When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Advice on Selling ROO White Themes

garethsm

Hello!

I have a ROO White Themes for sale in the trading section (Disclaimer: I'm genuinely not trying to plug the sale - just get some advice). I thought it would sell quickly, but other than a few messages of interest that didn't go anywhere--two of whom even made offers I accepted but then didn't reply--I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's a White Themes from Joshua on an AP Bands shark strap with deployant, and is currently priced at $525 shipped to CONUS, which I thought was pretty fair.

I've sold a load of watches on here over the years (albeit most of them before the feedback system - hence my relatively lower score) and they've always moved.

My question is this: am I just off on my price expectations, or is it simply the fact there are fewer buyers at the ~$500 price point? In other words, should I be reconsidering my price point and/or buying a cheaper rep strap so I can sell watch and band separately, OR should I just wait for the right buyer to come along?

Again, I'm really, really not trying to plug the sale, which is why I'm not linking to it here. I figure most people who frequent the AP forum will have seen it already, anyway. But as a casual collector, I'd welcome any advice you can offer as people who undoubtedly know the deal with AP rep sales!

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice. :)

Gareth

post-5180-0-44283500-1426172093_thumb.jp

post-5180-0-12931200-1426172098_thumb.jp

post-5180-0-18210700-1426172103_thumb.jp

post-5180-0-72428900-1426172110_thumb.jp

Hello!

I have a ROO White Themes for sale in the trading section (Disclaimer: I'm genuinely not trying to plug the sale - just get some advice). I thought it would sell quickly, but other than a few messages of interest that didn't go anywhere--two of whom even made offers I accepted but then didn't reply--I'm at a bit of a loss.

It's a White Themes from Joshua on an AP Bands shark strap with deployant, and is currently priced at $525 shipped to CONUS, which I thought was pretty fair.

I've sold a load of watches on here over the years (albeit most of them before the feedback system - hence my relatively lower score) and they've always moved.

My question is this: am I just off on my price expectations, or is it simply the fact there are fewer buyers at the ~$500 price point? In other words, should I be reconsidering my price point and/or buying a cheaper rep strap so I can sell watch and band separately, OR should I just wait for the right buyer to come along?

Again, I'm really, really not trying to plug the sale, which is why I'm not linking to it here. I figure most people who frequent the AP forum will have seen it already, anyway. But as a casual collector, I'd welcome any advice you can offer as people who undoubtedly know the deal with AP rep sales!

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice. :)

Gareth

First off, Gareth, that is a Panda or Silver themes. Not a white themes.

For watches like yours (standard watch, nice aftermarket strap), I would recommend you offer an option to sell them separately.

It makes the price more affordable and buyers have a choice.

Patience play a key factor too.. generally, the higher price, the longer you need to wait for a buyer, unless its a really special and rare piece, which I would not consider this watch to be.

Be patient, or drop your price. You will get it sold trust me.

Thank you Legend and 508Fanatic for the responses! I'm glad to hear I wasn't somehow way off on price, and waiting it out was my plan anyway. I'm not desperate to sell so I can afford to give the perfect buyer time to find their perfect watch.

First off, Gareth, that is a Panda or Silver themes. Not a white themes.

For watches like yours (standard watch, nice aftermarket strap), I would recommend you offer an option to sell them separately.

It makes the price more affordable and buyers have a choice.

This alone makes posting in the AP room worthwhile! I will correct the listing posthaste. I didn't pay much attention to the model name when I bought it, I just loved the contrast design. I wonder if Joshua knows he has it listed incorrectly?

Re: offering an option to sell separately, I was thinking along the same lines and added that to the listing with my last price reduction.

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your price is most definitely fair Gareth.

From my experience (and I got a few, look at my trade history ;)), the ROO buyer segment is not as prolific in RWG as the Rolex/Breitling/Panerai crew.

That explains why the rest of your watches sold and this hasn't yet.

Just be patient, you will get there!  

Legend is correct, the AP section here is pretty slow. Obviously not as many folks here that are avid AP fans.

The biggest help to a fast sale are fair price, lots of good well focused photos and a complete description. Just imagine that you are selling your AP to a complete noob. You need to describe it fully and accurately. For instance there is a nice ROO for sale on another forum. To me, it's overpriced, but the description is inadequate. For example he states "Vac ultimate mods" now if you are familiar with Vac, and you know what his ultimate mods are, you are OK, but if you don't, you will look at the price and immediately move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Legend is correct, the AP section here is pretty slow. Obviously not as many folks here that are avid AP fans.

The biggest help to a fast sale are fair price, lots of good well focused photos and a complete description. Just imagine that you are selling your AP to a complete noob. You need to describe it fully and accurately. For instance there is a nice ROO for sale on another forum. To me, it's overpriced, but the description is inadequate. For example he states "Vac ultimate mods" now if you are familiar with Vac, and you know what his ultimate mods are, you are OK, but if you don't, you will look at the price and immediately move on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, just between you and me and the rest of the world, I would eschew anything "Vac modded", ultimate or otherwise. ;)

Personally, just between you and me and the rest of the world, I would eschew anything "Vac modded", ultimate or otherwise. ;)

I agree sir, In fact like you, that is a minus rather than a plus. having had my share of "Vac Modded" watches that came back not running, running poorly or suffering  various misalignment problems. However that's not the point of this thread, it's to try to help as fellow member get his nice watch sold.

I also agree with you that it would be wise to split the watch/strap as and option. Honestly, having put one of my ROO's on a wider band (20mm) like the new 2014 ROO's are coming with and a 20mm tang buckle,  I would never go back to the 18mm with deployant. Others may feel the same, and paying a hundred or so for a strap that they will either stick in  their strap box, or try to sell on, may make them pass on the deal.

My logic when buying a used rep watch is all about discount. Retail $525....used sale price $400. In my opinion, -$125 is worth the risk of it non running like new and covers blemishes (within reason). But.....value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Good luck and nice watch.

My logic when buying a used rep watch is all about discount. Retail $525....used sale price $400. In my opinion, -$125 is worth the risk of it non running like new and covers blemishes (within reason). But.....value is whatever someone is willing to pay. Good luck and nice watch.

If it were being sold head only, or back on the rep strap, that would probably be in line with the price.

Since this isn't a sales thread, I suppose it's OK to smash, bash, dash or maybe send the cash :) I sort of agree about the AP conversion. Why? was this watch originally on a bracelet? I know at the time you thought it was probably the right thing to do, an believe me, I 've bought stuff and later wondering, "what in the Hell was I thinking about". Problem is AP stuff is way overpriced, so once you buy it, it's difficult to move without taking a big hit. And honestly,, when you sell a strap that has as much wear as yours does, you are going to have to be prepared to take a loss. But then, I'm sure you have been around long enough to know how this game works. I seriously like the Panda, but I'm a lume freak, and I already have a Safari with no lume and I really can't justify another one.   

I believe that you are getting down into the right area to move it. Problem is there isn't as much AP activity over here as say RWI. I would seriously consider listing it there if it doesn't move here in a few more days. I would definitely list the AP Bands strap over there and RepGeek as well if they don't sell here.

The AP Conversion was necessary since the lugs on the rep strap that came with the watch were permanently fixed, and the shark strap didn't come with any. Luckily I didn't pay full price on them (even though I listed their full present retail in the 'value' calculation) and in terms of the sale price, I've basically considered them thrown in, based on ~$425 for the head and ~$100 for the band.

Of course, I expect negotiation from anyone over the prices I've listed, and would hope to end up with about $400 for the head or $500 all-in, so it looks like I'm about right based on the suggestions offered... for now!

Thanks again for all the advice!

The AP Conversion was necessary since the lugs on the rep strap that came with the watch were permanently fixed, and the shark strap didn't come with any. Luckily I didn't pay full price on them (even though I listed their full present retail in the 'value' calculation) and in terms of the sale price, I've basically considered them thrown in, based on ~$425 for the head and ~$100 for the band.

Of course, I expect negotiation from anyone over the prices I've listed, and would hope to end up with about $400 for the head or $500 all-in, so it looks like I'm about right based on the suggestions offered... for now!

Thanks again for all the advice!

You know you could have just ordered those plots (endlinks) from a TD for 30-40usd right ;-)