When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

White 6542?

droptopman

Rolex applied for a new GMT patent this month. Looks like the bezel will actually operate GMT function. There is a thread over on TRF. Lots of speculation on if it will be a new SS Pepsi. Maybe a white dialed Pepsi...that would be a modern Rolex I would love to see.

• Like 1

Rolex applied for a new GMT patent this month. Looks like the bezel will actually operate GMT function. There is a thread over on TRF. Lots of speculation on if it will be a new SS Pepsi. Maybe a white dialed Pepsi...that would be a modern Rolex I would love to see.

Thanks for sharing this. Great read. I agree that a new stainless pepsi would be fantastic to see. Fingers crossed!

I've commented on this topic several times before, but while I really want to believe that the white dial 6542's really exist, I find it very troubling that up til now, not one shred of evidence to support their purchase by PanAm has been forthcoming. It would seem that over the years someone who owned, or inherited one of these watches would have presented some documentation to support the fact that the watch was presented to the owner by PanAm. Even and old photo of a PanAm executive wearing his white dial 6542 would go a long way toward settling the controversy once and for all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Generally, I would agree (& did originally). But in view of the numerous limited-run, prototype & custom Daytona dials that have suddenly appeared in auctions & personal collections over the past 10 or so years, if there is 1 truism that keeps repeating itself over & over again when it comes to Rolex - especially the Rolex of the 50s-80s - it is to never say never.

Generally, I would agree (& did originally). But in view of the numerous limited-run, prototype & custom Daytona dials that have suddenly appeared in auctions & personal collections over the past 10 or so years, if there is 1 truism that keeps repeating itself over & over again when it comes to Rolex - especially the Rolex of the 50s-80s - it is to never say never.

You are correct, the Rolex of that era was very different in that they made a lot of limited run watches, from watches for sporting events, jewelers,military forces, private companies, which is quite different from today. The one constant though is the companies history of not releasing any information about their products. Rolex SA could settle this argument in 5 minutes! Simple statement, "yes there were white dial 6542's or, no we never produced a white dial 6542." But they won't so the speculation goes on.

Good afternoon gentlemen,

I think we can all agree that Stefano Mazzariol is recognized as the world's highest authority on all-things-Rolex. This is what he has to say about the "albino" 6542 on his blog:

http://stefanomazzariol.blogspot.com/2010/02/rolex-gmt-master-ref-6542-albino.html

which inevitably leads us to conclude that Rolex did at least issue one white-dialed 6542 therefore that's not a legend anymore. We will of course never hold a 100% rock-solid proof of that until someone from Rolex confirms but, as Panerai pointed out, they will never say anything so the world will have to take the above for granted since there's Mr Mazzariol's word and reputation behind his statement. :)

Edited by Lo'
typo

...I find it very troubling that up til now, not one shred of evidence to support their purchase by PanAm has been forthcoming......Even an old photo of a PanAm executive wearing his white dial 6542 would go a long way toward settling the controversy once and for all.

I'm guessing that the painstaking work it took to make this exclusive report for RWG isn't good enough for you? https://rwg.cc/topic/127434-pilot’s-cabin-or-executive-suite-no-the-mail-room

I'm guessing that the painstaking work it took to make this exclusive report for RWG isn't good enough for you? https://rwg.cc/topic/127434-pilot’s-cabin-or-executive-suite-no-the-mail-room

Joey,

Every time I read your story, I laugh. That is a great tale, and who knows, you may be right!!!! No one else has any more proof that their version is any more accurate than yours.