When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Asian ETA problems

Ezio

So guys have a problem with a asian ETA when trying to set The time it slips date and Winding works but not time setting i have read and it seems Like a problem alot ask about but here is The punch Line cant seem to find Info about this if i let it be for some time i Can set The time a fouple of turns and Then it slips wait some time and same Thing again Havent seen that happen before

What to do take The caseback off and release The stem and set it again or is there another option and a diagnosis of The problem

Thanks

Simon

So most probably it's a keyless fu_kup. Are you able to service the movement?

Short answer yes by servicing you mean totally destroy The movement last time i fixed a watch is a long long long long time ago :(

Damn had hoped it was a Quick easy fix

Thanks for The Info mate you beginning to be a little watchsmith been Reading your movement teardown/ service topics :D

They are a little part of what I do :)

You seem talented with movement disassembly and servicing and have good working knowledge about the non chrono movements, going by your posts. Which means, that you're an asset to the community. Are you offering your services professionally? :)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

You seem talented with movement disassembly and servicing and have good working knowledge about the non chrono movements, going by your posts. Which means, that you're an asset to the community. Are you offering your services professionally? :)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk

I'd say not yet, for now: I want to take some professional training before. There are still to many things I don't know how to do, i.e. managing crystals and bezels...

It would probably help if you could show movement photos to confirm or reject the "clone of the clone" possibility, but otherwise it sounds like a keyless issue. What watch is it and do you know which ETA movement it's a clone of? If it's a 2824-2 there is a great tutorial at the other RWG about taking apart and reassembling the keyless works (which I have had to use more times that I care to mention :p )

Here's a fairly easy way to fix the problem without taking the whole watch apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b83l-1DmlQ

son.of.a.[censored]...

I could have used this video about EIGHT FRIGGIN YEARS AGO!!  hahahaa!

But I don't think this is what the OP's problem is about.  Ezio, if I understand what you are saying correctly, you can unscrew the stem, and wind the watch - pull the stem to the second position and set the date both without problems- but when you pull the stem to the third position to set the time, you can advance the time a little bit by a turn or two of the stem but then it "slips" and turning the the stem doesn't advance the time anymore until you either reset the stem to the winding position or wait a minute or two and try again.  Did I get this right? 

If so, I suspect it's a problem with the setting wheel (part #36) and how it engages with the minute wheel (part 39) under the minute train bridge (part 42).  It's a pesky little part that gets engaged by the corrector lever (part 5) of the keyless works.  First of all, it's got a flat side and domed side that's not entirely obvious and thus it's installed in only one way.  If it's put in upside down, you can have problems.  Secondly, if the minute train bridge isn't tight or slightly off, you can have issues with it staying engaged to the minute wheel.  Lastly, with clone movements I've seen quality/fitment issues between the setting wheel and minute wheel - or simply lack of lubrication - that causes these two to argue with each other.  

2836-2.pdf

This is where I would start if I read your problem correctly.

Edited by cjjoyce1

I have had the same problem with 3 movements this month. The small gear that sets on the yoke corrector is to small to start with. Ive had to replace that gear and the minute wheel, which allows you to advance the cannon pinon to set the time forward. I replaced both with swiss gears and had no more problems. Oddly enough on another movement, the small gear on the other side that turns the date corrector wheel had the same problem. The date would not advance. Again, replaced with a swiss gear, problem fixed.