When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

TC LV Build

droptopman

Long and interesting road on this build. I know there are a lot of TC's out there and this is nothing unique or special, but just a story about how builds go sometimes.

Back in October when TC announced that he was doing a new LV with some upgrades, I decided to order one and I believe I had one of the first orders in. Even though I had sworn off modern Rolex’s, I convinced myself that a 2004ish 16610 LV was somewhat “vintage”. Also convinced myself that the green insert was Seahawks green and I was hoping to have this on the wrist for the Super Bowl run. I know…I am still recovering from the last play fiasco.

I contemplated doing a full on franken with gen dial/hands and a Yuki or gen movement, but I am still not sure how much I will wear this so decided to a light franken with a few genuine parts that I felt would make a difference. In my eyes this was going to be a quick and simple build…

Matt agreed to do this build for me. So I started sourcing parts and Matt found me a brand new Swiss ETA 2824. Notice the stamps on the new ETA, they have changed them—maybe because of all the clone movements….He converted the CP to be higher and gen like. It took much longer to receive the watch than expected because of the delays with the new TC LV insert. I had sourced a gen insert anyways so TC shipped the watch directly to Matt without the insert.
Matt assembled the watch (expertly as always) and sent me some pictures. The piece looked great, but I noticed that the lugs on one side appeared thinner than the other. So I asked about it and sure enough one side (front and back) was definitely thinner.
So I sent the case to the “case whisperer” Dbane to thin the lugs on one side to match them up, work the cg’s and do a little brush and polish work. Contemplated doing his magical bevels, but being a 16610 we decided to keep it gen spec.

This is by no means any kind of disrespect to TC and his work. TC is a great asset to our community and a true gentleman. Best Rolex products out there for the money in my humble opinion. This is my third TC watch and I have bought many other TC parts as well and will continue to do so.

The moral of this story is…even when you design what is a simple plan/build things come up that increase costs, time, and effort to complete the project. This watch took about 5 months longer to complete and more $$ as well.

I think she turned out great. The TC dial and hands are just outstanding. I used a genuine 116610 AR/Lec crystal which I know is not period correct, but like the way the date looks better with this crystal. Check out the DWO with this crystal. Genuine LV insert and a genuine 703 crown/tube. TC’s new LV insert is very good, but I had already sourced the gen before I had it in my hands. Just for fun I sourced a period correct genuine LV box set for the pics.

I want to thank both Matt (mymanmatt) and Dbane for helping me with this project. Both are highly skilled professionals, but more so are just great people and folks I call friends. Matt assembled this watch twiceJ

Phone pics:

7bde7492515d58c732d7f2a2d66acc28.jpg
02ca4671b62105fbec95c165373dd558.jpg
00a5070c42c8082e0dde76f21987199a.jpg
ff0331eaca494ae85501ea245a3b964e.jpg
d3cf84963102fadeb5a4290055c3f2a6.jpg
69a5cca200104690d9877f47dd95e2da.jpg
5a37eae047c9fac2b135a27194231b84.jpg
df00006e44ef5c2740ca21dc3fe83d17.jpg
8365737db61aa0f39e81e20b3274d412.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for all the kind words.

I was thinking that prior to getting this complete, the last few weeks was the first time since 1987 that I did not have a Submariner to wear. My 6538 project is still in the works and my 5513 was sent off to dbane for a "makeover" so I have not had a sub to wear recently. Kind of reinforces the fact that the Submariner is my favorite watch of all time.

After wearing this a few days, I must say I really like it. I was unsure if I would like the green insert and non lug hole case. I have worked this bracelet a bunch and it is really smooth and comfortable now. With dbanes case work, the nice bracelet and a few gen goodies, I think she looks and feels very gen like. Thought about buffing out the scratches on the insert, but may just leave them. It is suppose to be a 10 year old watch.....

I'm new to this forum and was wondering what the best way to get a tc lv sub type 2? I like the fact that i can put a gen insert.

Google "TC Submariner" and you'll find his site. Word of advice, he doesn't sell to newbies so get some feedback and meaningful post because he will ask for references before selling to a new customer.

Google "TC Submariner" and you'll find his site. Word of advice, he doesn't sell to newbies so get some feedback and meaningful post because he will ask for references before selling to a new customer.

Thanks so much for that info. It will be a bit before I can afford to get the watches I want though because of $. In the meantime I will learn as much as possible. But maybe I will have to do a deal or 2 just to get some references.