When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building the closer-I-can-get 007 Big Crown

djulink

There are several ways... but I use something like this:

HDG-1VSR.jpg

Every does it differently, but I go through various grits from 1500 to 0.5micron lapping discs. One can do it with a dremel I suppose. dissassemble the bezel and go slow with whatever technique you decide to use. Its very easy to round off the corners when polishing.. the edges should be as sharp/crisp as possible. I suggest you practice with a couple of cheap sacrificial cases first.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi DVNE,

I did not take time to respond before (just thought I did...) but many thanks for info; I think that will be my next move forward.

Hi Gents,

I'm in different problematics at the moment: crow, crystal and "aging" process.

Speaking of the last, I've been looking for a simple method to "age" the hands, essentially to match the dial indexes.
After having read the "cigarette modding" thread from Fast Freddy, I thought that I could give it a try. Here's the result:

post-66581-0-46471900-1424687079_thumb.j

I was (happily) surprised with the result - you can compare with above shots, but what do you think ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Sad news...

Yesterday, as I was working on the dial alignement within the case, a dial foot screw got loosed; both dial feet broke; and when I was trying to take it apart, the stem axis broke within the movement...

So here I'm now, with - just - a case... quite discouraged...

My condolences.

Last night I managed to cross thread a noobmariner caseback into the case- ugh! Afraid I ruined that case and caseback.

Guess you need to order another dial and dg2813.. Hopefully it's only a $70 screw-up

Here's a dg2813

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DG2813-Asian-2813-automatic-movement-GOLD-NEW-/321565853208?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aded18618

Txs Gents for your kind words, 

She rest now after a short but thrilling life (full of joy and learnings for me)...

Now, out of sorrow, let's go back to 007 watch building : "Getting the Big Crown" ;-)

I should be needing : 

- a new movement : thanks alligoat for 2813 ref. I'm thinking maybe "upgrading" ; "what other movement would fit in a 5508 tiger-concept case ?", I'm wondering

- a Big Crown/Stem fitted for that movement : I've been reading few posts here and there about Athaya's Big Crown, and it would seems a good way to go but i'm lacking knowledge here... would that crown screw-in fit the Tiger-Concept case ?

- "the" dial : keeping the Tiger case puts me in the same dilemma I've been in before ; getting a 28mm dial that would fit (there's a 4 lines Yuki) or sanding a 29mm one... again...

I'm also considering the Silix road...

That's a l

Don't forget to ask Adrian for a stem adapter when you order the crown and tube.  You need it for these stems.  He will include it with the crown for a couple of bucks.

Then go over to Homage Forum and look at Kime's 6200 build log thread.  He gives detailed step by step instructions with pics on how to measure and cut your stem using Athaya's stem adapter and the crown/tube set. There isn't much room for error, so his instructions will help you get it right the first time.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend I tried the Rafflestime dial in my Tiger-Concept 7928.

Here's the watch before the dial swap

photo_zps98ab1908.jpg

So I got the 29mm 3-6-9 dial from Ken- wasn't all that excited about it- too green, IMO. Text is a funky yellow green, lume is yellow. I used a drill and file to take the dial down to 28mm. Lost a little paint on the outside of the minute track, but it's hardly noticeable. The minute track sits right at the edge of the rehaut. After mangeling the seconds hand and straightening it back as best I could, I got the watch back together.

photo%204_zpsehoaj0e9.jpg

I could use a little color matching on the hands and aging of the dial, but for now I'm just wearing it. Put it on a 93150 rep bracelet today- ready to go out and sweat!

The new model V3 7928 has no lugholes, a funky pearl with a small metal surround, loose bezel and a plain unmarked crown, but for $140 with the new dial it's a fun beater. The dg2813 is holding up well, the crown guards are good and it has the domed plastic crystal. 

Hi Gents,

Nice work alligoat, It seems to fit right; how about hands aging process ?

I had a little chat with William from Tiger-Concept: a 2824-2/2836 should fit in the 5508 case and would de facto accept the Yuki 4 lines dial - I'm maybe interested in. The Crow should fit also the stem that come with it.

Still thinking though...

To age the hands, I typically use some yellow acrylic paint and try to match the color of the lume on the dial.

I would like to use a Yuki dial, but they're all too small as far as I can tell. The 6538 dial is 27mm and that will fall thru the rehaut on the Tiger 7928 case.

If a dg2813 fits in a case, a 2836-2 will fit also- they're pretty close sizewise.

• 2 weeks later...