When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Submariner FrankenBuild Information

HTH

Hello All, I'm obviously attempting to build a franken submariner (not the datejust), I am just having trouble sourcing a case, which I'd like to get to start this. Any time I have a project I buy one piece that forces me to finish :p

I've been led to believe by many forum posts that I have found that TC makes the best non-authentic case around. However his blog hasnt been updated in a while and he states on his website he requires Western Union from first time buyers, which to me is a massive red flag having used paypal for years now and getting burned the only time I ever used WU. Just seems to me paypal is the sensible option what with their protection for everyone involved..

Ideally I'd like a watch made from the following:

Replica Case and bracelet

Swiss ETA Movement

Everything else gen, or at least as close as possible.

I can spend around 1000$ on this endeavor though theres obviously some flexibility. I think that by using a rep case band and movement I should have eliminated most of the 1000$+ parts. I realize that will require lots of wheeling and dealing but from my research it seems possible. I could be wayyy off base though!

I noticed this forum is still pretty active so if someone could please help me locate the starting point (good case) for this project I'd be extremely grateful.

Also, I'm shooting for a stainless case + band with black bezel/dial.

Edited by HTH

Yes, use a TC case, you are safe to use WU with him, he is a trusted seller/dealer.

TC doesn't use ETA though, he has his owner movement supplier.

A TC Sub is $585 I think

New ETA movement will be $225 ish

Gen dial $400

Gen crystal $250

Gen insert $150

Gen crown $100

So total about $1700, you will probably be able to sell the TC dial, insert, movement, crystal for about $300 but need someone to put it all together which i guess would be about $150.

So total about $1500 using decent correct model gen parts.

It will be cheaper if you use worn or scratched parts that won't look as good.

I would suggest you start with a TC like others have said. I just received my 16610LV from TC and it feels more gen than my franken 16800. 

Stock TC LV on right (he also makes a 16610ln which it sounds like you're after)

16800 with gen dial, bezel insert, crown

IMG_6789.jpg

• Like 1

Guest baleinedessable

For this kind of budget..

TC : 585 USD

Gen Insert : 100 USD (I have one on the sale section)

Gen crown : 50 USD

Gen Crystal : 200 USD

That's a minimum.

Then... It's up to you :

Gen bezel assembly : 500 USD

Gen Dial : 300/400 USD.. (does not worh it, needs to cut the feet for your ETA)

Yuki 3135 : 300

Yuki FRANKENED : 700

Gen 93250 buckle : 200

Gen 93250 Band : 800

It's limitless... But a "Genuine" pleasure to build ! FInding the matching "Year parts", M serie etc...

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, sorry everyone life got super hectic for a bit there, haven't had a chance to check anything on the internet for a while.

I haven't given up the goal, I've emailed TC and am looking around for Gen parts to pick up to fit to his sub

I figure since I'm extremely uncomfortable using WU I might just need to buy the gen parts first to get my rep to where he wants it. Not the ideal situation but I really love that watch of his and at least buyimg the gen parts will force me to actually add them to the watch :p Never know it might be good enough the way it is for my tastes!

And yes I know he is a respected/trusted seller, it is not at all meant to be an insult, just a personal thing that I'm gonna try and work around.

I thank you all for your input :) I like to build things up from nothing, done it to lots of cars but enevr watches, but I'm ready to start :)!

You wont be able to make a superfranken sub for 1000$ but you can definetly make a all gen but movement datejust-build for 1000$!

With the way current Rolex parts prices are now, it's much more difficult these days to come in under $1,000 for a DateJust that was all gen except the movement. Would be doubly difficult with an ETA movement and if you were doing one with a WG bezel (16014, for example).

Edited by tomhorn

Well, I really do have my heart set on a Sub, something about it, I think its the part with the crown tbh, none of the other rolexs look as nice to me if they lack that raise part to the case..

if I need to spend more over a span of time then such is life. Can't have nice things without money right?

• Like 1

With the way current Rolex parts prices are now, it's much more difficult these days to come in under $1,000 for a DateJust that was all gen except the movement. Would be doubly difficult with an ETA movement and if you were doing one with a WG bezel (16014, for example).

I think 1k is pretty much the going rate for such projects. After all, you can get the gen for 2k. 1603, 16030 for an example, maybe 1601. 

I think 1k is pretty much the going rate for such projects. After all, you can get the gen for 2k. 1603, 16030 for an example, maybe 1601. 

Assuming you shop extremely well it's possible. Quick look on eBay and the cheapest prices for the parts that I can find are:

Gen Rolex 16013 Case Set - current bid $453.00

Gen Rolex 600 YG crown - $49.75 BIN

Gen Rolex TT Bracelet - $600 BIN

Gen Rolex Gold Dial - $69.75 BIN

Raffle's Time Movement ring - $11.95 BIN

ETA 2836 in a donor watch - $66.00 BIN + service; or NOS - $192.00 BIN

Clark's Hands - $14.30 BIN

And the best datewheel overlay for a DJ:

MMM Datewheel overlay - $41.00

So that's $1,305.75 plus service on the donor watch movement. or $1,431.75 with the NOS ETA. Plus assembly if you don't DIY.

Can you save money by being patient and shopping better? Certainly. I would call this the high water mark for the parts.

You can also save money on the bracelet by not going TT (although the cheapest case set I saw was TT. People are out of control in pricing their gen parts on the bay these days).

I got very lucky with some of my purchases so my total came in just under $1,000 (including labor), but you couldn't duplicate the watch now for what I have into it. I doubt I will ever sell it, but to part with it for less than $1,000 would be unthinkable.

I'm not sure if anyone is even talking to me directly anymore haha, but if you are, I will definitely DIY the modifications.

The extra cost of the tools is well worth it in my mind to learn extra skills. Plus I have a fully stocked shop (near enough) to start with.

I doubt I'll spring for the 300$ vintage case back openers or anything but Im sure more reasonably priced tools exist.

And finally, saying "This is a _______ I built" even if I have to shop around, find parts, etc, is always cooler than "bought", in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

Finally, thanks to a change in my job, purchased the TC Sub, I am now looking for a Gen Insert, crown and Non-cyclops crystal to start with, eventually I'll install a franken yuki in it as well.

If anyone has any of those three parts for sale please respond or PM me.