When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Servicing considerations

sebvad

I've got a few reps now, the oldest of which is 4 years old - it's running fine, but i'm wondering if i s should have it serviced.  I know not to take them to a jewelry store or AD - but there's a very small watch repair shoppe in the mall - how do i determine if it's 'ok' to bring my reps in there, and what, exactly, am i asking him to do to it?  simply say 'service it' and he'd know what that means?  main goal is to just ensure it continues to run as it has been....

Ask them if they work on Reps.   Tell them exactly what you have and what the movement is.   See if they are receptive or if it scares them away.   If they don't want to deal with Reps, they won't hesitate to tell you.

Tell them you want a clean & lube.  If it's gaining or losing significant time, ask them to adjust that as well.

I think the service recommendations are for gens,or A7750 chrono's to try keep them from blowing up(a full service on A7750 is about$200+)

If you have a watch that is running fine with a clone movement or A7750 non chrono I would leave it alone, as service will cost close to the same on a working, or non working rep,about $100+.(unless there are major parts issues)

Ask them if they are able to completely disassemble, clean (ask what they use to clean and to rinse: it should be a ultrasonic machine and they should use 2 different rinse fluids), reassemble and oil (ask which oils they use, if Moebius or what else).

Take really care as normally these mall things are mainly there to change batteries, not often they know how to treat mechanical time pieces... I've seen here watches "cured" from similar places that were simply opened, sprayed with WD40 and closed. Obviously they stopped running the day after and required a real service to fix them.

If you're worried about asking them to work on a rep, then say that someone has given you a gift and that you think it maybe a fake/copy/rep and ask if they'll work on it.

Guest kingfrog

MY Mall FixIT watch place can't repair any automatics.....Basically battery changers. One of the reasons I rather buy Citizens, Ritmos Seikos Bulovas ETC for $300+. I cannot find a local watchmaker who will service a counterfeit watch. Some of them stop within months. Plus many are selling for over $500.  I won't pay $300+ for any Chinese watch. Especially Chronos with 7750s

Gotta ask. Why are you in here at all? You clearly have no love or desire for owning reps. Trolling maybe?

I have been a part of this hobby for only a year. But, I do have a box full of reps and have yet to have a single one one fail on me. These include a number of A7750 based chronos.

Do I expect Gen-like performance over the long haul? Not at all. But I'm not spending Gen money either. Could I afford gen versions of all 17 reps in my watch box? Nope. Do I pretend that they are gens when questioned? Nope!

I enjoy them for what they are. Regardless of any and all shortcomings, they really are quite well made for the price paid.

The hobby seems not to be for you, so accept it and troll elsewhere.

MY Mall FixIT watch place can't repair any automatics.....Basically battery changers. One of the reasons I rather buy Citizens, Ritmos Seikos Bulovas ETC for $300+. I cannot find a local watchmaker who will service a counterfeit watch. Some of them stop within months. Plus many are selling for over $500. I won't pay $300+ for any Chinese watch. Especially Chronos with 7750s

The way I see it is if a replica or any relatively low value watch is running Ok...let it go until it acts up.

When a Chinese powered replica causes trouble (DG, NN, Sea Gull etc) replace it with a new movement if the rest of the watch is worth it.

If it is a Chinese etaclone, replace it with a swiss Eta if $$ allows. This is an expensive proposition if it is an A7750 though.

I have had a few Chinese powered replicas that still run Ok after 5 years and have a few that were just barely running when new and quit soon after. All in all they are just not very good with Sea Gull being the best of the bunch in my experience. Etaclones are Ok if they run all right to begin with but not worth spending much $$ on repairs imho. Time and date swiss Etas are worth a reasonable repair cost but not worth spending close to what a new one sells for (around $200 for 28xx now). The catch is that a lot of 'new' swiss Etas have been stored for 5 to 10 years and need c/o to get them in good running order.

Things were a lot different a few years ago when a new swiss Eta 2836 sold for $59 but now anything mechanical from Switzerland is rapidly getting too expensive.

There is a LOT to be said for quartz watches. After wearing a mechanical watch for a week or two being careful not to slam it or drop it and having to wear it to make it run etc, it's a great relief to put a quartz watch on. Matter of fact, I am wearing a late 1980s quartz Zodiac 'red dot' dive watch now after putting up with a 1520 powered '5513' Frankenstein for a couple weeks.

A replica oysterquartz DJ or Omg SMP would be nice.

Gotta ask. Why are you in here at all? You clearly have no love or desire for owning reps. Trolling maybe?

The hobby seems not to be for you, so accept it and troll elsewhere.

Look into Gulag section of RWG cousin. Hbaxter user. He was trolling there too. Such a ass hat...