When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Sending gifts

alterego

Hello. I'm purchasing watch from a forum member and he asked me to send the funds as "gift." I have no clue about this and I'd be thankful  if somebody would comment or PM me about how to do it.

Thank you

When sending funds as gift select for family and friends vs payment for goods or services. Just my 2 cents, unless you know and trust the seller whatever savings on your end by not covering the fees might be a risk as sending funds via gift leave you with little recourse if the deal goes south.

Using PayPal choose "gift" option for " friends and family". This allows neither party to deal with "fees". It is designed to be able to send money for reasons other than goods/ services. This is the way most m2m purchases are made. Obviously there is a level of trust involved, as your recourse is less strong if the deal goes bad. But remember what you are buying. I've never had a problem, and most folks are pretty reputable.

Thank you both for the tip. I tried and surprisinly the option "sending money" which is the starting pointo for choosing friends and family versus Payment is not in the  bar. Right next to ACCOUNT the only option is sending payment. As I'm accessing PP from South America I wonder if PayPal has different option policies for different parts in the world. What is bothering me is that I have to satisfy the sller's request for sending the payment as "gift", so as to avoid paying the fees.

As a general rule, I will never send money as a gift. You lose any chance at recourse if the deal goes bad. Send it normally and pay the fee so the seller gets the amount you agreed upon. If the seller refuses, then don't do the deal.

My exceptions to the rule are if the amount is insignificant, or I have done business with the seller before and don't care if I lose both the money and whatever I am purchasing.

As has been said, only use 'gift payment' for someone you know and trust. I was asked for it on one of my first M2M purchases here and the seller scammed people out of a lot of money. Fortunately I took the above advice and I paid the extra for the PayPal fees and I managed to recover all my money.

Sorry I've been in the rep game long enough to never pay by gift, ever. 

Even trusted dealers, sellers and modders have been known to "disappear" with no apparent reason.

I agree. This is a tricky world and it's better being cautious than naive. As you  probably noticed in another thread I started yesterday, a friend was ripped off  when impulsively bought a 6538 frankedn rep he though was a gen.  I don't know how much paid for it, but I'm sure he paid a few grand for it and I'm afraid hel'll never get his money back from the inescrupulous seller.

I use gift payment all the time with friends or people on the forums I deal with regularly or if it is an amount I am not concerned about losing.  People I do not know I will not pay by gift.  If one of my friends falls off the deep end and burns me, so be it.