When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My noob question again jeez

Ezio

Since i searched and cant find a answer i ask you smart boys here

One of my gens say 50 atm is that safe for swimming ?? Some say no some say yes

So now im not sure haha

Thanks

Ezio

I do not go in water with anything rated under 20 ATMs :snorkel:  (200 meter/660ft ) professional grade divers keep in mind the test is done in a static environment. Yes the pool may be only 9 ft deep but pressure when you dive or swiming or the ocean get hit with wave bam right on the watch side .  I must have at least 10 Gens rated 200 or above so why take chances. My policy is reps do not go in the water period, pool, ocean or shower (nor should any watch should go in there :nono: ) but that is just me. :partytime:

Ezio - sorry to hear. Same goes for gens as reps, until it's been tested shouldn't get it wet. The rubber gaskets need to be lubed/replaced regularly if your getting them wet. Sometimes gens will sit in the AD's case for quite some time before being sold. Just because we pay thousands of dollars for a Gen doesn't mean that we should forget that mother nature wrecks havoc on seals/gaskets.

If it is just a little fogging inside the case open it as much as you can and put it in a jar of rice to get as much moisture out of it then send it off for a service, should be OK after that.

As Mob said the biggest pressure increase is when You hit the water or get hit - pressure increases instantly. When jumping into the pool or slapping the water hard, You may get over 10 ATM. Multiple jumps increase the pressure build up, which is highest direct from the surface down to 3 and 10 meters.

I have a lot of fun using divers reps that passed the 30m test for light swimming without any issue. These are $300 watches,, so even if something happens it´s much cheaper than to repair a gen.

Great points guys The watch had Water inside almost Like a fish tank just needed The goldfish haha took The caseback off and saw there wasnt Any gasket In it great for a 1k gen so QC on gens isnt Always great either

Good point JP never thought about gens as that

And no The watch i tested yesterday hold up great and that is a rep funny to Think about

1k gen no gasket

250us rep waterproof haha

But what Can i do since it didnt have a gasket never had it open and its only 9 months old shouldnt they replace /repair it ??

Great points guys The watch had Water inside almost Like a fish tank just needed The goldfish haha took The caseback off and saw there wasnt Any gasket In it great for a 1k gen so QC on gens isnt Always great either

And no The watch i tested yesterday hold up great and that is a rep funny to Think about

1k gen no gasket

But what Can i do since it didnt have a gasket never had it open and its only 9 months old shouldnt they replace /repair it ??

Go figure! A Gen with no gasket! Sorry to hear that pal.

I made a little 3" PVC tube with a hose bib on it and a pressure gauge. My house pressure is always between 60 and 70 pounds and I just put the  empty case in and pressurize it to the 4 to 5 atm and let it sit for 15 minutes. Never had one fail on me that passed that test for swimming, boating skin diving (but not Scuba).

It's a simple and easy to make home tester.

I made a little 3" PVC tube with a hose bib on it and a pressure gauge. My house pressure is always between 60 and 70 pounds and I just put the  empty case in and pressurize it to the 4 to 5 atm and let it sit for 15 minutes. Never had one fail on me that passed that test for swimming, boating skin diving (but not Scuba).

It's a simple and easy to make home tester.

Would love to see how you did that :)

DSCN4985.jpg

You could do it simpler but I also put in a Schrader valve so I can use a compressor or even a bicycle pump to increase the pressure, although I usually figure if it can stand my household pressure for 15 to 30 minutes, I'm not going to worry about it in the pool or beach.

I'm a firm believer that wet testing it much more accurate than those dry testers, although it does require taking the movement out of the case.

Also, if you know what your house pressure is you don't even need the pressure gauge. It would be very simple to make one with nothing more than a hose bib and a piece of pipe

When you fill up the pipe with water and pressurize it, it's amazing how fast the pressure goes down if there's even a small leak.

1k gen no gasket

Go for the warranty! But don't tell you have opened it.

So let me get that right here you fill it with water put your watch in close pump up the pressure and just look if it goes down ??

I need to try that haha :D

Or, take it out in 15 minutes and see if any water is inside the case. 

If you hook up a hose and open the hose bib, the pressure immediately goes up to about 60 or 70 pounds (roughly 4 to almost 5 atm) Then close the hose bib and let it sit. It will then hold pressure. If there's any large leak it will show immediately on the pressure gauge. If not you're probably good to go.

Make sure you take the insides and put them outside before you test it though. :D

Edited by kbh

All good. Thanks guys. I like it here and sometimes what I think is funny might not be to others. Wish I would have used some of that talent back then on other more beneficial activities:).

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.