When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broken, new AP replica.

Holman

I've got a AP replica that stopps. 

I turn it up / shake it up, yet it stopps after a few seconds. 

The small wheel inside, thats going back and forth stopps after a few seconds, cuasing the watch to die. 

Any easyfix for this problem? It worked at arrival, was putted in a box for a couple of days, and now it's like this. The watch haven't even been used yet. 

Edit: Sometimes it's still no matter how much i turn the crown/shake it. 

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2VgOjh8vGw&list=UUTfgXFJAx_I0XUaEihE-RBQ

qzTgiZyK.jpg

Thanks!

With kind regards, Jonathan.

Edited by Holman

Im not a watch smith, but contact your TD to get a replacement...

The problem is tho, that I ordered a watch just like this from the same seller a few weeks ago, had a similar problem, sent it back with tracking and the seller "never recived it". So I don't dare to buy anything else from him / return. 

I bought this watch during the same day I sent the old one back in hope of him refounding me for the old one at arrival becasue I was in a big need of the watch. 

Sad that both were broken. 

The first watch I bought (same model), had the same problem, but was working for a few minutes instead of seconds. Apart from that, same problem. 

If you keep having a simialr issue with the TD might you want to try a different TD?

Sending back watches is as most of us know something of a minefield!

Most experienced buyers believe they will have to have the movement serviced to ensure smooth running and depending where you are the costs are usually reasonable to ensure you've got a good looking and working watch.

AJ

What movement is this? like Steel said, that's pretty rough handling. But having said that, if it won't run with a little winding, swirling it to make the rotor turn, then it probably has something wrong that isn't going to be fixed unless it gets a service. May be cheaper in the long run to have it serviced or replace the movement if it's bad. A good movement, well serviced will last  long time, keep accurate time and be dependable. I pretty much factor in a service for every watch that I buy with the intention of keeping.

I can feel your frustration. I have had two in the past few months arrive DOA, and these were from M2M sales and the watches were running when they were shipped. I'm not sure that some of the postal workers use these packages to play football or baseball in the sorting center!! Most good movement can take a lot of abuse, but they aren't indestructible.

Looks like a 2813. Sadly, this happens. Had one die on me recently. I bought a watch for a friend and it died in like a week. His first rep too.

I felt bad but did do a movement swap for him. TDs will want you to send it back or live with it. I didn't wanna risk losing the watch in to a black hole so I just coughed up the extra $30 bucks to get a replacement.

It was doing the exact same thing as yours. It would run for a few seconds and just stop.

With cheap movements like that, it's just easier to swap.

Send it to a watchsmith for a new movement. Save yourself the headache.

Okey guys, this is SOOO SICK.

I opened the back of the watch, turned it up just a little, and it's been on for hours without any stops. 

I then putted the back, back on, and guess what, it STOPS!

I then remove the back again, and it's working. That's wiered... 

Edit: Currently uploading a video of it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyC91hSFbLQ&list=UUTfgXFJAx_I0XUaEihE-RBQ

Edited by Holman

Yep, tighten the mounting plate screws that hold the mech in the case to make sure it inserted as far as possible. Also check the big screw holding the spinning weight in is tight

Then check you have the o ring fitted

Looks like back is touching the weight and stopping it spinning, does it run if you wind it. If so it's the spinner that's stuck. If winding doesn't work then the back is squeezing or distorting something in the mechanism

I thought the same about the o ring. I'll try to replace it with a little fatter one to build some space. Hopefully just enought to keep it going. It's been laying still with the back off since I posted the video, and it's still ticking. Been quite some hours and that's a relief. 

Edited by Holman

In the video, the rotor is spinning freely, so no pressure there. Possibly the edge of the case is pressing down on something. Check the movement ring and make sure the movement is down and tight, one thing I Would try,put the Caseback back on, tighten it down, the movement stops. Try loosening each screw one turn, and watch the movement. You may find that it's binding in one place, and when you let off the pressure there, the movement will start. If loosening them a bit allows the movement to start, then probably a thicker gasket will do the trick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk