When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Building a 16800 Late Transitional Franken - Would appreciate some guidance

jigelow

I'm becoming intamately familiar with this piece. I've also learned that I have to work on my patience. I'm used to working around the house and muscling things together. Need to work on my finesse. Here it is with a quick test fit:

KfKBnVg.jpg

It's the beauty and pain of this hobby. The end result if you keep working at it is a watch that is uniquely yours and does exactly as you want. 

E

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a ST case. I swapped it out yesterday, and something botched in the keyless when I was putting the stem back in. I must not have been completely straight. So last night, I start to tear it down and it completely stops. Frustrated, I just tore down the whole movement and cleaned it up. Got it all back together today and seems to be running fine. While I had it apart, I took the opportunity to darken the hands a bit to try and match the indices. Thanks to Nanuq for the tips.

It has the TC bezel on right now, as I'm waiting for the ST assembly that misiekped did me a solid and ordered for me. As has been stated before, the TC bezel is too loose on the ST retainer and tends to slip on the bezel spring. Its wearable, but will be much better when I get the right one.

aP7iPRv.jpg

HEkjwht.jpg

pHgcAR9.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful build.

Sent from my droptop using telepathy.

Thanks! Its been a lot of ups and downs. My hope when I started was documenting this may help others that want to build their own franken in the future. For me, it was bothering misiekped, Ephry, and others, while finding bits and pieces of info here and on other boards. In the process, I feel I found my home here. Far more helpful and simply awesome people willing to help here. There also seems to be some of the most knowledgeable people I've found in the hobby posting here.

• Like 1

With that case this build is going to be amazing! 

The y3135 really likes the stem at date set position for inserting and extracting. 

Grrrr, I h@te you LOL.

Yours is finished, mine still work in progress. Still need a movement, hands and crown.

But it will be worth it in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Here is a teaser pic.

FC3ECD2B-3C07-4FCF-823E-52B732228C1A_zps