When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Breitling AD loved my SubC V4/V5

technit1957

Hello All,

I had a strange expierence this weekend. I sold a couple of gen Breitling SA's and meet the buyer at a Breitling AD at the mall. I debated whether or not to take of the SubC V4 I was wearing but decided to wear it while making the transaction. The buyer meet me inside at the Brietling AD and we proceeded with the sale. The AD pulled out his loupe and started to authenticate the Super Avengers for the buyer. While the Ad was inspecting the SA's my buyer spotted my Sub C. He went on about how beautiful it was and he was going to save up for one next time. He asked me if he could try it on. I panicked and took it off and handed him my watch. The AD finished his inpection of the SA's and as the buyer took off my Sub he handed it to the AD. I almost died when the AD started looking at it with the loupe. It was a brief inspection but the AD loved the watch and in the same breath gave my buyer the green light on the sale. Im sure i was beet red and sweating through my shirt. I collected my money and off I went. OK, this AD was a Breitling dealer but the V4 V5 was good enough for him.

Still in all, had the guy been a "closet" Rolex guy, you could have been in a potentially embarrassing situation. Would have been pretty bad had the guy handed the watch back to you and said "nice fake" and at the same time the Breitling buyer picks up his money and takes off!! That's why we have rules here about wearing your reps into and AD, even if it's not that brand's AD. Some of the old guys have and amazing knowledge of watches and they handle plenty of them over time, and not all are their brands. Best not to temp fate.

I have been wearing Reps for 5 years now. In 5 years I have had 2 people say something about the brand of watch I was wearing. I was tempting fate, wearing a Rep into an AD. However, when you think about it, 2 high end watch enthusiast held it and one even looked at it under a loupe. Yes, that should have never happened. I will never wear a Rep into an AD again. I just thought it surprising that they couldn't tell.

I'm not going to be sanctimonious and lecture you here because I have been guilty of wearing reps to buy gens at more than one gen AD too. ;)

The facts I learnt:

-most sales reps would not know the difference between a gen and well-made rep, unless he's a knowledgable rep collector himself, or the rep is horrible. It takes talent, or a very badly made rep, for it to be called out on the wrist

- if you already bought a gen from him, any rep you wear in there has a good chance of being passed off as another gen in your collection.

- the most common comment by far I get, wearing either a gen or rep into an AD, is "nice watch" and very little beyond that.

I do not purposefully wear my reps to any genuine brand ADs, but sometimes I do happen to pass by one and enter on impulse to buy a watch I see in the window display, or to chat with a sales staff I know from previous dealings. I do not generally hand a rep over for inspection unless I'm ultra confident of it's build and accuracy (frankens, and 2-3 out of box models I would not name here lest it encourages newbies to do the same :D)

But yes I consciously try to avoid wearing a rep to a boutique for gens, and if I do, I keep very quiet about it.

Reps these days are very well made. I am certain you did not attempt to fool anyone, but was just wearing it for your own pleasure like many of us. ;)

Sent from Mars using tapatalk