When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has anyone removed the link that connects to the SEL from the SEL on a 93250 bracelet?

phwtan

Nice topic, wanted to share my experience since quite some time.

Yes, the best and safest way to do is using that tool showed by dbane. It is a picture from the site of Michael Young (famous bracelet restorer from HK).

But, this tool is most probably custom made, to my knowledge you can not buy this. If yes, expect unrealistic prices.

I needed this desperately some time ago but asked myself to which essential parts can this be limited and redone in an affordable budget friendly way?

Here is the result:

post-47307-0-18884800-1418664023_thumb.j

This is a pair of cheap expanding pliers. It is really important to file down a very thin tip, split upside down "T" type (I have drawn a bit into the image to show how it should be).

Not too thin as the tips would bend. The tiny tips are there to transfer the force from the expanding pliers in the inner walls of the bracelet link. One has to do this very carefully, as small unwanted marks are inevitable, though can be polished/filed down carefully later before assembly.

The forces to open the link were surprisingly high. These links are hold by three pins, that go well deep into the side parts of the links.

f1usvuw.pnglink2.jpg

Picture from WUS

Hope JMB gets caught up one day, so we can fund a "Oyster Reverse Vice" project to do this type of tool :D

Edited by blue.

How about:

Take two medium size Vise Grip pliers and taper one jaw on each one on a grinder to more or less match the bottom curve of an oyster link.

Drill and tap one hole each on the tops of the jaws of a bench vise...about 8mm or 5/16US.

Drill one mounting hole in the most suitable jaw on each Vise Grip.

Mount the Vise Grips to the vise jaws with bolts.

Line the Vise Grip jaws with soft copper or brass.

Clamp the link with the Vise Grips and unscrew the vise jaws to pull it apart.

Most bench vises are made of nodular iron and it is fairly easy to drill and tap. The Vise Grip jaws might be a little harder but it can be done. I eyeballed my vises and Vise Grips and it looked like it would not be too hard to do.