When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best 1016 dial option

Chuck P

I have found a used, but excellent, setup locally that comes with everything including a bunch of different colored "inks".  I'm very tempted, just gotta figure out where I would put it and what time I would need to take away from other issues in order to learn how to do it!

I have (1) Whoopy 1016 dial available for sale. I bought two for a project and ended up only using one. One of the feet came loose, but I still have the foot, and it should be easy to epoxy back on to the dial or solder if you are brave.

This may sound like damning with faint praise, but that's pretty nice for a Yuki!  Once you take price into consideration, I'd move it ahead of NDT in my official 1016 Dial Ranking!  Now you're going to have to redo those hands to match!  

Re: the crown/tube situation, automatico's pinned thread is the best meditation on the tricky topic of 6mm crowns.  My suggestion is to get a 5.3mm case tube from Clark Watch Parts and a newer-type gen 6mm crown (i.e. for a 16000-series Datejust or later).  I don't know of any good aftermarket 6mm crowns but, boy, are there a lot of bad ones on eBay.

I ended up going with the Yuki dial as well. Should be here in 10 days or so. Pics they sent prior to shipping looked good. This is suppose to be a moderate budget build so it seemed like a reasonable choice. Gen crystal and crown and eta 2783. Need to sort out end links as I am trying to use the rep rivet bracelet that came with my 1675 donor watch. Spent much of the last week reading threads on this build. I am going to try to do some case shaping myself and may reach out to some of you for guidance.....

This may sound like damning with faint praise, but that's pretty nice for a Yuki! Once you take price into consideration, I'd move it ahead of NDT in my official 1016 Dial Ranking! Now you're going to have to redo those hands to match!

Re: the crown/tube situation, automatico's pinned thread is the best meditation on the tricky topic of 6mm crowns. My suggestion is to get a 5.3mm case tube from Clark Watch Parts and a newer-type gen 6mm crown (i.e. for a 16000-series Datejust or later). I don't know of any good aftermarket 6mm crowns but, boy, are there a lot of bad ones on eBay.

I am guessing I wouldn't be lucky enough for the Clark's tube to fit the case without a re-tap?

I am guessing I wouldn't be lucky enough for the Clark's tube to fit the case without a re-tap?

Please ignore my recommendation for a Clark tube.  I just checked the store and the only one they carry is a 24-6020-alike, which is a 6mm tube and will need a re-tap.  I'm hoping someone can recommend a 5.3mm alternative.

• 2 weeks later...