When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just ordered and I can't flipping wait!

cc33

How soon will the lighting accessory be available to purchase?

We are finishing the first prototypes, which we plan to launch in Basel this year.  Depending on production schedules, I expect that they will be available for purchase either at that time or shortly afterwards...

Alberto? Are you Italian too? (I'm from Varese) :)

Eh si!  Romano de Roma...  ;)

• Like 1

That was fast, I got the loupe in the mail yesterday! I'll do an in depth review soon enough but wanted to give a quick first overall impression. It's really something else, I'm going to stick to optics for now, looking through for the first time is like taking a dslr, removing the lens, flipping it around (the lens not the camera body) and attaching an eye piece to it. It's clear from edge to edge and gives you an amazing 6x view of what you're looking at. Compared to a normal loupe, there is no sweet spot, the entire field of view is undistorted and full of colour. It could honestly do with some greater magnification though, as an example a watch dial will fill the entire field of view but that's all, I can't pinpoint a spot on the dial in which to study like I can with a normal loupe which means that it has an altogether different purpose, it compliments a good loupe but doesn't replace it. On the other hand, for watch or macro pics of any kind, it's brilliant! It can't directly compete with the olloclip as far as magnification, but that doesn't matter, you can zoom the iphone itself and it doesn't lose much resolution. The resulting pics are clear from edge to edge, the iPhone doesn't struggle to focus like with the olloclip so you can snap away and not wait for the camera to try to lock focus. Trust me that's big, it's an annoying thing to deal with using the olloclip. It's night and day. The loupe systems iphone mount is really well made, it fits like a glove and has a grippy texture. I'm happy to have a complimentary loupe for everyday personal use but way more happy that it works so well for iphone macro photography. Here's a few quick snaps from this morning, the sun has been hiding though so I can't take perfect sunny macros yet :(

post-38788-0-41522400-1420732564_thumb.j

post-38788-0-74704500-1420732580_thumb.j

post-38788-0-54760600-1420732598_thumb.j

Will do a comparo later today..

I agree that a 10x and eventually a 15x will be necessary for the loupe part of it and it can't hurt when doing macro photography, but I have to say that I'm happy with the current magnification for photography. The big deal for me is that each shot is good, clear and useable. I have to take 30 pics with my olloclip just to find the one shot that looks good. Annnnd no cropping required

I did a mini comp just now, I wanted to show you guys the difference but I can't really get amazing shots to compare until the sun decides to come out to play. Still these are ok and show some differences. I tried to get the same shots with both lenses, but I used the 10x olloclip not the 15x. For the loupe system (6x) I zoomed my iPhone in so that it matched the size of the other at 10x. I know that for most people the results have to justify the price (450$ for the loupe alone), and I'm not 100% sure that they do yet. I looked at the pics from each and saw the differences but I'm wondering if those differences are big enough for someone to want to pay 9x the price of an olloclip (for me they are...) I will take some nice sunny shots when I can and do one last comparison because in full light the differences may be greater.

I forgot to mention the olloclip pics are all on the left

And they are all unedited

post-38788-0-64401300-1420748375_thumb.j

post-38788-0-61119200-1420748426_thumb.j

post-38788-0-26641000-1420750236_thumb.j

Excellent!..  are you sure you didnt get the last one mixed up?

but to be fair, the depth of field with the olloclips 10x give it a more pronounced boekh compared to the Loupe systems 6x.  But given that you wouldve had to zoom in more with the loupe system to get the same field of view and lose some resolution, the Loupe System is the clear winner IMO.

No it's right, I shouldn't have used that set, but I was showing that in the focus zones they are almost the same, I couldn't find 2 shots that matched exactly..

This one shows better, the olloclip loses focus at the edges, so the rotor mount and rotor edges are more clearly in focus with the loupe system. I agree that it wins, it really just comes down to weather or not it's worth the extra 400$ over an olloclip

It's like the olloclip is set at an aperture of 2.8 and the loupe system is set at 11+ but without the loss of light. When I shoot at f11 on my real camera I am giving up light, that's not the case here, the light is very good.

post-38788-0-20456000-1420750905_thumb.j

• Like 2

While I like bokeh for portrait shot, the depth of field on the olloclip is annoying.   The Loupe System seems to allow the iphone to use a smaller aperture I guess.

While $500 is still alot, still a whole lot cheaper than getting a Canon Macro lens/iphone adapter combo:

https://www.vistek.ca/store/CameraLenses/201524/canon-mpe-65mm-f28-15x-macro-lens/Specs.aspx

http://www.vid-atlantic.com/products/encinema-slr-iphone-kit-with-mcam

You may be right, I guess if there's more available light then the phone feels more comfortable using a smaller aperture.

Now that's crazy, I love that the loupe is actually a loope and acts as a macro lens as a bonus. If I was to go that far I would just buy a canon camera body to go with it. My camera has a fixed lens so I wanted a way to get closer without buying a second camera.

This is what I was trying to show yesterday, the olloclip seems to only allow the phone to focus on a certain spot, everything else becomes blurry. The loupe system allows for more to be in focus. This is also what happens when I use it as a loupe, I would say that if the item you need to see up close is 3d then this will really work well. Anyone who works on miniatures or anything that's not flat will be amazed at how things look.

post-38788-0-21750300-1420820065_thumb.j

post-38788-0-91748700-1420820442_thumb.j

post-38788-0-93550500-1420820673_thumb.j