When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex in movies...

dbane883

I have often wondered if Rolexes worn in movies, etc., are gens or reps.  Many of the characters played require a Rolex to make the role more believable.  For instance, Tony from the Sopranos.  He always has a 18kt Presidential.  Modern Famaly's Ed O'Neal gfoes from a Submariner to Daytona to Panerai.  I cannot imagine any star would want to wear their personal watch on set.  Wouldn't it be an ethical concern (or legal) if these were in fact reps?

I have often wondered if Rolexes worn in movies, etc., are gens or reps.  Many of the characters played require a Rolex to make the role more believable.  For instance, Tony from the Sopranos.  He always has a 18kt Presidential.  Modern Famaly's Ed O'Neal gfoes from a Submariner to Daytona to Panerai.  I cannot imagine any star would want to wear their personal watch on set.  Wouldn't it be an ethical concern (or legal) if these were in fact reps?

Sofia vergara is supposedly a huge rolex freak.

She's also been known to wear reps too.

I think a lot of actors in TV and movies wear their personal watches or their agent gets one for them from the company.

Im sure panerai would be more than happy to give ed oneil a watch to wear when they spend half the episode telling about it. "Is it the panerai? With the beautiful dial...?" Yea. I'm sure PAMs came flying in the mail for that episode. Much like the episode where it was the entire episodes mission to get Phil the new iPad.

It's all product placement.

I would be shocked if they were reps. Product placement in my view. Gens supplied by manufacturers just for the filming. IMHO

Not always.  Off the top of my head, I can think of two movies that prominently featured obvious reps: Kill Bill (Rolex Daytona) and Drive (Patek Philippe Fantasy). 

Recently i have seen some surprising watches either gen or rep in movies.

For instance Ben Affleck wears a DeepSea in Argo where the story stands in the 70's...

In Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, there is a focus on the pilot watch and you have a full screen fake Patek perpetual calendar chronograph appearance.

As Lhooq said the fake Daytona in Kill Bill is not even hiding this particularity. Counters are days and months instead of regular hours and minute counters...

Now talking about Rolex in movies, have a look at any Robert Redford or Clint Eastwood performances and you'll have a Rolex on their writs (most of the time DJ for Clint and GMT for Redford)

Tapatalked

ebay seller

vip auctions

sells off props used in tv shows and movies and they often sell obvious replicas used in productions

most recently they sold off some pateks and some APs used on californication, they were obvious chinese fakes and the description said they could not guarantee authenticity

how they are allowed to sell prop replicas on ebay is beyond me, even if it is memorabilia

heres the listing, sold for over $600

comes with a studio CoA,

and they even misspelled audemars on the rotor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CALIFORNICATION-MARCY-RUNKLE-PAMELA-ADLON-SCREEN-WORN-WATCH-BRACELETS-RING-501-/310979037618?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4867cb89b2

Recently i have seen some surprising watches either gen or rep in movies.

For instance Ben Affleck wears a DeepSea in Argo where the story stands in the 70's...

In Non-Stop with Liam Neeson, there is a focus on the pilot watch and you have a full screen fake Patek perpetual calendar chronograph appearance.

As Lhooq said the fake Daytona in Kill Bill is not even hiding this particularity. Counters are days and months instead of regular hours and minute counters...

Now talking about Rolex in movies, have a look at any Robert Redford or Clint Eastwood performances and you'll have a Rolex on their writs (most of the time DJ for Clint and GMT for Redford)

Tapatalked

Ben Affleck also wears a Rolex GMT master 2 night/day in Gone Girl(so my wife tells me)

Nick Cage wears a Submariner in National Treasure and shows it all through the movie and even names it when he is changing cloths in the shop half way through

In Ray Donovan, the title character gives his son an IWC Portuguese that's an obvious rep. There's a close-up of the watch when he hands the watch to the boy, you can see the chronograph hand ticking, while the small seconds hand is stationary.

Also Ray gives his away a yellow gold Daytona as a bribe in another episode. That one was an obvious rep.

http://watchesinmovies.info/?s=ray+donovan

Edited by japanic

If you go over to Rolex Forums there are threads over there discussing this. A Hollywood costume/stage prop guy commented on this one and said most of the time they use reps. Not even good ones. Someone just goes down the street and buys whatever they can. They just don't have the budgets to deal with product placement issues and these are just props - usually immaterial to the story. That said, some actors do indeed wear their own personal watches. Robert Redford wore his own sub in many of his movies. Jason Bateman wears his own in his films. Stallone wears his own Pams and is a huge fan of the brand.

Those and others are the exception, though. Most of the time all this stuff is just props.