

fjhrav.jpg

2en5l4k.jpg

The case set it's amazing, the quality it's really really good, the profile it's unbeliveable, look at how good it's the thin profile and the theeth of bezel and correct caseback are very good!

I dont like too much the dial and the insert so if i found a genuine insert at good price i will go whit gen, or fit a yuki ones whit some aging work (need to do this on the case and on the bezel also)!

o94ls9.jpg

I have managed to view if the NDTrading dial feet, and fortunally will fit perfect :-)

The genuine 1530 need to wait because i grab a butterfly one's from a friend but he told me come back from the holiday, whit the service and all the other waiting time, i dont think i have it in my hand before 3 months!

For the moment (i'm located in EU so i need to wait a little bit for NDT dial) i would manage to make some work of aging on the dial (first try so perfect trial dial, no need this one) and try to mount whit an eta 2846, the only problem now is movement ring to hold the eta movement!

I also managed to found a good matching lume vintage handset for ETA so i hope i found the movement holder and mount on 2846 first and swap later in 1530 butterfly!

I try to mount the bezel but it's not easy, anybody have info about mount a bezel like this?

Thanks to ALL :-)

That looks amazing! Very nice.

To install the bezel catch some of the spring segments under the retaining ring then push down the opposite side of the bezel, while you turn it. It should be easy to turn when installed, if it's very tight then all the spring segments didn't click down over the retaining ring. Press and turn some more.

I don't know if the 2846 will fit where the 1530 should be. The stem heights are different. Will you cut your dial feet or get the right dial for your movement? Cutting feet can make the dial work on the movement but then it might add thickness from the glue or dial dots. That will change the stem height.

It will take a lot of trial and error to get it just right but it will be worth it. :tu:

This case is amazing!! Lovely and slim! Don't waste your time putting an eta in it. If you have the funds drop a gen cal inside!! Will be amazing

Life's a [censored], then you marry one!

Yes, i think it's the best way to go and save a lot of works, ETA not fitting correctly and need also a retaining ring so i think i will wait a couple of months for my 1530 butterfly!

The dial it's a really big problem now,

NDT not reply at my mail :-(

Ingod44 not it's my favourite and not reply!

MQ have only service version, i have asked for other version but still not responding!

Yuki not have any more, and his version it's not to much gen like.

Genuine will be too much rare and expansive so i need to found another 5508 good aftermarket dial options!

This is how many vintage builds go, first you find your dial, then you find everything else. 

Patience.... with a case this nice, take the time to do it right.