When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anybody purchase one of these "Genuine" cases? How art they?

whoopy12

Back before gold prices went crazy there were a lot of excellent gold replacement cases from Italy floating around and I had an 18k solid gold 'Daytona' with oyster bracelet in 1999 with a V750 in it. I traded it even for a nib 16233 DJ. The 'Daytona' was heavy and very well made. Also had a few 18k Italy DJ cases that were made for genuine movements/dials and still have one 18k DJ case that is slightly out of spec...the dial window is too big and there are no movement mounting stands inside the case. It was made for an Eta 2836 with oversize diamond dial. The case is very well finished and weighs 29 grams.

As for Italy made steel replacement rolex cases, I have not seen one yet (that I know of).

The cases on eBay look pretty good and no doubt would fool 99% of the people who buy a watch made with one of these cases (including me). I would be willing to bet that after a few years of wear, these cases will pass for genuine with little problem. They might go through rolex service too since it is probably mostly green horns working there.

All something needs to become genuine is for a few rolexperts to declare it to be genuine.

Remember the rolex trader's motto:

If it will pass for genuine...it becomes genuine.   :pimp:

For me the case construction is pretty decent but the engraving is a total giveaway. 8 in 1680 is horrible, all Es have the same issue i.e all three lines have the same lengh and you can see in the same line numbers engraved exactly the same where on gen you'll never find 2 digits written the same way in a reference number or a serial number.

Tapatalked