When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian 6497 Accuracy?

pcardoza

Hi All,

Just received a gorgeous U-Boat U-42 from Toro.   Wound it up fully and put it on.   It's gaining 6 minutes per hour!   
Is this typical of a 6497 when fully wound, or does it need attention?    I'm guessing it needs to be looked at, but this is my first watch with this movement, so I figured it's worth asking first..........

Thanks!

post-62145-0-68827800-1412095792_thumb.j

to see if the the coils are caught together or sticking,,,this makes the balance only do a short trip rather than the full side to side swing...and the short trip results in super fast times...it probably just had a hard hit on the way there...its is something that is visually detectable...once you fix it you should see the balance slow down..

possibly magnetized. 

it happens quite easily these days with all these laptops, tablets..etc

if it keeps gaining big chunks of time and then stops, its magnetized for sure.

easy way to test is to stick a compass up to it. 

if its magnetized, it need to be degaussed. 

watch repair places can do this or you can buy a degausser fairly cheap on ebay.

theyre good to have around to degauss screwdrivers and tweezers

Well, I looked at the back of this monster and started to get nervous about opening it. Two different kinds of screws.

So I did the next best thing. Rapped it in the palm of my hand a couple of times. Nothing overly hard but good firm raps.

Voila! It is now keeping perfect time. I'm guessing it sat around unused for a good line time and needed a kick start!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was thinking it would be much worse than it was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting "air-fix" on the balance spring. Thanks, might come in handy somewhere in the future and doesn´t cost a thing:)

Seems huge but interesting that U-42, the more so with a 6497 in it. Is this superlumed? Wear it well.

There is no lume at all on the Blue Number version.   That's the only downside of this color combo.   My favorite look during the day, but at night I might as well swap to another watch....

interesting "air-fix" on the balance spring. Thanks, might come in handy somewhere in the future and doesn´t cost a thing:)

Seems huge but interesting that U-42, the more so with a 6497 in it. Is this superlumed? Wear it well.